FOUND a gun

FOUND a gun

This is a discussion on FOUND a gun within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I'm down at my buddy's house in Phoenix for Thanksgiving and he tells me an interesting story. All summed up, he found a Phoenix ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOUND a gun

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Question FOUND a gun

So I'm down at my buddy's house in Phoenix for Thanksgiving and he tells me an interesting story. All summed up, he found a Phoenix Arms 10/22 in the trunk of his 1996 Ford Mustang. It was stashed under his spare tire. He bought the car privately from someone local, who in turn had purchased it privately from someone in Florida. I took a look at it and it was banged-up fairly well. Looks like it had been there for quite some time. It was chambered with a full mag, as well.

If you own a Mustang like this, you know that you can't really slide something in there. It appears it was stashed there. I reccomended he run it through DPS to make sure its clean and to get the serial # registered to him.

Unreal.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Assistant Administrator
    I am thinking you mean an HP-22 - the small semi? Not hard to conceal if so.

Yep - be wise to run the SN. I have one of these - assuming this was what you meant. Cheap and cheerful but a fun plinker even so.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Just looked that up, Chris - you're exactly right. It's an HP-22.

I just finished cleaning it. It was REALLY dirty. Inside and out. Looks to be in good operation otherwise. We're gonna give it a test run on Saturday afternoon.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Assistant Administrator
    I got the version with two barrel options and keep the long barrel on these days - accuracy is way better.

They do like to kept fairly free of .22 crud - but mine will most times empty a mag so fast it's silly!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

How much do they go for? Like $150? I might get one to play with. I read an article some guy wrote about these. He seemed to enjoy plinking with it. I mean you can't get any cheaper than .22 ammo.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Just looked that up, Chris - you're exactly right. It's an HP-22.

I just finished cleaning it. It was REALLY dirty. Inside and out. Looks to be in good operation otherwise. We're gonna give it a test run on Saturday afternoon.
    Could have been old cold case a now you cleaned off the evidents. Just my first thought.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Hmm most used car sellers dont include price negotation devices at time of purchace lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I had one of those.

The trigger return spring got real weak real quick. It was one of the first runs.

I called it the "noisy cricket" off of MIB.

Josh <><

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    Could have been old cold case a now you cleaned off the evidents. Just my first thought.

That's a good point, Rick. I had actually told my buddy about that idea before I offered to do a thorough cleaning. He told me he had already wiped it down because of all the junk and dirt on it. Not to mention that people had been handling it before I got down to Phoenix....

We will find out tonight. He's going to call DPS when he gets off of work and have them run the serial number. If the original owner was looked at for a crime but the weapon couldn't be found, they could use the .22 to match ballistics evidence. My buddy has already stated he would gladly give up the pistol if it put some jerk into jail.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

get the serial # registered to him.
    No such thing FYI, luckily we don't yet have gun registration. Although it would be a good idea to make sure it wasn't reported stolen.

Remember, just because the serial # comes back okay, doesn't mean the gun wasn't stolen.
    Also, if the gun was used in a murder wherever the autopsy was done of the body may have the bullet from that gun and the ballistics from that bullet in the FBI database.
    If for some reason the police ever check that gun you may be in some bad ju-ju until you can explain where you got the gun.

What I would do is call your local police department, have them fill out a report that you found the firearm.
    This way there is a paper trail, a case number and a witness. You will then have covered your ass and be keeping it out of trouble for the future.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

While I agree that it doesn't mean the gun wasn't stolen, the ballistics thing is a non issue. The gun would never be tested as long as the OP doesn't kill someone with it, plus, the whole ballistic fingerprinting thing is pretty much BS that's in movies.
    Run the serial # and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    While I agree that it doesn't mean the gun wasn't stolen, the ballistics thing is a non issue. The gun would never be tested as long as the OP doesn't kill someone with it, plus, the whole ballistic fingerprinting thing is pretty much BS that's in movies.
    Run the serial # and call it good.
    Actually it isn't BS. In Maryland and a few other states they keep records of all ballistics from bullets in thats few years.
    But I guess where he lives, he doesnt have to worry about that.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Seriously guys , it sounds to me like some kid picked up a cheap .22 pistol for whateaver reason ( but looking at the pic of it i would say nothing worse than plinking since there are smaller , meaner looking cheap pistols out there ) and hid it from mom and dad. For whateaver reason ( heck maby dad traded the car off on him getting him a newer / better one for good grades . ) he did not retrieve it . I would notify LE that i got a bonus with a car , and of the serial no . for a stolen gun check . Other than that I hope he enjoys it . Heck maby he can find a good gun buyback and convert it to something he wants lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Haha We took it shooting on Saturday. He's completely in love with that gun. It cleared with the serial #, as well. He shot about 350 rounds through it. It jammed a few times after ~275 rounds but fired off perfectly before then. He started talking about not minding carrying it and getting his permit. I told him it's a step in the right direction but he may want to look into a a caliber that will penetrate a leather jacket and t-shirt. lol
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links