PLANE CRASH Landing San Francisco - Just Now

This is a discussion on PLANE CRASH Landing San Francisco - Just Now within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 4:00 pm EST: No word on causalities. " BOEING 777 CRASHES Parts of roof charred, ripped off Plane was landing in San Francisco " "You ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: PLANE CRASH Landing San Francisco - Just Now

PLANE CRASH Landing San Francisco - Just Now

4:00 pm EST: No word on causalities.

"BOEING 777 CRASHES

Parts of roof charred, ripped off

Plane was landing in San Francisco
    "

"You immediately saw a large, brief fireball," one witness says of Flight 214, which was en route from Seoul, South Korea. On the runway, evacuation slides could be seen on one side of the aircraft. FULL STORY"

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News
    Last edited by detective; July 6th, 2013 at 05:55 PM.

2. Remove Ads

My guess is loss of power in one or both engines, pilots pulled nosed up in hopes of making runway, tail strikes ground and plane dumps into the ground.

EDIT: Just saw a pic on FOX. It looks like the pilot landed WAAAY short. Tail might have hit the water and jetty which knocked it off.
    detective likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    My guess is loss of power in one or both engines, pilots pulled nosed up in hopes of making runway, tail strikes ground and plane dumps into the ground.

EDIT: Just saw a pic on FOX. It looks like the pilot landed WAAAY short. Tail might have hit the water and jetty which knocked it off.
    Any news on causalities? - from the photo that plane was really burned, though one side wasn't bad.

130706153321-san-fransisco-plane-crash-02-c1-main.jpg

On second thought, I just saw another photo and a shot on a live feed from video. I think it showed partial inside of cabin. Don't see how there could not be injuries or worse... Pray I'm wrong.

130706160248-san-fransisco-plane-crash-12-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Fox News is saying it struck a sea wall just before the runway. Also says "passengers appear to be safe".
    detective likes this.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Update, 48 injured, may be 2 dead.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    All channels are reporting that everyone got off the plane, one critical.
    That would be a miracle - must have been a great crew that evacuated so fast! Look of that plane not a second to lose getting passengers off...

Distinguished Member
    One of my worst nightmares ever. Looking at the wreck, it's a miracle that anyone got off alive. I hope the causality list doesn't go higher.
    detective likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    One of my worst nightmares ever. Looking at the wreck, it's a miracle that anyone got off alive. I hope the causality list doesn't go higher.
    The drive to the airport is many orders of magnitude more dangerous than the flight is.
    blitzburgh and msgt/ret like this.

The drive to the airport is many orders of magnitude more dangerous than the flight is.
    You got that right. But there's something about a metal tube flying through the sky, and my lack of understanding about the physics of flight, that make me always uneasy when taking off and landing.
    detective and Patti like this.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I always feel a great sense of peace and calm when I sit down in my seat (until somebody's baby starts crying, kicking the back of my seat, etc.) because if I know if anything goes wrong, it should be over pretty quickly.
    detective likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    My brain knows that but my psyche says to ignore all reason and
    detective likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I always feel a great sense of peace and calm when I sit down in my seat (until somebody's baby starts crying, kicking the back of my seat, etc.) because if I know if anything goes wrong, it should be over pretty quickly.
    Unless it's like this crash in my hometown where the victims survived the initial impact but then couldn't get out of the plane and burned to death.

Kentucky Plane Crash Kills 49; Crew Member Is Only Survivor | Fox News
    blitzburgh likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Yeah but not soon enough for me. Whenever we fly I always watch my husband out of the corner of my eye (he's a pilot). If he starts gripping the arm rest I'm going to start screaming...just to let others know how the flight's going.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Unless it's like this crash in my hometown where the victims survived the initial impact but then couldn't get out of the plane and burned to death.

Kentucky Plane Crash Kills 49; Crew Member Is Only Survivor | Fox News
    I always pretend, in my mind, that they died of smoke inhalation before the flames got to them because the alternative is too horrific.
    blitzburgh likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And the unemployment numbers tick upward a few more points.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links