Manufacturing Rifles without an FFL?

This is a discussion on Manufacturing Rifles without an FFL? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was talking to someone at my range the other day and he said that he builds custom AR-15's and sells them privatly. I asked ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Manufacturing Rifles without an FFL?

I was talking to someone at my range the other day and he said that he builds custom AR-15's and sells them privatly. I asked him if he was a dealer and he said no and that you do not require an FFL if you stay under so many rifles per year. He told me the number but i forgot it.

My question is, If i were to legally buy stripped lower recievers from either the internet or a gun store and i custom built these rifles at my house from scrath, posted the rifles on something like gunbroker or armslist and sold them via transfer through an FFL does this make me a manufacturer? Would i need an FFL to do this. In reality its like im buying a gun for myself and reselling it.

If anyone has any knowledge on this subject your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Far to many tangents for me to comment other than it's not something I would do other than on a one-time basis. There's just so many ways this could go wrong.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sorry for the horrible Rhetoric, Im a chef not an english teacher.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The problem lies in the fact that, yes, you can manufacture a firearm for personal use--no S/N even needed. To manufacture for sell requires federal licensing, business licenses. etc. No one would be concerned if you build a firearm for yourself from manufactured components (commercial lower, etc.), nor if at some point down the road you decided to sell it to upgrade or build something else. That's a personal transaction. The problem comes when someone is doing it for profit and doing it repeatedly, that opens up a new bag of worms. Now you've become a firearms dealer, and everyone from the feds on down to your local municipality wants a piece of that economic pie.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSUFreak View Post
    I was talking to someone at my range the other day and he said that he builds custom AR-15's and sells them privatly. I asked him if he was a dealer and he said no and that you do not require an FFL if you stay under so many rifles per year. He told me the number but i forgot it.

My question is, If i were to legally buy stripped lower recievers from either the internet or a gun store and i custom built these rifles at my house from scrath, posted the rifles on something like gunbroker or armslist and sold them via transfer through an FFL does this make me a manufacturer? Would i need an FFL to do this. In reality its like im buying a gun for myself and reselling it.

If anyone has any knowledge on this subject your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    I think you are reading this correctly but an internet forum is not a place to ask important questions. I'd PM Hotguns if i were you and he will point you in the right direction.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    I looked into it as well as I have a CnC machine in my shop capable of making the parts.Upon asking questions,I could indeed make 1 for myself with no serial numbers required but could not sell it or make more than one. At least that is the answer I got from reading the paperwork

Thumbs down

I think the OP here should be asking an attorney who is hip to all this stuff or an FFL holder in the making of guns, custom jobs and the like.

I see too much of what happened to Randy Weaver here when some ATF people asked him to saw down a shotgun barrel and Randy finally agreed just to get those people off his back and then his world turned into a ship sandwich. All I see is ambush here.

Ya know OP most folks start out introducing themselves. You should try that instead.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Links