LOOK! Video: 50,000 Year Old Underwater Primeval Forest Off Coast of Alabama

LOOK! Video: 50,000 Year Old Underwater Primeval Forest Off Coast of Alabama

This is a discussion on LOOK! Video: 50,000 Year Old Underwater Primeval Forest Off Coast of Alabama within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Fascinating, to me anyway. Doesn't show it here but there are tree stumps 1/2 mile in diameter. 50,000 years + more, this was dry land, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: LOOK! Video: 50,000 Year Old Underwater Primeval Forest Off Coast of Alabama

  1. #1
    Ex Member Array detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    buffalo NY
    Posts
    952

    LOOK! Video: 50,000 Year Old Underwater Primeval Forest Off Coast of Alabama

    Fascinating, to me anyway. Doesn't show it here but there are tree stumps 1/2 mile in diameter. 50,000 years + more, this was dry land, and this is the forest that was there:

    http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews....ico-vid/25729/

    [Edit: the info about diameter of tree I found later was incorrect; sorry]
    Last edited by detective; July 14th, 2013 at 12:04 PM.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array goldshellback's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Back home in Louisiana!
    Posts
    4,825
    Link...?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

    "Sometimes when you're making gumbo, people just show up.", Leah Chase

  4. #4
    Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,491
    I find that fascinating in more ways than one. Think about how old that is and the fact that there were no industrial humans to blame environmental changes on. The sea level rose to cover this land naturally. This sort of thing happens simply because the earth is a living thing and is constantly changing ever so slowly.

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gastonville
    Posts
    7,346
    Where's the oil? Can you say BP oil spill hoax anyone?
    "For the Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands." Deuteronomy 16:15

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Posts
    19,721
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Fascinating, to me anyway. Doesn't show it here but there are tree stumps 1/2 mile in diameter. 50,000 years + more, this was dry land, and this is the forest that was there:

    50,000 Year Old Underwater Primeval Forest Gulf of Mexico (VIDEO) | HispanicallySpeakingNews.com
    No, there are tree stumps in an over 1/2 mile area . A 1/2 mile diameter tree would be a pretty big tree.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  7. #7
    Ex Member Array detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    buffalo NY
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No, there are tree stumps in an over 1/2 mile area . A 1/2 mile diameter tree would be a pretty big tree.
    oops!

  8. #8
    Ex Member Array detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    buffalo NY
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    I find that fascinating in more ways than one. Think about how old that is and the fact that there were no industrial humans to blame environmental changes on. The sea level rose to cover this land naturally. This sort of thing happens simply because the earth is a living thing and is constantly changing ever so slowly.
    Yes, that's what I thought. But the rate of melting of the Polar Caps has been shown to have accelerated significantly over the past 50-75 years. Whatever the cause of the increased warmth, ice is melting to water quicker than average, and that means more warmth logically.

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array Jeanlouise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    2,363
    That is amazing and really beautiful too! Just imagine what's at the bottom of the ocean that we have no idea about.
    Thanks for posting that.
    detective likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Posts
    19,721
    My watch . . . there, now you know.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  11. #11
    Ex Member
    Array Str8upguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,031
    The article states: "Some of the tree stumps found are half-a-mile in diameter". Of course, if you equate that diameter to a giant redwood, you're talking about a tree 27,000 feet tall. I think there is a mistake in the article.

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Posts
    19,721
    A half-mile tree. I wonder how many 31,680x4s you can get out of one.

    Another case to show: don't believe everything you read.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  13. #13
    Ex Member Array detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    buffalo NY
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    That is amazing and really beautiful too! Just imagine what's at the bottom of the ocean that we have no idea about.
    Thanks for posting that.
    You're welcome, I love this stuff.

    The irony is that by becoming visible because the sands that kept it buried and stable are now gone, the Forest will disintegrate and disappear from the effect of immersion in water. I think in only about 2 years it will but a memory.
    But not to feel sad, there must be many more places of wonder hidden in the depths or beneath the floor of the oceans - including more hidden forests near the coats of major land masses.

  14. #14
    Ex Member Array detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    buffalo NY
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    The article states: "Some of the tree stumps found are half-a-mile in diameter". Of course, if you equate that diameter to a giant redwood, you're talking about a tree 27,000 feet tall. I think there is a mistake in the article.
    That or 50,000 years ago must really have been a looker...

  15. #15
    Ex Member Array IndianaSig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    732
    Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

50,000 year-old swamp

,

is the underwater forest off the coast of alabama a hoax

,

primeval underwater forest near alabama

,

underwater forrest viedo

,

underwater swamp alabama

,

what did alabama look like under water a long time ago

Click on a term to search for related topics.