The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

This is a discussion on The Lone Ranger within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I might see a movie or two per year, and we happened to go last night (5 pm show). Small town and all, but there ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pittypat21

Thread: The Lone Ranger

VIP Member

The Lone Ranger

I might see a movie or two per year, and we happened to go last night (5 pm show). Small town and all, but there were only about 4 other people in the theatre aside from us. I had skimmed some news articles about it and they were not complimentary at all. I quit believing these "professional" writers a long time ago, and I put more trust into the opinion of my friends. I had two friends tell me to "go see it". So we did, my friends were right. We really enjoyed it, and I'd recommend seeing it. It has great effects, drama, sort of zany, and a lot to laugh about, it is a bit long (2 1/2 hrs.)

Tonto "made" the show. BTW, I don't know where Disney or any of these actors stand on guns, I could probably guess, despite that, I saw it and that's the way it goes.

Who has seen it and what did you think?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I saw it, enjoyed it, but to me it was very much Captain Jack Sparrow in a loincloth. Riding the horse atop the train was a bit too much Hollywood for me though.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My wife and I saw it last weekend and same thing, we ignored the professional critics and went to it knowing it wasn't supposed to be a serious "film". We enjoyed it, it was a bit of a parody with satire, a humorous twist to an old TV show with Johnny Depp pretty much being Jack Sparrow dressed up as an indian. If you go to it expecting to be entertained and getting a few chuckles, you'll enjoy it. If you go to it to dissect every scene and every line, you'll leave unhappy. We went to a Sunday matinee and the theater was almost full... with very few attendees under the age of 40.

Disney didn't quite hit the mark with making it appealing to all audiences, it seemed to only strike the fancy of the baby boomer generation that are familiar with the Lone Ranger.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

My wife and I had kind of written it off due to the poor reviews and box office numbers. But, maybe we'll give it a shot. On Fandango.com they have the "Fans say" and "Critics say" ratings and I'm usually closer to agreement with what the fans say as opposed to the critics. For The Lone Ranger, Fans say "Go" and critics say "No". I guess we should have gone with that and seen it already.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Saw it with my wife the day it was released...........we both liked it a lot.

Ever heard of Rotten Tomatoes? Some of the best movies have some of the worst ratings.
    ppkheat likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Links