Interesting take on what a hero is

This is a discussion on Interesting take on what a hero is within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was at the dentist and reading a magazine and came across this: Photo 1 (13).jpg I thought it was an interesting way of describing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Interesting take on what a hero is

I was at the dentist and reading a magazine and came across this:

Photo 1 (13).jpg

I thought it was an interesting way of describing what a hero is.

Read toward the bottom.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    All of the military people I know would agree with that. They don't view themselves as heroes, they are just American Military men and women that are doing their jobs. That is the reason our military is so special because they do those amazing things without considering it amazing.

atctimmy likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    yes normal..

Most heroes don't think they're heroes. It seems to me that someone who is quick to accept the title hero might not have the selflessness required to be a hero in the first place.
    ChadliusNH likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Most heroes don't think they're heroes. It seems to me that someone who is quick to accept the title hero might not have the selflessness required to be a hero in the first place.
    agreed.

Lets not forget that a lot of countries mandate military service. Ours volunteer!!
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

VIP Member
    I read the article and I completely agree. Heroes do things that they know are dangerous. Yet they do them anyhow because other people need help and they'll try to help even if it kills them.

Picking up you kids from school everyday isn't heroic. Being a rock star isn't heroic. Diving on a hand grenade and giving up all of your tomorrows to save your friends IS heroic.

ETA: I am also pretty tired of someone I've never met telling me "thanks for your service". I served my country because I wanted to serve. I don't want some tree hugging, flower power nitwit (not you bugdude ) going home later and thinking to themselves that they just made my day like I'm some sort of cause to "save". I understand that being thanked for my service is better than being spit on but I'd bet that 90% of the thank yous I get are only because it's trendy right now to do so.

What's it going to be like in ten years, after the the A-stan war is over and all the music has faded? What will it be like for all of the disabled guys and the head traumas when it's not trendy anymore?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

You made some real good points atcTimmy.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    I too feel uncomfortable with the “Thank you for your service” comments. To me I had the greatest job in the world, where else could a Kentucky farm boy get a $100M airplane and three officers to go from one NCO club to another and get paid for it. My cousin really put it into perspective when she made the comment that I get to travel to places and see things others only dream about. Of the medals and ribbons I earned the one I cherish the most is the Humanitarian Service Medal.
    NONAME762 and Oldpsufan like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Well I never thought about what I was doing that much. I was doing my job. Mostly giving physicals, EKGs and IM shots a squadron at a time for guys with what they called World Wide Status. I shared the same status so I'd had shots for every malady known to man at the time. I even got a shot for something called Beri beri down around the Equator I think. Some of those shots my arm hurt for 2 or 3 days.

I only got 2 ribbons. National Defense and everybody got that. My hospital squadron got some kind of Commendation ribbon. It was a solid dark blue field. It was 40 years ago.

I did a bit of traveling. Went to Oklahoma one day to some huge mall where I bought my one and only Blue Ridge Rangers cassette and some foofoo. My Mom was visiting her sister down around Sheppard AFB somewhere. Talk about the surprise of a lifetime when I saw my kin were down in the foyer right by the pop machine that only had Coors, PBR and Old Milwaukie beer (no pop). They took me to a nice steak place in my 1505's.

On another foray off base I hitched out to Byers Texas. Now that was a swinging town. Not. Dry county.
    Still had fun tho. Deep fried catfish and fries like you wouldn't believe!! Them Texan Baptists are sumpin else!! That was my first time seeing and a hearin' a lady preacher!!

Flew to KC Missouri in a Cessna 150. The Doc was flyin'. He'd got his Pilot License like 4 or 5 days before we took off.
    That was a bit of a scary trip. It wasn't too bad going back as I had 7 or 8 little Millers under my belt. At 5000' you get your moneys worth with 7 or 8 beers. La kuka rotcha...it was a kick in da butt I'm here to tell ya!!

Those were the days of my youth.
    Oldpsufan likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    The only person i need to be a hero is to my son. The term Hero is way over used and people consider ahtletes , stars as heros . The real heros in this world are not comfortable to be in the spotlight.
    pgrass101, sauerpuss and WHEC724 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    The only person i need to be a hero is to my son.
    I try to be the man that my sons believe that I am.

To me a hero is someone who does what is needed to be done. They don't shirk or say "Someone needs to do something about this" they just do it, whatever "it" is.
    WHEC724 and welder516 like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    The heroes I know didn't come home alive. I did meet an old USMC CMH recipient who was as cool as ice, and he struck me as a hero.

I don't care about any medals, commendations, or letters, and I'd like to give some of them back...like the UN Medal for instance.... I've see to many heroic acts get ignored, and there is too much politics involved to place any stock in them at all.

I also don't like strangers thanking me for my service, which is why I hold my hand over my heart during the National Anthem instead of saluting. You couldn't do it anyway for a long time, and it doesn't feel right for me saluting out of uniform anyway.

I spent a lot of time in the early '90s in the Middle East, and a lot of time in Israel. Except for a few special occasions this was the only time we'd wear our uniforms on liberty. I can say with 100% certainty that we were treated better there than we were at home. No one would say, "Thank you for your service", but almost everyone would start smiling when they saw our uniforms, and it would cause an argument if you tried to pay for food or drink anywhere. The IDF soldiers patrolling or standing guard would all salute us as if we were officers, and veterans would stop and shake our hands. The girls seemed overly fond of us as well... We were treated like rock stars everywhere we went, and it felt really good. You wouldn't want to be in uniform in the Pali towns in the West Bank (never been to Gaza), but anywhere in Israel proper was fine.

If someone thanks me for my service I say, "You're welcome", but that's it. I think it's kind of stupid, but 99% of the people mean well, and if being grateful for the boys in the military is in style now that's a far sight better than what has been in style in the past. The public is fickle.

When I travel for business I sit 1st or business class, and I always offer my seat to any unformed service person flying. If they're alone they usually accept gratefully, and that makes me happy. Occasionally the flight attendant will come on and announce any military who are flying with us, and the plane always erupts in an ovation. Some jerk always flings sand in my eyes right at that point.
    atctimmy likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Hero is as beat up and overused as warrior.
    pgrass101 and atctimmy like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links