LOOK! Video: 50,000 Year Old Underwater Primeval Forest Off Coast of Alabama

This is a discussion on LOOK! Video: 50,000 Year Old Underwater Primeval Forest Off Coast of Alabama within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Fascinating, to me anyway. Doesn't show it here but there are tree stumps 1/2 mile in diameter. 50,000 years + more, this was dry land, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: LOOK! Video: 50,000 Year Old Underwater Primeval Forest Off Coast of Alabama

LOOK! Video: 50,000 Year Old Underwater Primeval Forest Off Coast of Alabama

Fascinating, to me anyway. Doesn't show it here but there are tree stumps 1/2 mile in diameter. 50,000 years + more, this was dry land, and this is the forest that was there:

http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews....ico-vid/25729/

[Edit: the info about diameter of tree I found later was incorrect; sorry]
    Last edited by detective; July 14th, 2013 at 12:04 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Link...?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I find that fascinating in more ways than one. Think about how old that is and the fact that there were no industrial humans to blame environmental changes on. The sea level rose to cover this land naturally. This sort of thing happens simply because the earth is a living thing and is constantly changing ever so slowly.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

VIP Member
    Where's the oil? Can you say BP oil spill hoax anyone?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Fascinating, to me anyway. Doesn't show it here but there are tree stumps 1/2 mile in diameter. 50,000 years + more, this was dry land, and this is the forest that was there:

50,000 Year Old Underwater Primeval Forest Gulf of Mexico (VIDEO) | HispanicallySpeakingNews.com
    No, there are tree stumps in an over 1/2 mile area . A 1/2 mile diameter tree would be a pretty big tree.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No, there are tree stumps in an over 1/2 mile area . A 1/2 mile diameter tree would be a pretty big tree.
    oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    I find that fascinating in more ways than one. Think about how old that is and the fact that there were no industrial humans to blame environmental changes on. The sea level rose to cover this land naturally. This sort of thing happens simply because the earth is a living thing and is constantly changing ever so slowly.
    Yes, that's what I thought. But the rate of melting of the Polar Caps has been shown to have accelerated significantly over the past 50-75 years. Whatever the cause of the increased warmth, ice is melting to water quicker than average, and that means more warmth logically.

VIP Member
    That is amazing and really beautiful too! Just imagine what's at the bottom of the ocean that we have no idea about.
    Thanks for posting that.
    detective likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    My watch . . . there, now you know.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The article states: "Some of the tree stumps found are half-a-mile in diameter". Of course, if you equate that diameter to a giant redwood, you're talking about a tree 27,000 feet tall. I think there is a mistake in the article.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    A half-mile tree. I wonder how many 31,680x4s you can get out of one.

Another case to show: don't believe everything you read.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    That is amazing and really beautiful too! Just imagine what's at the bottom of the ocean that we have no idea about.
    Thanks for posting that.
    You're welcome, I love this stuff.

The irony is that by becoming visible because the sands that kept it buried and stable are now gone, the Forest will disintegrate and disappear from the effect of immersion in water. I think in only about 2 years it will but a memory.
    But not to feel sad, there must be many more places of wonder hidden in the depths or beneath the floor of the oceans - including more hidden forests near the coats of major land masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    The article states: "Some of the tree stumps found are half-a-mile in diameter". Of course, if you equate that diameter to a giant redwood, you're talking about a tree 27,000 feet tall. I think there is a mistake in the article.
    That or 50,000 years ago must really have been a looker...

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links