Any truth to this?

Any truth to this?

This is a discussion on Any truth to this? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: * * The United States is 3rd in murders throughout the World. But if you take out Chicago, Detroit, Washington D.C. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Gene83

Thread: Any truth to this?

Question Any truth to this?

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
    The United States is 3rd in murders throughout the World.

But if you take out Chicago, Detroit, Washington D.C. and New Orleans, the United States is 4th from the bottom for murders. These 4 cities also have the toughest gun control laws in the United States, and are all controlled by Democrats.

This tell you anything?
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Also mainly Democrats live there.

What does this tell you.

Distinguished Member
    I'd like to think it would be that simple, but something tells me that it's not.

Not a joke:

Does New Orleans actually have gun control laws? I always carried when there, lord knows I have seen others carry there, and never gave it a second thought.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

But if you take out Chicago, Detroit, Washington D.C. and New Orleans, the United States is 4th from the bottom for murders. These 4 cities also have the toughest gun control laws in the United States, and are all controlled by Democrats.

This tell you anything?
    Links to the data?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

not sure on a data source by US city, but check out this world view...one is a link to the HTML page and the other is to the Google doc page where you can select File and download the Excel file. Download the file if you have Excel and have a play with the data/sort function. When compared by population, number of guns, and murders PER CAPITA the US is nowhere near as bad as the rest of the world (and the US media and anti 2A crowd) portray us.

Its all in way you present (spin) the data.

Gun homicides and gun ownership listed by country | News | guardian.co.uk

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VODRyTnc#gid=0
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Links to the data?
    yes, links please.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

But if you take out Chicago, Detroit, Washington D.C. and New Orleans, the United States is 4th from the bottom for murders. These 4 cities also have the toughest gun control laws and are all controlled by Democrats.

This tell you anything?
    Democrats are idiotic maroons that couldn't think their way out of a paper bag??!!?
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

I'm not sure that New Orleans has gun laws that are all that tough. They didn't when I lived there but that's been several years ago. If I was looking at those four cities and their murder rates, I would focus on gang activity and high unemployment among inner city youth. I think you'll probably find that is a common denominator.
    niks and ppkheat like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Those numbers don't jive with anything I've seen.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I have a hard time believing this. Also, The Guardian is not a credible source, it is a tabloid.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Per capita we are 113th in Murders are a rate of 4.8 murders per 100,000. The number of murders in those four cities is a little under 1,200 per year. If we divide that into our population of 360 million, that would lower our rate by 0.3, which would move us down the list 4 places. Still no where near the bottom.

So yes this tell me something, that someone is ignoring reality to try to make a point.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Murders vs Firearm murders? Per the spreadsheet, the US has 9146 firearm murders annually. If we deduct the 1200 committed in those four cities it drops the total to 7946. A substantial impact.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

This tell you anything?
    USA Murder Rate

Nope, check out post #18.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have serious doubts about those numbers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links