vapor

This is a discussion on vapor within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Smokers? I need to quit or change my smoking habit,about 40 years ago. I am bad to put things off that I don't want to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: vapor

vapor

Smokers? I need to quit or change my smoking habit,about 40 years ago. I am bad to put things off that I don't want to do even if I really need to do it. Have any of you experience with the electronic/vapor cigs? I am a pack a day red Marlboro smoker.I have been looking at stuff on the net and it seems they are all great and each brand is the best etc. I need to find something that is most like smoking and hopefully not as costly as real cigs.
    Can anyone with experience help me to not waste money on bad products or recommend one that has worked for them. If I could get off the cigs I would be vice free. Well sort of, almost ,closer than I am now. Still a bum but not smoking real cigs. The truth always comes out doesn't it. Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    chantix. know s few 30 plus year smokers that quit cold turkey that way, they all said it gave them crazy vivid dreams.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Nicotine patches and gum help many people wean themselves from a smoking addiction. They have been around quite a while and have a proven track record. As previously stated, Chantix works for some but has some really serious side effects for others. To me E-cigs are just a substitute for smoking. You are still mimicking the smoking action and basically replacing one habit with another. Unlike cigarettes, you are still inhaling something although you're not sure exactly what and it probably came from China (with their terrific consumer products safety record).

I quit cold turkey. I started by making a list with all the ways smoking benefitted me on the left side of the page and all the reasons I wanted to quit on the right side. If the list on the right side isn't quite a bit longer, you aren't ready to quit.

I kept a record of when I smoked and why. Realize that life goes on after you quit smoking. You need a plan. When this happens, instead of smoking, I will do this.

Realize that when you quit smoking, you will gain some weight and accept it. You can lose the weight later. Try to limit it though by not making food a substitute for smoking.

Smoking is a habit. Try to vary your daily routine so that you have to think about what you are doing. Take a different route to work, eat lunch someplace different, rearrange your office or desk. Don't fall back into the daily routine that allowed you to smoke.

Quitting smoking is not a linear progression. You will have good days and bad days at first. Over time, if you don't smoke, there will be more good days, but it's not unusual for a craving to hit you months after you quit. Resist it and it will pass. Give in and you are right back where you are now.

I've been quit over five years now. I don't think about cigarettes or crave them. I can be around people who are smoking and it doesn't bother me or make me want one. I've save a ton of money and my doctor says he has absolutely no doubt that I have added years to my life and quality to the years.

Good luck.

Gene
    pignut likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You'll stop when you want to stop, not before.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You'll stop when you want to stop, not before.
    Very, very true.

I was a Marlboro smoker for 40 years and decided to quit using the E-cigs. I started with the 16mg nicotine but that was a bit too strong so I went with the 11mg for a while then to the 6mg and then the 0mg. It took me about 3 months but I had no withdrawal symptoms and it has been 1 ˝ years since my last cigarette. Hang in there, when you are truly ready to quit it will not be as bad as you think. Forgot to add, the brand of E-cig I used cost $15 for a pack of 5 cartridges, which was the equivalent of a full carton of cigarettes, 1/3rd the cost of a carton of cigarettes and without the outrageous taxes our Benevolent Masters love to waste.
    pignut likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I think you are seeing some good advice from all posts. I quit cold turkey it's doable but if you can improve your odds, why not? One of the noc shift therapists where I work started using the E-cigs as a temporary measure to stop smoking. It's been 2 years now and he still uses it. Find what works for you and good luck and more importantly God bless.
    pignut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    I think you are seeing some good advice from all posts. I quit cold turkey it's doable but if you can improve your odds, why not? One of the noc shift therapists where I work started using the E-cigs as a temporary measure to stop smoking. It's been 2 years now and he still uses it. Find what works for you and good luck and more importantly God bless.
    I admire anyone that can quit.
    My last drag on anything hot was 25 years and one month ago today.
    Cold turkey makes the decision final, and I am sure that the OP can do it with support from all of us that have attained "QUITTER" status!
    It is a mind over matter thing, so take the bull by the horns and do it!!
    Your wife will be the first and most appreciative person that will notice, with doctors and co-workers coming a close second.
    If you need the support, tell your doctor about your decision, and he, or she, can help with some really nice pills that can make the mood swings easy to manage.
    As for the e-cigs! NO!!!
    Your health and peace of mind, not to mention your wallet, will thank you over the long haul.
    Sent from sunny 75 degree weather in Lebanon, Oregon! TKH
    blitzburgh and pignut like this.

