Dogs

This is a discussion on Dogs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I agree that a dog is a good home alarm. Does anybody have experience with trained attack dogs for the home?...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dogs

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Dogs

I agree that a dog is a good home alarm.

Does anybody have experience with trained attack dogs for the home?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Yes. What do you want to know, besides never ever ever call them "attack" dogs?

Here is a good place to start, search Schutzhund. Please remember that having such an animal is a huge commitment in all ways possible. Do your research, join a local club to get EXPERIENCED guidance BEFORE you buy your dog. Way to many people buy these dogs and have no clue what they are getting into. I was active in the sport a few years ago, but gave it up because I could not commit the time required to do it right. I now have one GSD as a pet, he's all the "attack" dog I need. I am still very active in our depts. K9 program.
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 23rd, 2006 at 06:24 PM.

Don't Need a 'Trained'...

attack dog, unless you're a trained handler. Unless of course, you have a lot of money to shell out to the first person he/she bites.

In my opinion, OMO, just a big dog will do just fine. My 125# Rhodesian Ridgeback is not a trained 'attack' dog. Most of his training has involved eating and sleeping...but..I would challenge anyone to come in to our home uninvited...he will take 'a bite out of crime'. He is pretty much aloof to people who come in to our home, but he does not like strange movements and carefully seems to analyze the situation. Move funny?...and you have 125#'s of lightning fast teeth getting your attention. Our other dog, a 'Golden', is just there to take names...

Big dogs have that 'bark', deep and full...enough to keep strangers thinking about perhaps picking another house...perhaps with a small poodle?

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Get a quote from your homeowners insurance company before you buy a dog.

Some companies will raise your rates depending on what breed of dog you have. --------

Administrator
    Ridgeback's are awesome dogs!

Sixto...

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Ridgeback's are awesome dogs!
    Thanks, and it is too bad 'Grady' wasn't outside three nights ago when that 'dirtbag' was going through cars (mine included) in our neighborhood.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    If Grady was, I'm sure the whole neighborhood would have known about it. I'm suprised the ridgebacks are not as popular as Labs for family dogs.

Sixto...Me Too...

Great dogs...love people that they trust...takes a while. In our home, with us there, just a couple of minutes!

There are two in our neighborhood...

I post a pic, if I knew how!

ret

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Alot of larger breed dogs are naturally protective. If you get one or more of these dogs and raise them with alot of care and attention they will pretty much protect the house and owners. I would recommend basic obedience training at least. I have a trio of Rottweilers that watch my property, and family. The majority of these dogs are very intelligent and naturally protective of their owner.
    I am getting ready to move to a larger property soon. Then I planning on having 8 of em. So if someone wants to trespass ...
    feel free

Nothing says WELCOME like Rottweilers at the Gate.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Great dogs...love people that they trust...takes a while. In our home, with us there, just a couple of minutes!

There are two in our neighborhood...

I'd post a pic, if I knew how!
    ret
    Great looking dogs...

"I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Hey, TA...

Quote Originally Posted by Team American View Post
    Great looking dogs...

He looks just like 'Grady'...but Grady has a larger chest...actually, he's abnormally big...but just as loving as he is big...

Thanks for the pic!

ret

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Ret, we have three dogs - two mixed breed and a yellow lab. They would not have to be outside for us to know something was going on. No one walks down the sidewalk in front of our house without us knowing it. You also learn to tell the difference in the barks. All three of ours have different characteristics. Bruno is a Rottweiler-Chow mix. Big noise, big teeth. Bing is a Bassett Hound-Bull Terrier mix. 55 lbs of solid muscle and a mouth full of teeth that will cover your hand up past the wrist. He has the nose of the Bassett and can smell stuff a mile away. He also has very larger upright ears that can hear a cricket in the next county. On top of that he has the hound deep voice with some strange scary sound that comes from deep in his chest. Baxter is a 65 lb. yellow Lab that is very dedicated to my wife. He likes me, but loves her. He is very sensitive to what goes on around him. Of the three I would least like to have Bing come after me.

When we go to bed they each assume a different position in the house. We have '20s Craftsman style bungalow that is not too wide across the front but quite deep. Our bedroom was originally a room for an aunt, has it's own bath, and opens onto the glassed in back porch. Our boys take up there positions with Bruno going to the front of the house, Baxter taking a position on the back porch just outside our door and Bing in the room on the foot of the bed until everything settles down. When everything is settled Bing jumps off the end of the bed and lays on the rug at the foot of the bed. Anybody who comes into our yard anytime is greeted with a 3 dog serenade. If anyone comes into the yard after we go to bed all three rush to the front of the house and set up an awful racket. We would know immediately if anyone even thought too hard about doing anything in our yard.

I work at the library 3 nights a week and while I am gone the 3 boys are in with my wife. When I get home they go out to the back yard until we go to bed. Even from there every visitor is greeted and we know they are there.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Dogs are good alarms.

IMO a dog that will bite someone is a lawsuit waiting to happen. All I need is a dog that barks to notify me that something is wrong and my German Shorthair does a good job. Our house sets back from the gate a ways and if someone stops on the road or pulls up to the gate, or if any critter is in the yard, we know immediately. I also have pointers in kennels out by the barn that bark if anything goes wrong out there. After that:

sign72B.jpg

Sign from: http://www.usmcpress.com/USMCproducts/SIGN_beware.htm
    Last edited by sgtD; November 23rd, 2006 at 07:54 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    IMO a dog that will bite someone is a lawsuit waiting to happen. All I need is a dog that barks to notify me that something is wrong
    Hence the theme of my original post... they are not something to take lightly. A dog is not a machine like a gun, they have their own minds and their own will. A poorly trained dog will "jump off the shelf and kill something" unlike a gun.

With that said, any and all dogs will bite, just like all guns will shoot. Its the training and experience behind the dog or gun that makes the difference.

[QUOTE=SIXTO;238609]
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    With that said, any and all dogs will bite, just like all guns will shoot. Its the training and experience behind the dog or gun that makes the difference.
    True, I understood your original post and was speaking mostly to the burlar alarm efficiancy of dogs. As far as the biting, an attack dog is not something that I would personally own.

When I train my dogs from the time they are young, I do a lot of little things like suddenly grabbing their hindquarters or suprising them when sleeping, mess with them while eating etc... I basically try to get them to bite me. If they do or try to, they are gone. I won't have it, but that's just my personal position. Especially with kids around.

Some breeds are typically more agressive than others, but individuals of any breed are all different. I'm a bird dog guy and have trained and worked with many dogs of many breeds. I have seen brittanys, GSPs and English pointers that will bite. But the chances of getting an agressive dog are lower with some breeds than others.

You are correct though that you can never be 100% certain that a dog won't bite, but I think you can definately choose an animal that will not be likely to bite someone, and that would be the kind I want, not an atack dog. Again, JMO.

BTW: I had a friend who had Schutzen trained Rotties. Now those were attack dogs that were unbeliveably disciplined. Any dog that can pass those standards is awesome for sure.
    Last edited by sgtD; November 23rd, 2006 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Add info.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links