Movie of the Week Club?

This is a discussion on Movie of the Week Club? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Another thread running now prompted this idea. What if those of us who enjoy movies and have access to streaming services started a 'Movie of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Movie of the Week Club?

Movie of the Week Club?

Another thread running now prompted this idea. What if those of us who enjoy movies and have access to streaming services started a 'Movie of the Week' club where someone picks a show and all of the members watch it over the course of a week, then discussion the following week and a new picture chosen? Self defense/guns can be worked into most action/adventure movies pretty easily these days and it might be an excuse to get me to watch or be aware of some shows that I've either missed or forgotten about.

This is just a flyer for interest, if no one responds that'll answer my question, and I'll move along to other things.
    Calvito likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

2. Remove Ads

This reminds me of school 40 years ago...read a book and make a book report.

All sarcasm aside I'm not dialed in with a streaming service. Mainly I just watch YouTube. Lately I've been trying to snag the series Generation Kill or Dogs of War starring Christopher Walken with no luck with either.

Posted with 3 fingers and 1 thumb.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Well...if you want to do a book report too, knock yourself out. Personally my interest is not that high on the motivational scale, but I have been told that sometimes people enjoy talking about movies. YMMV
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

I may be up for this, depending on how much spare time I have in a given week.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Distinguished Member
    I'd like to do that. I've already seen "Eat, Pray, Love" and it was horrible...so don't pick that one.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I can't get into watching a big screen movie on a small screen monitor.
    Hodad likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Most Movies are on Netflix or "On Demand" or whatever your cable company calls it. You can watch those on tv.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Works for me. Let's not limit it to movies. Include old television show episodes too. How about starting with "Death Wish"?
    Never get out of the boat....

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I can't get into watching a big screen movie on a small screen monitor.
    Shoot OV... I do that all the time.
    -----------------
    I reckon my post came off a big bit sarcastic OP and for that I'm somewhat apologetic I'm pretty much a 'shoots from the hip' kinda guy. All kidding aside a few weeks ago I saw the remake of Red Dawn and considering the reviews I saw before watching the movie, these are my feelings. As usual the critics were fulla you know what and I liked Red Dawn a lot!! The new Jed performed his role as well as Patrick Swayze did in the original.

Anyone who hasn't seen the new Red Dawn should cuz this ole Redneck sez so.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat_Guy View Post
    Works for me. Let's not limit it to movies. Include old television show episodes too. How about starting with "Death Wish"?
    I'm sure I saw all the Deathwish movies. My favorite I think was when he met the old WWII Vet who supplied the Browning air cooled belt fed.
    The window spring traps he made for the older Jewish couple worked great too. Nuttin' quite as fine as taking a bite out of crime one tooth at a time!!
    welder516 likes this.

Great idea! A few questions...do we pick a movie on a particular day of the week (like Sunday) and then give people a week to watch it and then talk about it on Saturday, or just talk about movies we like? How do we pick the movies? Do we all vote or rotate the pick? Maybe Dadsnugun can pick the person that picks the movie. Sorry if it seems like I'm jumping the gun and writing rules for your movie club, but I think it's a really cool idea. Let's get it started!

I don't have any real 'rules', just some thoughts: Those that are interested could create a list, top of list picks 1st, say on Sunday, but could be any day. Members (for lack of a better word) have the whole week to watch the show, then can create a thread to talk about it the following week. Then the next person in line picks and the whole process just keeps cycling through until we've seen every movie ever made, or we all just lose interest.

You want a great show to discuss:
    "Ethics in America: Under Order, Under Fire" epsiodes parts I and II
    How do we wage war when the enemy dresses as civilians and children throw bombs? Generals William Westmoreland, David Jones, and Brent Scowcroft, correspondents Peter Jennings and Mike Wallace, and others question the duty to follow orders and a commander's obligation to protect soldiers.
    The carnage of My Lai raises the issue of confidentiality between the soldier, his religious confessor, and military justice. Generals debate the clash between military tribunals and the right of confidentiality with Chaplain Timothy Tatum of the U.S. Army War College, the Reverend J. Bryan Hehir of the U.S. Catholic Conference, and others.
    Awesome show.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I'm up for most anything, from cerebral documentaries, to shoot 'em ups, to 'B' Mad Scientist and '40's-50's film noir. These kind of things can get stale if there's no variety.

Then we start with Plan Nine from Outer Space
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links