Surveillance system review - Netgear VueZone

This is a discussion on Surveillance system review - Netgear VueZone within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Iggy Review of Netgear VueZone – Surveillance System I had been pondering some sort of a camera system for my house for when we’re away ...

Thread: Surveillance system review - Netgear VueZone

Iggy Review of Netgear VueZone – Surveillance System

I had been pondering some sort of a camera system for my house for when we’re away so I could keep an eye on things. I didn’t want a full blown alarm system, etc so I started looking around and I came across the VueZone (link provided at the end of this review) and I have to say I’m quite pleased with it.

Pros:
    - Inexpensive, $180 from Amazon (I got mine for $140 with a coupon code at NewEgg)
    - Extremely simple to set up - Cameras are WIRELESS
    - Image and video quality is better than expected, even in lowlight (dark hallways) and depending on placement you could get very good images of someone’s face, but from a broader view you may not get that level of detail.
    - Can view from any computer or your smartphone
    - Can turn on motion sensors on the cameras and receive an email alert immediately if movement is noticed (with premium service package, more info below about that)
    - Cameras are very small and therefore aren’t obtrusive
    - Can add on more cameras if desired (with premium service package)

Cons:
    - Not really a con, but I did have to buy a new WIFI router because the one I had couldn’t keep a solid connection to the cameras. But I had noticed connectivity issues in general with my laptop and needed a new router anyway. But I wanted to be sure to mention that a decent quality WIFI router is needed.
    - Again, not really a con, but the free service is very basic as you’d expect, you can view on any computer or smartphone, but with the Premier Service at only $50 a year you get the motion detection alert system, the ability to expand with added cameras and the ability to zoom in remotely. I did sign up for Premium primarily for the email motion alerts.

Remote Video Monitoring System for Home, Pets, Kids & More : VueZone
    Service Plans : VueZone
    2013-07-15_1344 - Iguanadon's library (screenshot of my current setup)

Anyway, I thought I’d share if others had been contemplating anything similar.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

What about battery life? The specs say this:
    Battery life 6 months under normal use (5 min. per day)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Good question and I haven't owned it long enough to say. In comments I read on Amazon and other sites, most folks said that the camera batteries lasted about 6 months.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    Good question and I haven't owned it long enough to say. In comments I read on Amazon and other sites, most folks said that the camera batteries lasted about 6 months.
    I would guess it will be less. Depending on your setup and everything. The spec is for 5 minutes per day. From experience that could be much more. For an in the house security system I prefer wired (power and video) for many reasons. But...every situation is different.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    1. No sound?

2. I need this so I can prove which of my 2 offspring "started it."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Sponsored Links