Manufacturing Rifles without an FFL?

This is a discussion on Manufacturing Rifles without an FFL? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was talking to someone at my range the other day and he said that he builds custom AR-15's and sells them privatly. I asked ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Manufacturing Rifles without an FFL?

I was talking to someone at my range the other day and he said that he builds custom AR-15's and sells them privatly. I asked him if he was a dealer and he said no and that you do not require an FFL if you stay under so many rifles per year. He told me the number but i forgot it.

My question is, If i were to legally buy stripped lower recievers from either the internet or a gun store and i custom built these rifles at my house from scrath, posted the rifles on something like gunbroker or armslist and sold them via transfer through an FFL does this make me a manufacturer? Would i need an FFL to do this. In reality its like im buying a gun for myself and reselling it.

If anyone has any knowledge on this subject your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Far to many tangents for me to comment other than it's not something I would do other than on a one-time basis. There's just so many ways this could go wrong.
    Retired USAF E-8. Official forum curmudgeon.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sorry for the horrible Rhetoric, Im a chef not an english teacher.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    The problem lies in the fact that, yes, you can manufacture a firearm for personal use--no S/N even needed. To manufacture for sell requires federal licensing, business licenses. etc. No one would be concerned if you build a firearm for yourself from manufactured components (commercial lower, etc.), nor if at some point down the road you decided to sell it to upgrade or build something else. That's a personal transaction. The problem comes when someone is doing it for profit and doing it repeatedly, that opens up a new bag of worms. Now you've become a firearms dealer, and everyone from the feds on down to your local municipality wants a piece of that economic pie.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Official forum curmudgeon.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by PSUFreak View Post
    I was talking to someone at my range the other day and he said that he builds custom AR-15's and sells them privatly. I asked him if he was a dealer and he said no and that you do not require an FFL if you stay under so many rifles per year. He told me the number but i forgot it.

My question is, If i were to legally buy stripped lower recievers from either the internet or a gun store and i custom built these rifles at my house from scrath, posted the rifles on something like gunbroker or armslist and sold them via transfer through an FFL does this make me a manufacturer? Would i need an FFL to do this. In reality its like im buying a gun for myself and reselling it.

If anyone has any knowledge on this subject your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    I think you are reading this correctly but an internet forum is not a place to ask important questions. I'd PM Hotguns if i were you and he will point you in the right direction.
    I American and I Ameriwill!

Distinguished Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    I looked into it as well as I have a CnC machine in my shop capable of making the parts.Upon asking questions,I could indeed make 1 for myself with no serial numbers required but could not sell it or make more than one. At least that is the answer I got from reading the paperwork

Thumbs down

I think the OP here should be asking an attorney who is hip to all this stuff or an FFL holder in the making of guns, custom jobs and the like.

I see too much of what happened to Randy Weaver here when some ATF people asked him to saw down a shotgun barrel and Randy finally agreed just to get those people off his back and then his world turned into a ship sandwich. All I see is ambush here.

Ya know OP most folks start out introducing themselves. You should try that instead.

Sponsored Links