Interesting Find: Durham NC man digs up live cannonball

This is a discussion on Interesting Find: Durham NC man digs up live cannonball within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; IIRC correctly a man in Virginia was killed a few years ago after finding a loaded cannonball and it exploded. Durham man digs up live ...

VIP Member

IIRC correctly a man in Virginia was killed a few years ago after finding a loaded cannonball and it exploded.

Durham man digs up live cannonball

Durham, N.C. — A Durham County bomb squad defused a cannonball Monday that a man dug up last month while doing landscaping work in his yard, authorities said.

The man found the cannonball June 16 and decided later to take it to an antique dealer in Hillsborough, said Deputy Paul Sherwin, spokesman for the Durham County Sheriff's Office. The dealer ordered him out of the store and told him to call authorities, saying the cannonball could be live ordnance.
    Durham man digs up live cannonball :: WRAL.com

I live near two battlegrounds and along the route of Sherman’s rampage.

http://www.nchistoricsites.org/bentonvi/

http://www.goldsboroughbridge.com/10.html

http://www.nccivilwar150.com/history/sherman.htm
    Last edited by msgt/ret; July 5th, 2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Additional info.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    I somehow missed this one. Well, Durham is da bomb. Har har har

My place is on what was once the target area for 2 of Camp Butner ranges during WWII. I can't run a metal detector in a straight line for 4' without finding shrapnel. So I just quit doing it. The Army Corp of Moron-eers still finds live unexploded ordnance (UXO) on private land on a very regular basis. Sadly, their total lack of respect for the land and land owner is only exceeded by their ability to lie to that same land owner without so much as a sideways glance. Most of us out here have concluded that living with UXO's and the inherent danger that goes with them is better than letting our Govt representatives on the property. Sad, ain't it?
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    IIRC correctly a man in Virginia was killed a few years ago after finding loaded cannonball and it exploded.

NC Historic Sites - Bentonville Battlefield

Battle History - Goldsborough Bridge Battlefield Association

North Carolina Civil War Sesquicentennial

I was born and raised in Johnston County. Spent a lot of time at Bentonville, worked summers at Camp Tuscarora when I was a teenager. I even participated in a "History Bowl" they used to have at Bentonville every year. It was a quiz bowl / contest sot of thing that encouraged us to learn civil war history.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    IIRC correctly a man in Virginia was killed a few years ago after finding a loaded cannonball and it exploded.

NC Historic Sites - Bentonville Battlefield

Battle History - Goldsborough Bridge Battlefield Association

North Carolina Civil War Sesquicentennial
    Yep... VA Man died around 2008-09ish iirc. He was known in the relic community for restoring cannon balls etc... Apparently he was DRILLING a cannonball and it went boom. IIRC chunks of that ball punched through a house 1/4 mile away.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    There's probably a million cannonballs buried in the Civil War areas. Actually, I'm surprised more aren't dug up when excavating for sub divisions and the like.

Now drilling one...that seems like a bad idea, I don't care how much of an expert you are.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Links