Not all athletes are dirt bags

This is a discussion on Not all athletes are dirt bags within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not all athletes are dirt bags. Former Boston Bruin Andrew Ference presents U.S. Army Rangers jacket to paralyzed hockey player | Home Ice - SI.com...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By suntzu
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By welder516
  • 1 Post By suntzu

Thread: Not all athletes are dirt bags

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

Classy. Gotta love a guy that knows what it's all about.

I find that hockey players are generally classy guys.
    CIBMike likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Too bad it doesn't last long in the news cycle. It's good to hear about that kind of thing.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    But they just arrested another football player for DUI!
    CIBMike likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    But they just arrested another football player for DUI!
    Not a hockey play!. Hockey players have their issues, but overall they stay out of trouble and bond with their communities more so than other major sports.

When my son started playing hockey he trained in the same facility as a pro team. After the NHL'ers got done some would stay on the ice witht he little kids. The goalie would help my son out. I knew one off the players (we played in HS together). He said it was not part of their contract to do that. They just liked doing it.

Anyway, I thought this thread would be a welcome break from the Z thread.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Our local football team volunteers each year at our annual carnival. They help get the handicapped kids onto the rides. Some of those kids are big.

edit: er, not Maritimes Canada; this is in Edmonton, Alberta.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

I'm sure there are good athletes doing great things in their communities. The media likes scandal and controversy and this is neither so the story will fade in favor of a negative. Thanks for sharing this as a reminder that good is out there, and it's not as bad as it some times seems'

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    What a class act.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Not a hockey play!. Hockey players have their issues, but overall they stay out of trouble and bond with their communities more so than other major sports.

When my son started playing hockey he trained in the same facility as a pro team. After the NHL'ers got done some would stay on the ice witht he little kids. The goalie would help my son out. I knew one off the players (we played in HS together). He said it was not part of their contract to do that. They just liked doing it.

I said this in a thread that you started once before, but I'm not sure that that's true (10 Most Embarrassing NHL Player Arrests | Bleacher Report). I think NFL players in the news is bigger news in the US than NHL players in the news. Also, from a roster-size standpoint there are a lot fewer NHL players than NFL players.

But that's just my perception... from a statistical standpoint you might be right. Either way it's a great story about Ference.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Alot of great sports figures , rappers , tv folk ................They make it rain at the the strip clubs and support singles moms everywhere.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Alot of great sports figures , rappers , tv folk ................They make it rain at the the strip clubs and support singles moms everywhere.
    LOL!!!! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    No,not all are.When i think of athletes trying to do good things,i remember the football player,who gave up millions,after 911,to join the army.Sadly he got killed.I think it was by friendly fire,but,i'm not positive.Seems like his last name was Tillman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandpgrl View Post
    No,not all are.When i think of athletes trying to do good things,i remember the football player,who gave up millions,after 911,to join the army.Sadly he got killed.I think it was by friendly fire,but,i'm not positive.Seems like his last name was Tillman.
    Pat Tillman....and he was a Ranger
    Manderinobyebye likes this.

Ex Member Array HillbilliesRule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post

In general I have found hockey players to be more passionate about their sport than football or basketball players. Hockey jocks do it to play hockey, the NBA players do it to get paid.
    Obviously there are exceptions, but those only prove the rule :P

Links