Is Lead Ban Reason for Fewer Killings?

This is a discussion on Is Lead Ban Reason for Fewer Killings? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Murder mystery: Is lead ban reason for fewer killings? | Fox News This may be the most startling good news you will hear in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is Lead Ban Reason for Fewer Killings?

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array miklcolt45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    @ Wits' End
    Posts
    2,806

    Is Lead Ban Reason for Fewer Killings?

    Murder mystery: Is lead ban reason for fewer killings? | Fox News

    This may be the most startling good news you will hear in a while: Estimates suggest that this year the murder rate in the United States may sink to its lowest level in more than 100 years. And there's a good case to be made that the environmental movement is partly responsible.

    Now, you can graph lots of correlations using historical data. The sales of Beatles records matches well with deaths of American soldiers in Southeast Asia, for example, but that doesn't mean one caused the other. But there are two strong indications that lead and crime are related.

    First, it happened twice. The fact that both rates rose and fell, then rose and fell again, in sync, makes a coincidence more unlikely. Second, there has been significant medical and scientific investigation into the effect of lead on the brain, and it is more than plausible that exposure to this toxic substance in early youth could lead to violent behavior.
    Or, is the fact that more armed GGs can throw lead at their attackers?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    Correlation is not causation.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  4. #3
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,481
    That's it! It never was poor parenting and a nanny state contributing to the delinquency of our nation!

    Whew, 'Glad they solved that one.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  5. #4
    Distinguished Member
    Array manolito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Milford California
    Posts
    1,200
    I certainly wouldn't credit the advances in medical care! It makes sense to give the credit to environmentalists. Walks away shaking his head.
    Rock and Glock and mprp like this.

  6. #5
    Moderator
    Array Rock and Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado at 11,650'
    Posts
    12,377
    Idiots abound.

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    wasilla alaska
    Posts
    1,350
    YUP...

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Correlation is not causation.
    The problem is that both sides don't seem to realize that. Gun supporters will try to claim that the reason Chicago has a lot of murders is because of the gun laws when there is no evidence to support it. Anti-gun folks will try to claim that these mass shootings are caused by avalibility of firearms, large cap magazines, gun culture or many of things that have no basis in reality.
    Vuva3rae likes this.

  9. #8
    VIP Member
    Array msgt/ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,236
    Lead was not taken out of gasoline not for any environmental concern; it was removed because it clogged up catalytic converters rendering them ineffective. Funny thing when un-leaded fuel first came out it was cheaper than leaded gas.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Lead was not taken out of gasoline not for any environmental concern; it was removed because it clogged up catalytic converters rendering them ineffective. Funny thing when un-leaded fuel first came out it was cheaper than leaded gas.
    Weren't catalytic converters added to cars for environmental concerns? So if leaded gas harmed them, would the reason TEL (tetraethyallead) removed all environmental?

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Correlation is not causation.
    You say that but ever since I started carrying my lucky rock I have not seen one single polar bear in Atlanta.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array mprp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,906
    If there were an increase in murders in the U.S., they would have correlated it with global warming. No surprise here.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

    Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    You say that but ever since I started carrying my lucky rock I have not seen one single polar bear in Atlanta.
    We should get together and start "LuckRock.Com", lucky rocks to protect people against; falling satellites, meteors, alien abduction, yeti attacks.
    Brad426 likes this.

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    If there were an increase in murders in the U.S., they would have correlated it with global warming. No surprise here.
    Actually Freakonomics made a pretty good case for the drop in crime to be connected to Roe vs. Wade.

  15. #14
    New Member Array ashmanit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    colarodo
    Posts
    3
    Its a correlation and more study will be required..another thing one may propose is why with guns why not with knife or other..

  16. #15
    Member Array Vuva3rae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    167
    Here is the long-form article that made its rounds about six months ago, and which the Fox article may be based on: “America's real criminal element: lead”. Given Mother Jones's agenda and history, it should be take with a grain of salt, but it's an interesting read.

    A crucial point, which is not repeated in the Fox article, is that the use of tetraethyl lead rose at different times in different countries, and in each country the crime trends followed. Now, that starts to hint at there being more than correlation going on. (Beyond that, I haven't studied the topic.)

    So, can we credit the concealed-carry movement for the decrease in crime over the last two decades? Probably not—but that's not how I argue against gun control. Arguing against gun control by claiming that armed good guys reduce the overall crime rate is bad because it implicitly accepts the premise that self-defense is not a right, and that it should only be allowed if it's beneficial to "society." That's a collectivist premise. The proper objection to gun control is that it violates my invididual right to my life (and to defend it), just because someone else uses guns to commit crimes. A properly limited government cannot force me to sacrifice my life so that someone else may live. Harry Binswanger wrote a great article about this: “With gun control, cost–benefit analysis is amoral”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •