Gotta Love Hollywood!

This is a discussion on Gotta Love Hollywood! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Everybody knows that hollywood likes to be a little, shall we say, "creative" when it comes to firearms. For instance, in the movie "Bad Ass" ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Gotta Love Hollywood!

Gotta Love Hollywood!

Everybody knows that hollywood likes to be a little, shall we say, "creative" when it comes to firearms.

For instance, in the movie "Bad Ass" with Danny Trejo, a pawn shop owner is able to determine just by looking at a 9mm casing that the gun that fired the round was "from an M9, Beretta. Probably a 15-round, staggered magazine. Gov't issued, armed forces s***. I rarely see this."

Similarly, the TV show "Numb3rs", had an episode from the first season in which armed robbers and counterfeiters were using Steyr TMPs - they were able to determine this from surveillance footage from a gas station. Later, another crime scene is found, and one of the FBI agents claims that the shell casings at the scene came from a Steyr TMP, thus allowing the FBI to determine that it was the same bad guys. Nevermind that the Steyr TMP fires 9mm - only one of the most popular handgun cartridges...

What hollywood "creative" thinking have you seen in regards to firearms?
    tinnerboy likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

2. Remove Ads

I have a hard time telling if the deformed bullet is from a 9mm or a .38 special. I love it when a petite woman shoots a Desert Eagle 50 AE with no visible recoil.
    MasterGadgets likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Hollywood

Sometimes I think the movies do more harm than anything when it comes to portraying guns and gun owners.
    MasterGadgets likes this.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I love the Hollywood guns that never run out of ammo. just keep shooting.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I was watching NATGEO the other day and was watching a "REALITY TV SHOW" Maine game wardens or something like that. One of the game wardens found an illegal kill, IIRC it was a moose, they dug the bullet out and he said to the camera nice 30.06! NM the fact that 308, 300 Blackout 300 Win, 300 Ultra, etc. etc... use the same bullet, and based on his keen eyes, there was no possibility that it was a 7.62x54R, or maybe a 7.62x 39..... or maybe a .264, 270, 280, 338 ultra, short, Lapua, 8mm etc.......

I was watching Alien vs. Predator 2, and just like I am Legend which he is the last man on earth when his AR runs out of ammo you hear click click click click.

How about in Predators, the backpack mini gun the guy shoots for 5 minutes @ 3000 rounds per minute, that's 15,000 rounds of.308 ammo, if he was shooting 150 grain bullets, just the bullets (not including the primers, cases or powder) it would weigh 300 pounds, then goes and reloads it from the same backpack. Just the powder would be 85 pounds. The gun alone weighs 85 pounds, I just looked up the cyclic rate I was off a mini has a cyclic rate of 2000-6000 RPM.

I've come to the conclusion that they do this because idiots that don't know any better will look at them in AWW. Nevermind the fact that they look like idiots, to the well informed.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I remember the one movie the bad guys were armed with AK's and their firepower was too much for the AR armed SWAT team. So after the SWAT team was forced to withdraw two plain clothes with PPK's went in and cleared the bad guys out.

How else do you expect the democrats to become "experts" in guns without Hollywood creativity like Diana DiGette (D-CO), who is an expert and knows all high capacity mags will be used up soon and then there will be no more available? Or the Milwaukee and Madison, WI democrats that are experts and want to ban deer hunting.....,er expanding ammunition.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    For instance, in the movie "Bad Ass" with Danny Trejo, a pawn shop owner is able to determine just by looking at a 9mm casing that the gun that fired the round was "from an M9, Beretta. Probably a 15-round, staggered magazine. Gov't issued, armed forces s***. I rarely see this."
    Totally plausible. I know several gun stores where the proprietors have a firearms knowledge base that is absolutely complete, even on any legal question about firearms, no need to consult an attorney at all! Their brains function as fully sentient, firearms supercomputers. Just ask them any question you want that's even vaguely relating to firearms and they will give you a superlative answer that they are so certain of they are likely to pull pistols on you if you dare to disagree...
    BigStick likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Hollywood is oatmeal for the brain dead. Just keep feeding the same old crap to the audience.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    I love the Hollywood guns that never run out of ammo. just keep shooting.
    That's my favorite thing about "The Walking Dead". The ammo just keeps on coming. I've seen them shoot about 15 times with a revolver. Wow, where did they get that!??
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

I'll be honost I would like to see more movies like "CLOVERFIELD"

Monster shows up out of nowhere, nobody knows why, their isn't some scientist specializing in Space Rocks that just so happens to be looking through a micro scope to figure out the DNA of the creature similar to that of a snow pea, which can be killed with Windex. In Cloverfield, the human race is in peril monster shows up starts killing everybody, then other little monsters bite or scratch you, and you explode, and nobody knows why nor can you or anybody else stop it. We use Apaches, F-16's, in the end a Nuclear bomb and the monster is still coming. Human Race is not being, or about to be wiped out, we are getting wiped out.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    That's my favorite thing about "The Walking Dead". The ammo just keeps on coming. I've seen them shoot about 15 times with a revolver. Wow, where did they get that!??
    How about the fact that everybody now can with no trouble shoot and hit the head of a moving zombie with little to no problem.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I'll be honost I would like to see more movies like "CLOVERFIELD"

Monster shows up out of nowhere, nobody knows why, their isn't some scientist specializing in Space Rocks that just so happens to be looking through a micro scope to figure out the DNA of the creature similar to that of a snow pea, which can be killed with Windex. In Cloverfield, the human race is in peril monster shows up starts killing everybody, then other little monsters bite or scratch you, and you explode, and nobody knows why nor can you or anybody else stop it. We use Apaches, F-16's, in the end a Nuclear bomb and the monster is still coming. Human Race is not being, or about to be wiped out, we are getting wiped out.
    I can definitely see that happening.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by tinnerboy View Post
    Sometimes I think the movies do more harm than anything when it comes to portraying guns and gun owners.
    Well, they are not there to make public service announcements LOL.....It is make beleive. But to be fair, I do sometimes question why they can't hit the broad side of a barn (metaphoricly) with the phasers in Star Trek. You would think by the 24th century they would have better sights.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

How about the infamous "Glock 7" from Die Hard

"Luggage? That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me. You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on your airport X-ray machines here and it costs more than what you make in a month!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links