Welp... finally have to replace my headlamp.

This is a discussion on Welp... finally have to replace my headlamp. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After 5 years of horrible treatment (and 30 seconds of beyond torture), my Princeton Tec Apex Extreme is beyond repair (without sending it to MFR ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By StormRhydr
  • 1 Post By StormRhydr
  • 1 Post By CIBMike
  • 1 Post By sparkykb
  • 1 Post By Xader

Thread: Welp... finally have to replace my headlamp.

Welp... finally have to replace my headlamp.

After 5 years of horrible treatment (and 30 seconds of beyond torture), my Princeton Tec Apex Extreme is beyond repair (without sending it to MFR and paying $$). Since it served me so well I was considering another. Controls are quite logical, easy to get to with a glove on, and the whole thing is fairly waterproof.

Question being... what are you all using for a headlamp that you like? Any personal experience/suggestions? And NO, not a Surefire Maximus. Looking to stay under 100... LOL!

2. Remove Ads

Look at Petzel .I have owned a petzel tac tica for over a decade and it is still working.It has been knocked around a lot and been exposed to the elements.Petzel offers quite a few models under fifty bucks.
    The easy way is always mined.

I have a number of Petzels. And have updated when new/brighter models have come out. All bought at REI.

So saying, Im going to recommend something you will almost certainly want to blow off... An Energizer model from Walmart.

Why? Because they are MUCH, MUCH brighter, cheaper, and actually, pretty darn good.

Compare the lumens available between the so called higher end models, like Petzel, and Princeton Tec (I really like Princeton Tec for dive lights, btw), and I think you will be very surprised how they all stack up against each other.

Btw, I bought the highest end model at Walmart, and as I recall it was $30.00. Its my go to headlamp over all the others.
    maniacmechanic likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I have a number of Petzels. And have updated when new/brighter models have come out. All bought at REI.

So saying, Im going to recommend something you will almost certainly want to blow off... An Energizer model from Walmart.

Why? Because they are MUCH, MUCH brighter, cheaper, and actually, pretty darn good.

Compare the lumens available between the so called higher end models, like Petzel, and Princeton Tec (I really like Princeton Tec for dive lights, btw), and I think you will be very surprised how they all stack up against each other.

Btw, I bought the highest end model at Walmart, and as I recall it was $30.00. Its my go to headlamp over all the others.
    I with ya. I picked up an Energizer headlamp on a whim, and it's actually served me pretty well for the last 5-6 years. And still going strong. Not bad for a whopping $15-20.

It's got 4 settings: red, beam, flood and beam/flood.

It's a tiny bit bigger heavier than a Petzel (90g vs 78g), and not as tacti-cool looking, but it just plain works.

edit: this is the one

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    I with ya. I picked up an Energizer headlamp on a whim, and it's actually served me pretty well for the last 5-6 years. And still going strong. Not bad for a whopping $15-20.

It's got 4 settings: red, beam, flood and beam/flood.

It's a tiny bit bigger heavier than a Petzel (90g vs 78g), and not as tacti-cool looking, but it just plain works.

edit: this is the one

Exactly. Energizer hit a home run with their line of headlamps. Heck, the petzels were the best around for some long time, but in my book they dropped the ball. I dont know what makes them think that less light is just fine. I want to be able to see snakes when Im walking at night. And of course just working on things around the house, I have never found less light to be better.

...three of these so far...lights up an attic or under sink quite well...powerful, simple, inexpensive:

Rayovac Indestructible 3AAA 100 Lumen Headlight-DIYHPHL-B at The Home Depot

I've been looking at a lot of options. The Petzl is in second place, only because the Princeton is US made. And I will pick up one of the Energizer ones and keep it as backup. That's a definite. Are the Energizer and Rayovac ones good with water resistance? This will be used outdoors for work... in often times torrential rain. LOL

That Rayovac looks eerily similar to an LED Lenser... my current duty light. Hmmm.............

