Is Snowden On The Edge Of A Big Boo-Boo?

This is a discussion on Is Snowden On The Edge Of A Big Boo-Boo? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been seeing various reports that Snowden may release further damaging info about the U.S.including military info. One was on CNN website Sunday night though ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Is Snowden On The Edge Of A Big Boo-Boo?

Is Snowden On The Edge Of A Big Boo-Boo?

I've been seeing various reports that Snowden may release further damaging info about the U.S.including military info. One was on CNN website Sunday night though I don't believe it included mention of military secrets.

I think he should be very careful. If people believe his goal is just to damage the U.S. he will lose some of the world's commendation which he needs, and especially the same here at home.

I think he should also stay away from info helpful to China and Russia because it looks close to actual espionage and muddies the waters, right now Espionage is a defeatable charge with very good attorneys should he be brought back to the U.S.. And he should NOT get into true military secrets going to other countries because that IS espionage and espionage I believe can be punishable by death. Whatever, it's a Charge no one would want.

He must keep to being a pure whistle blower giving info to the American people about an American Gov. secret program against the American people's interests (my view). He has done this and gotten a good reputation in the world for his risk. Revealing more will not improve this reputation and could hurt it. Since he hasn't got more than that, he better hold on to it very carefully. He is on the thinnest of lines.

Any opinions?

2. Remove Ads

I would think it depends on what the military info is. Now if its something that proves wrongdoing say in the Benghazi attacks by our elected officials then thats one thing. If its something helpful to our enemies like military secrets etc then he needs to keep his mouth shut. JMO
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

My opinion? Im surprised this man is alive. I guess the administration takes comfort in that not enough sheep are concerned. But since Jersey Shore is cancled and now the Zimmerman trial is over... we gatta watch something. My guess, he'll be dead or MIA soon.
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I would think it depends on what the military info is. Now if its something that proves wrongdoing say in the Benghazi attacks by our elected officials then thats one thing. If its something helpful to our enemies like military secrets etc then he needs to keep his mouth shut. JMO
    Yes, exactly, giving military secrets to our foes is really foolish. I think if it was me, to maintain what little safety I had, I'd cut further exposes and made sure little I'd ever revealed goes beyond helping our own people. But keeping num until he finds and gets safely into another country, I don't think is a bad idea.
    Last edited by detective; July 15th, 2013 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
    My opinion? Im surprised this man is alive. I guess the administration takes comfort in that not enough sheep are concerned. But since Jersey Shore is cancled and now the Zimmerman trial is over... we gatta watch something. My guess, he'll be dead or MIA soon.
    My idea is they'll grab him and sling mud all over him at his trial - anything but make him into a martyr. One lucky things is Obama is such a wet noodle no one on earth is particularly afraid of him, so they may ignore what he wants. Nevertheless, there is not a very long list of countries offering him asylum. And a life in Venezuela or Bolivia wouldn't be my favorite choices.

The issue is that your own government has trampled all over the Fourth Amendment and no one cares. Snowden should not be the focus. We need to quit talking about the symptoms and treat the disease.
    msgt/ret and pignut like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

VIP Member
    If he gives military secrets to another country then he's a traitor and should be dealt with just like we deal with any other traitor.

Revealing "secrets" about how our country is spying on it's own citizens is a different thing. I don't know how much of what he revealed is really a secret. It might not have been general knowledge but it wasn't a secret either.

How is he doing this anyway? Does he have a stolen thumb drive on him or something? Is he revealing things that he's read from secret files? Handwritten notes? Making stuff up as he goes along?

Whistleblower to Traitor can be a fine line depending on who's defining it.
    msgt/ret and detective like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    If he gives military secrets to another country then he's a traitor and should be dealt with just like we deal with any other traitor.
    I agree, both Snowden and Barack Hussein should be dealt with. "....all enemies, foreign and domestic....."
    pignut and msgt/ret like this.

I can't imagine why he would be concerned with coming back to face our most trustworthy govt and justice system:

I mean, if a DA doesn't bring charges they'll just send the DOJ down to rally the public against him, have the President speak out against him, then assign a special prosecutor to his case, who will bring charges without going to a grand jury, the media will doctor data to release to the public, the prosecutors will withhold evidence, the judge won't allow it into evidence once revealed, they will fire the whistle blower who exposed it, and even if a jury finds him not guilty they will then open a Federal civil case against him.

I'm sure that could never happen though...I'm just being ridiculous and paranoid. That kind of stuff only happens in Chicago.
    msgt/ret, phreddy, Dan060 and 2 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I mean, if a DA doesn't bring charges they'll just send the DOJ down to rally the public against him, have the President speak out against him, then assign a special prosecutor to his case, who will bring charges without going to a grand jury, the media will doctor data to release to the public, the prosecutors will withhold evidence, the judge won't allow it into evidence once revealed, they will fire the whistle blower who exposed it, and even if a jury finds him not guilty they will then open a Federal civil case against him.
    Silly...that would never happen! Oh, wait...
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

You guys realize that the secrets already divulged by Snowden are not just intel, but DoD....NSA is part of DoD unlike the CIA. Anyhoo, what is the difference if it is "military" or any other program. He purposely got his job to get into a position to uncover things. He is not a person that was in a joband saw something he thought was unethical..he sought it out.

He also broke his NDA which is against the law. He made no attempts to go to a supervisor, not because he was afraid to as is the situation with whislte blowers. He never sought that avenue because that was not his intent.

He is scum and should be dealt with accordingly.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    He is most certainly a scumbag . He did sign a non-disclosure and he broke that trust with us the American People.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Don't forget... Paul Revere was a "Traitor," too... Divulging military secrets to the general populace.... And to "Enemy Combatants." A lot of this is perspective.
    Oldpsufan and ksholder like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

VIP Member
    He crossed the line of a "big boo-boo" a long time ago. His 15 minutes of fame will be quite costly.
    Hodad likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yep, doesn't know when to quit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links