E cigs are not created equal. I tried several the patch the gum chantx etc to no avail.

I smoked 2 packs a day from age 14 to age 54. I now am on an E cig that does work. Ive dropped from standard 18 mg nicotine to 12 and will go to 8 in couple of months from starting it. in four months or less ill be a no nicotine content at all. And that is all there is in this particular E Cig, no other chemicals.

I have not craved at all.. and one could if one wanted keep using this one with no nicotine content at all just flavored vapor if one wished. I wont post the brand here but pm me if you want the name and brand of what my wife and myself and several friends are using and have used to quit. NO I dont sell them or have any connection with the company

These simply just work for me when nothing else ever has.
    pignut likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Man I quit so many times, cant count, still smoke. But good luck to you !!!
    pignut and msgt/ret like this.

I've heard mixed reviews about chantix - mostly negative. Far as e-cigs, I tried those and they gave me a migraine within a puff or so.
    pignut likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpagus View Post
    I admire anyone that can quit.
    My last drag on anything hot was 25 years and one month ago today.
    Cold turkey makes the decision final, and I am sure that the OP can do it with support from all of us that have attained "QUITTER" status!
    It is a mind over matter thing, so take the bull by the horns and do it!!
    Your wife will be the first and most appreciative person that will notice, with doctors and co-workers coming a close second.
    If you need the support, tell your doctor about your decision, and he, or she, can help with some really nice pills that can make the mood swings easy to manage.
    As for the e-cigs! NO!!!
    Your health and peace of mind, not to mention your wallet, will thank you over the long haul.
    Sent from sunny 75 degree weather in Lebanon, Oregon! TKH
    Another good form of positive reinforcement, etc. is an app (I forget the name right now) that you enter in how long you've smoked and how many packs a day and it keeps track of how much money you've saved and how many days it's added to your life. My mother uses it and she's got almost 250 days now after smoking for 40 years. She said that app does more for her than anything else she's ever tried and of course, she loves seeing the $$$ that was saved too (more shopping money for the grand kids!) along with it also keeping count of how many cigarettes you haven't smoked. When it's been less than a year and you see that you haven't smoked thousands (or tens of thousands) of cigarettes, that's pretty damn powerful and eye opening.
    pignut likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Like any habit it is all in your mind. If you have the will power and want to quit you can. You cannot use artificial aids because that causes a focus on what you are trying to do. In other words you are constantly reminding yourself of smoking. I smoked for 50 years and really enjoyed smoking. I said I would quit if I ever stopped enjoying it, That happened in 2004 when I had to make a choice between breathing and smoking. I quit cold turkey, it was not easy and it was a one day at a time thing, but you weigh the healthy feeling against the "need" and day after day you do not want to lose those "quit" days by re starting.
    Trust me, you will be glad you did.
    pignut likes this.
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Find a reason bigger than you to quit, and it will probably be pretty easy. That's what I did. I haven't smoked since Tuesday. Be it a wife, kids, grand kids, whatever. Remember, once you quit, no more. I wanted one tonight, but it just isn't worth it. 5 days is too long to go to blow it on a cigarette. Find something bigger than you, and quit.
    pignut likes this.
    Something witty

I switched to e-cigs a couple of years ago, they definitely worked for me. I still "vape," but there's no question in my mind that vaporized PG and nicotine is a LOT safer than smoke and nicotine. I still have an unopened pack of cigs laying around from that time and have had no desire to open it since.

My advice is to avoid the cigarette-sized devices and go with a larger one. With the smaller size, the battery doesn't last long, you have to refill the juice frequently, and you generally don't get as much volume of "smoke" as you do with a cigarette. The kit I use now cost me about $70 to start, and I probably go through less than $40 per month in juice and replacement atomizers. In Minnesota now, a pack a day of cigarettes runs about $200 per month, so...

I can give a recommendation on particular brand and an online retailer I really like. If interested let me know and I'll pm the information to you, to avoid "advertising."
    pignut and HillbilliesRule like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Ex Member Array HillbilliesRule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I've heard mixed reviews about chantix - mostly negative. Far as e-cigs, I tried those and they gave me a migraine within a puff or so.
    Trust me when I say there ARE vaping products out there that are vastly different. I vape. I used to be a smoker, now I'm a vaper. If you are still smoking and want to give vaping another go let me know. I can at least point you in the right direction.
    pignut likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links