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...three of these so far...lights up an attic or under sink quite well...powerful, simple, inexpensive:

Rayovac Indestructible 3AAA 100 Lumen Headlight-DIYHPHL-B at The Home Depot

I had to go dig mine out to find out what kind it is. Black Diamond that I got at one of those REI "garage sales" (the only way to shop REI, as all of their stuff is overpriced). Anyway, I got it for $10, about 6 years ago. It required a tiny bit of superglue, as it had been a returned item, but it has performed well since, very bright spot plus flood settings. My only gripe is that the elastic in the headband was very weak and the fit adjustment is nearly gone. Thanks for the tip on the Energizer brand, looks like it may fill my needs if and when I need to replace my current one.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Agree with the overpriced aspect. I never even considered black diamond. I'll go check! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmechanic View Post
    I've been looking at a lot of options. The Petzl is in second place, only because the Princeton is US made. And I will pick up one of the Energizer ones and keep it as backup. That's a definite. Are the Energizer and Rayovac ones good with water resistance? This will be used outdoors for work... in often times torrential rain. LOL
    My petzal has survived many a toad strangler downpour over the years.
    The easy way is always mined.

And NO, not a Surefire Maximus. Looking to stay under 100... LOL!
    You didn't say anything about the Surefire MINIMUS!

I have a Surefire Saint which came with the battery box that goes on the back of your head that can run on 3 CR123 batteries or 2 AA's. You can also ditch the battery box and run a single CR123, basically making it the same as the Minimus. The Saint with battery box is kind of expensive though and I'm not even sure if it is made still.

Enter the Minimus. It can be had for around $105 on Amazon. It runs on a single CR123 battery (I think they may be a AA version too) and doesn't come with the rear of the head battery box. 1.5 hour runtime at 100 lumens or 50 hours at the lowest setting of 1 lumen. Perfect amount of light for reading books or doing stuff at arms length.

The 2 headlamps I use are a Petzl Tactikka XP and the Surefire Saint. I use the Saint a lot more often. I like being able to adjust from 1 lumen to 100 with a rotating knob vs a couple of preset lighting levels. You mentioned use with gloves and a rotating knob is very glove friendly.

The beam of the Surefire isn't like a spotlight, it is more spread out so it lights more of the surrounding area. I used to live in an area that lost power a lot during spring storms. I had both lights at the time and NEVER used the Petzl. The Surefire was WAY better at lighting up a room. Plus, the Saint runs FOREVER at low settings with the battery box. I can't remember the last time I changed the batteries on it while the Petzl seems like it's always dead...probably because I buy cheap AAA's since it's the only thing I have that runs on them and it isn't my go to light anymore...lol.
    CIBMike likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Wish I could give you an answer on that.

I live and work in a pretty dry region, so I've never had to use it in the rain, nor have I dropped it in a stream. I can tell you that my gallons of sweat have never had an adverse effect on it...

You're right.. I did not specify... lmao! I pulled the trigger and got a black diamond and the energizer model just this AM. I wanted a Surefire... and that may well be what I end up with (I'm hard to please... hehe!) if neither stack up.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkykb View Post
    You didn't say anything about the Surefire MINIMUS!

I have a Surefire Saint which came with the battery box that goes on the back of your head that can run on 3 CR123 batteries or 2 AA's. You can also ditch the battery box and run a single CR123, basically making it the same as the Minimus. The Saint with battery box is kind of expensive though and I'm not even sure if it is made still.

Enter the Minimus. It can be had for around $105 on Amazon. It runs on a single CR123 battery (I think they may be a AA version too) and doesn't come with the rear of the head battery box. 1.5 hour runtime at 100 lumens or 50 hours at the lowest setting of 1 lumen. Perfect amount of light for reading books or doing stuff at arms length.

The 2 headlamps I use are a Petzl Tactikka XP and the Surefire Saint. I use the Saint a lot more often. I like being able to adjust from 1 lumen to 100 with a rotating knob vs a couple of preset lighting levels. You mentioned use with gloves and a rotating knob is very glove friendly.

The beam of the Surefire isn't like a spotlight, it is more spread out so it lights more of the surrounding area. I used to live in an area that lost power a lot during spring storms. I had both lights at the time and NEVER used the Petzl. The Surefire was WAY better at lighting up a room. Plus, the Saint runs FOREVER at low settings with the battery box. I can't remember the last time I changed the batteries on it while the Petzl seems like it's always dead...probably because I buy cheap AAA's since it's the only thing I have that runs on them and it isn't my go to light anymore...lol.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Links