Allergies: A Very Interesting Story for Sufferers or Former Sufferers:

This is a discussion on Allergies: A Very Interesting Story for Sufferers or Former Sufferers: within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Weird topic and no cure for allergies at the end but if you like, interesting, (to me at least): a friend who suffers from allergies ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By packinnova

Thread: Allergies: A Very Interesting Story for Sufferers or Former Sufferers:

Allergies: A Very Interesting Story for Sufferers or Former Sufferers:

Weird topic and no cure for allergies at the end but if you like, interesting, (to me at least): a friend who suffers from allergies was going thru hell the other day - don't know why since I thought allergy season was over, though around here it's been especially bad this year. I've never had them - But got me remembering something:

A doctor who had treated me and I had become somewhat friends and he was leaving the area a few years ago. A mutual friend in an allied medical field, the doctor and me the non-medical person, were at a farewell dinner for him at a restaurant. The mutual friend happened to mention he used to have bad allergies as a kid and teen but that they quizzically stopped when he was older.

The doctor was a great doctor and half a researcher who regularly did research for NIH. He told us a story about when he was in Sri Lanka for a time (he's from India) for research purposes. He and 3 other doctors would meet for lunch daily at the hospital cafeteria.

One day one of them looked embarrassed and said he wanted to bring up a problem he'd been having that he was completely confused about. He said he'd noticed lately that his breasts had been getting larger! One of the others said that was amazing, HIS breasts had been growing TOO!

Now the doctor I knew said he immediately realized it was close to unheard of that ONE male's breasts were enlarging let alone TWO in the same small group. That was statistically impossible especially because none of them were related. The only thing they all had in common, he deducted, was lunching together.

Sri Lanka's diet is predominately chicken, which they had been eating frequently at the hospital cafeteria. My friend went up and got info from the manager as to where they got their chicken from. Eventually it was traced to a farm not far away. So one day all 4 doctors took a trip out there.

As soon as they saw the chickens they all understood at once. The chickens were as fat as pigs. And they knew why. And confirmed it with the Farmer: STEROIDS. He'd been giving the chickens a ton of steroids. Since these were the chickens they had been eating, this had effected the breast growth of both doctors, I guess a known effect of a good deal of steroids on males. They had solved the mystery.

But, back to our dinner, the Doctor had a theory based on his experience. It isn't uncommon for people who had had allergies to be free from them when they turn adults especially when they were adults by the 70s. That was when steroids began to be used in a widespread way for cattle and other animal food to increase their size. And steroids are also used medically to reduce patients allergy symptoms.

So, my friend the Doctor/Researcher's theory was that people with allergies when they were young were eating food with no steroids in it, the 50's and early 60's, so they fully felt their allergies, but as adults they now were eating foods that contained steroids, the 70's and on, and hence were unknowingly self-medicating themselves and their allergies were reduced.
    True? Who knows, My friend the doctor and researcher quickly said this was just his own off-hand theory. But that guy was very bright and quite intuitive. I think he may have had something there.

The moral of the story: if you have allergies move to Sri Lanka and eat a lot of chicken.
    Last edited by detective; July 16th, 2013 at 04:11 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Weird topic and no cure for allergies at the end but if you like, interesting, (to me at least): a friend who suffers from allergies was going thru hell the other day - don't know why since I thought allergy season was over, though around here it's been especially bad this year. I've never had them - But got me remembering something:

A doctor who had treated me and I had become somewhat friends and he was leaving the area a few years ago. A mutual friend in an allied medical field, the doctor and me the non-medical person, were at a farewell dinner for him at a restaurant. The mutual friend happened to mention he used to have bad allergies as a kid and teen but that they quizzically stopped when he was older.

The doctor was a great doctor and half a researcher who regularly did research for NIH. He told us a story about when he was in Sri Lanka for a time (he's from India) for research purposes. He and 3 other doctors would meet for lunch daily at the hospital cafeteria.

One day one of them looked embarrassed and said he wanted to bring up a problem he'd been having that he was completely confused about. He said he'd noticed lately that his breasts had been getting larger! One of the others said that was amazing, HIS breasts had TOO!

Now the doctor I knew said he immediately realized it was close to unheard of that ONE male's breasts were enlarging let alone TWO in the same small group. That was statistically impossible especially because none of them were related. The only thing they all had in common, he deducted, was lunching together.

Sri Lanka's diet is predominately chicken, which they had been eating frequently at the hospital cafeteria. My friend went up and got info from the manager as to where they got their chicken from. Eventually it was traced to a farm not far away. So one day all 4 doctors took a trip out there.

As soon as they saw the chickens they all understood at once. The chickens were as fat as pigs. And they knew why. And confirmed it with the Farmer: STEROIDS. He'd been giving the chickens a ton of steroids. Since these were the chickens they had been eating, this had effected the breast growth of both doctors, I guess a known effect of a good deal of steroids on males. They had solved the mystery.

But, back to our dinner, the Doctor had a theory based on his experience. It isn't uncommon for people who had had allergies to be free from them when they turn adults especially when they were adults by the 70s. That was when steroids began to be used in a widespread way for cattle and other animal food to increase their size. And steroids are also used medically to reduce patients allergy symptoms.

So, my friend the Doctor/Researcher's theory was that people with allergies when they were young were eating food with no steroids in it, the 50's and early 60's, so they fully felt their allergies, but as adults they now were eating foods that contained steroids, the 70's and on, and hence were unknowingly self-medicating themselves and their allergies were reduced.
    True? Who knows, My friend the doctor and researcher quickly said this was just his own off-hand theory. But that guy was very bright and quite intuitive. I think he may have had something there.

The moral of the story: if you have allergies move to Sri Lanka and eat a lot of chicken.
    an important bit you left out there... Buy a man bra for when you get there? What do you call that anyway...a bro? No thanks.. I think I'll keep the allergies.
    detective likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I just moved from Wisconsin to Arizona last month and somehow my allergies completely went away. I knew it was going to help my hay fever, but even my dog allergies are gone since I got here.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    I just moved from Wisconsin to Arizona last month and somehow my allergies completely went away. I knew it was going to help my hay fever, but even my dog allergies are gone since I got here.
    Why is that, less vegetation and plant life in AZ and hence pollen? Less humidity if that's got to do with allergies? I feel for those who suffer from them, somehow I escaped the bullet on that one - no idea what it's like. And therefore no real knowledge about them.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    an important bit you left out there... Buy a man bra for when you get there? What do you call that anyway...a bro? No thanks.. I think I'll keep the allergies.
    They are called Bra-men and upon citizenship you get 11 pounds of steroids along with a year's supply of nipple-rings.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    They are called Bra-men and upon citizenship you get 11 pounds of steroids along with a year's supply of nipple-rings.
    I did not need to picture that!

What about those of us who did not have allergies as kids but developed them as adults? I'm eating just as many steroids now as when I was a kid. lol
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    What about those of us who did not have allergies as kids but developed them as adults? I'm eating just as many steroids now as when I was a kid. lol
    Dunno, I hope they die down. Got a good doctor for your allergies?

Links