What prescient movies resonate with you?

This is a discussion on What prescient movies resonate with you? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I, like most everyone on this forum, am appalled at how many Americans are willing to give up their rights for the illusion of safety ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What prescient movies resonate with you?

I, like most everyone on this forum, am appalled at how many Americans are willing to give up their rights for the illusion of safety and security that big government promises. Yet, this path has been predicted by film makers for decades. Some of these predictions have come true and others are not far from happening. Some of my favorites are V for Vendetta, Starship Troopers, and Roller Ball. Here's why:

V for Vendetta
    - The State will take care of you. Don't ask questions and don't buck the system and you'll be safe from those subversives.

Starship Troopers - The Iraq war of the future. Make an excuse to invade another planet (country) and start a war with the inhabitants. Why? Because they are dangerous and don't think like we do. Plus, they have something we want. Get your a$$ kicked and end up with what has the makings of an expensive stalemate.

Roller Ball
    - Keep the sheep happy and distracted with ultra-violent games. The corporations will take care of you as long you don't rock the boat. This is an old one but well worth watching if you are too young to have seen it. Hunger Games is pretty much a ripoff of this film.

Anyway, those are mine. What are your favorites and why?
    Never get out of the boat....

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I haven't gotten past John Wayne yet. Starship and V will have to wait.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Well the movie kinda sucked but I'm partial to the book Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, though she sure can ramble on.....
    Badey likes this.

Robocop has always been a childhood favorate and there are a lot of politics behind it. Especially the less popular (among true fans) Robocop 2 and almost universally hated Robocop 3. The first one and second one show Robocop struggling between his human self and the tool he was programed to be. I honestly liked RC3 because as OCP takes power over the city of Detroit they force families in to the street with military force and eventually even the police are forced to decide between their jobs and what is morally right. Its a great series with some deep themes, too bad they dont make them like that anymore. But oh wait, we can only have anti "the man" movies made by hollywood when we actually have opressive governments in power.

Soylent Green (stars Charlton Heston)

The Truman Show (more so because our entire lives are recorded, monitored)

Running Man (Reality Shows gone bonkers)

Series 7: The Contenders (Like Running Man but much better!)

Starship Troopers (use of Ultra-Nationilsm to wage war)

Things to Come

Idiocracy
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

It should be pointed out that Starship Troopers is a hideous Hollywood corruption of one of the greatest works of philosophical fiction of the last century.

That said, Atlas Shrugged is the obvious winner, at least insofar as it's true to the novel. I remember reading it in high school and, though I got the message, disliking it for seeming too cartoonish, for example in the way the villians spoke. I learned the error of my ways since 2008 - reading quotes from Democrat politicians like Joe Biden was EXACTLY like reading the lines of Wesley Mouch and company in Atlas Shrugged.
    Caertaker and Jaeger like this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

VIP Member
    Dumb & Dumber: An excellent commentary on moral nihilism - the structured ethos of the hit men anti-heroes contrasted against the puerile, aimless existence of the heroes, and the dialectic that is Sea Bass.

Probably the most brilliant yet misunderstood piece of cinema since Manos: The Hands of Fate.
    Brad426 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Hmmm, new words, methinks I need Mr. Webster's assistance.
    niks, NONAME762, PEF and 1 others like this.

Demolition Man - automated "happy happy, joy joy" society on top, starving 2nd class mongrels on the bottom.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Certainly not Back to the Future 2.

[wanders off grumbling about Hoverboards]
    The only acceptable long-term outcome is to find a cure. It's an actual solution, requiring forward-thinking efforts.

Until then, we're just arguing about who's pushing who.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    Hmmm, new words, methinks I need Mr. Webster's assistance.
    That's why I keep my copy of Thorndike-Barnhart Comprehensive Desk Dictionary circa 1967 within arms reach.

Soylent Green is an old favorite.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    An old favorite?!?! SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

"The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    Well the movie kinda sucked but I'm partial to the book Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, though she sure can ramble on.....
    Yup. I didn't care to bother watching the movie, but the book was depressingly accurate in describing what is happening to us.

VIP Member
    Not a movie, but one of my earliest memories on the topic:
    The Obsolete Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    suntzu likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links