Does anyone listen to scanners?

This is a discussion on Does anyone listen to scanners? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not since i turned in my pack set lol ( hand held radio ) Unless your small town scanners are going to be an annyance ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone listen to scanners?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Not since i turned in my pack set lol ( hand held radio ) Unless your small town scanners are going to be an annyance , not a real benifit day to day . If you know everyone in town then hearing who officaly did what can be intresting , if not ... i would say dont bother , and the secure channels arnt ... but again if you dont know the folks involved why bother to decript them .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

two websites that will help;

WWW.RADIOreference.com
    www.eham.net

You can then search for the types and prices of scanners that will pick up your area services.
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    Amateur Radio License KE5LDO

Quote Originally Posted by tj1231 View Post
    Boise, City of

453.30000 458.30000 WPYF663 RM 167.9 PL A Police - Primary FM
    453.35000 458.35000 WPYF663 RM 167.9 PL B Police - Valley Tactical FM
    453.42500 458.42500 WPYF663 RM 167.9 PL C Police - Bench Dispatch FM
    453.57500 458.57500 WPYF663 RM 167.9 PL D Police - Bench Tactical FM
    453.90000 458.90000 WPYF663 RM 167.9 PL E Police - Tactical FM
    453.17500 458.17500 WPYF663 RM 167.9 PL F Police - Administration FM
    453.47500 458.47500 KRO367 RM 167.9 PL Police - Narcotics (Encrypted) FM
    453.57500 458.57500 WPYF663 RM 167.9 PL Police - Narcotics (DVP Encryption Used) FM

What does RM(type) stand for? This all seems much more difficult than I expected LOL.
    Those are repeater pairs, so you'd need to program both, and listen for a bit to figure out which is the output frequency. Once you've got that, you can lock out the input, and just use it in case something goes screwy with the repeater.

The PL tones are a nice feature if you can find a scanner that uses them, but most of the stuff you find at Radio Shack won't have that. You won't miss anything without them, but they do cut down on the interference.

If you really want pretty much the best non-trunked ~$200 scanner, check this one out:
    Yaesu VR-120D AM/FM broadcast bands, shortwave, all the regular scanner bands, and it's a lot smaller than the Radio Shack stuff. It also claims 20 hours on 2AAs, which is about what most of the others claim for 4AAs. The only real drawback is the lack of direct entry keypad, but if it's like other Yaesu products, they've probably found some way to make it easier than I might expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post

*Just a heads up, if you think the ATFE is harsh, just try to mess with the FCC! Had a friend that got those GRS radios and didn't get a call sign and was using the GRS freqs... got fined way above the $80 it costs per person per call sign.

I would LOVE to hear that story.
    Did he by chance talk on a repeater? I know there are a lot of GMRS repeaters, and your not supposed to get on those if your not permitted.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

I used to have one, then I could hear neighbors convos. pawned it.

I have a Radio Shack Pro-97. Its awesome. I try to listen to it quite a bit but my wife gets annoyed pretty quickly.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Why? All the "good stuff" is either on an encrypted channel or the Officers use a Cell Phone. Most everything else is House Keeping. Dispatch sending someone to check on an abandoned car, dead cat, stolen bicycle, or fender bender.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Mine has a signal stalker. I use it occasionally when I go to town. I can pick up drive throughs. I'll actually use this to get an idea of what sounds good.

The most important thing, I was listening one day while my wife was still at work. There was a 911 call from the bank not one block from where she works. I wasn't too far from where she works either. I heard the LEO's try to manuever themselves quitly around the building. I was at my wifes work very quickly. Probably a stupid thing but if there was a bank robbery not a block from her, I wanted to make sure I was there with/for her. Turned out to be nothing but still pretty interesting.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

well, I saw a cheap pro92 today and picked it up. Once I got all the local frequencies entered, it works pretty well. I've heard 2 suicide calls, and some kids getting busted smoking dope under a bridge in the last 3 hours. Now to figure out what the heck they're saying the other half of the time!

Quote Originally Posted by tj1231 View Post
    well, I saw a cheap pro92 today and picked it up. Once I got all the local frequencies entered, it works pretty well. I've heard 2 suicide calls, and some kids getting busted smoking dope under a bridge in the last 3 hours. Now to figure out what the heck they're saying the other half of the time!
    Make yourself a list of 10-codes as you hear them, and write down anything you can gather from context until you figure out what they mean.

Bar nights can make for some entertainment, and now that McDonalds is doing the 24hr drive-thru thing, our local one seems to have a policy of reporting any obvious drunks that come through. After three drunks in an hour one night last week, one of the cops commented that they should sell off their cars and just open their own all-night fast food place closer to the jail.

Another local all-nighter steadfastly refuses to report drunks unless they start tearing the place up, and just can't understand why McD's has less-than-one-minute average response times to police calls while they're around three minutes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    code 100 on signal 1 with massive 99, what is all that?!"
    In our hotel, Code 100 is a request for maintenace to fixed clogged toilet. The rest of your code well.......it applies too!too
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator

I have a Radio Shack portable.
    It's a 1,000 channels (triple trunking) scanner.
    Not sure exactly which model # but, it was right up at the top of the line when we bought it.
    I used to just keep it locked on my local Police & Fire.
    Be aware of the fact though that if any Police action gets really hot and heavy - most Police switch their critical communication over to personal cell phones.
    The sound quality is great. I don't use it much these days though.

Suggestion: If you buy one Buy the optional AC Adapter because they EAT AA batteries even with the Power Save feature on.

It does not just eat them - it has an insatiable appetite for them.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    In our hotel, Code 100 is a request for maintenace to fixed clogged toilet. The rest of your code well.......it applies too!too
    I didnt think anyone would pick up on that
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have had scanners since the 70's. I currently have three - a base, mobile and a hand-held. All of them are Uniden Bearcat, trunked models. The base stays on 24-7. The better ones have the weather alert functions, which is a must-have feature. Once you learn the codes, it gets much more interesting. We always know if there are any fires in the area, police chases, etc. A lot of the smaller commuties are not trunked, but I would definately advise getting the trunked model. It workes on either mode. If you get one, I'll bet you'll like it. I can only recommentd Bearcat. I've had the Radio Shack units, and IMO, they are not high quality products, as is true for most of their chinese junk. Right now, we're listening to the ham radio weather watchers track a possible tornado thru Arlington Texas. Very interesting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links