Cap the dog??

This is a discussion on Cap the dog?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just curious, if you came across a dog attacking a person in city limits, would you shoot the dog? Assuming of course that your line ...

Thread: Cap the dog??

Cap the dog??

Just curious, if you came across a dog attacking a person in city limits, would you shoot the dog? Assuming of course that your line of fire would not cause collateral damage or injuries. I have seen in other posts where if you ever shoot a person, you WILL go to jail to sort it out. Discharging a firearm in city limits, careless use of a firearm etc...
    I know there are alot of what if's here, but lets say it is a really big dog and obviously getting the best of this person and attempts to stop the attack resulted in others being bit or attacked. What do ya think?? Is the weapon being used to protect a life gonna land you some jailtime or a suit from the dog owner?
    Shaf

2. Remove Ads

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    You\'re probaly right. In most cities, you probably would be taken into custody--at least questioned. YOur scenario is pretty clear cut; you might be detained, but not charged.

I am a long-time resident of a small community. I openly show and discuss new firearms and auto knives to local LEOs.

And about five years ago we did have a brain-donor that left his pitbull out all day while he was at work. The dog was picked up several times all over the town.

The cops said they were afraid the dog would be shot by hostile citizens. I simply told them, \"When (not if) it happens, the Gold Dots are mine.\"

They appreciated the fact I wouldn\'t use something that would over penetrate.

Not all America is politically correct.

DC Founder
    If the dog was seriously on the person, you might be able to get away with just reaching around and slitting the dog from ear to ear. If I shot him, it would be at point blank range.

That reminded me of a scenario to post....

I wouldn\'t worry about being charged with discharging a firearm in city limits as much as I would worry about some wacked-out PETA type attacking me for shooting a dog.

But I would shoot, rather than stand there and tell the victim that \"I would shoot the dog, but dischaging a firearm in city limits is illegal, so I\'m just gonna stand here on the phone with 911 and watch you get mauled.\"

So what if I\'m detained or charged, at least I\'ll have a clear conscience.

But let\'s be honest here. I hate to \'cap'anything.

For one thing, even one shot from a full power hollowpoint can chip the mother-of-pearl handles on your nickel plated \'nine.' You get GSR all over your bling. You track blood all over the floor of your Escalade. After the man gets all up on you, you have to drizzle all the way back to the \'hood. And Snoop is going to want a solid explanation as to why you capped a \'dogg.\'

As you can tell, I disapprove of the term \'cap.' We are honest citizens who enjoy the lawful use of firearms. I don\'t \'cap'anything. I discharge a firearm.

BTW, Shaf this is no condemnation of you personally. This type of slang is seeping into all of our language, even my own.

I can understand why you\'d \"drop it like it\'s hot,\" but for the life of me, I don\'t know why you\'d \"split the money three ways.\"

I was an Animal Control Officer. Hold your non-shooting arm forward. Let the canine bite down on it. Discharge your weapon into the animals chest.

This solves a lot of problems, and the owner gets to pay for damages...:kay:

You were ATTACKED.

Mikaldulee, YOU let the dog bite down on YOUR arm. I\'m putting one where it needs to go.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by The Tourist
    But let\'s be honest here. I hate to \'cap'anything.

For one thing, even one shot from a full power hollowpoint can chip the mother-of-pearl handles on your nickel plated \'nine.' You get GSR all over your bling. You track blood all over the floor of your Escalade. After the man gets all up on you, you have to drizzle all the way back to the \'hood. And Snoop is going to want a solid explanation as to why you capped a \'dogg.\'

As you can tell, I disapprove of the term \'cap.' We are honest citizens who enjoy the lawful use of firearms. I don\'t \'cap'anything. I discharge a firearm.

BTW, Shaf this is no condemnation of you personally. This type of slang is seeping into all of our language, even my own.

I can understand why you\'d \"drop it like it\'s hot,\" but for the life of me, I don\'t know why you\'d \"split the money three ways.\"
    I could not agree with you more :kay:

OK, OK!! Next time I will be sure to post the topic as discharge my firearm into the canine!! Would shoot the pooch work???
    Just funnin'wit ya!
    Shaf

HEY...them urban gansta types done stole the term \"cap\" from us southern born, white rednecks, I have used the term \"popping caps\" and \"pop a cap\" etc. to refer to shooting as long as I can remember, and I am 51.

mtrapper, been there done that , got the t-shirt.:D

Ya' know, deep down inside I felt that the term 'cap' was not a slang phrase created by a banger. Or any 'cap' for that matter.

After all, bangers don't even know which side of a cap faces towards the the front.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll use that HK advertisement as a refrence...

Well sorry fellas the only time i heard the term pop a cap was in the city of St Louis and it was slang for getting shot, so i got the heck out of town, wasnt carrying than.

Administrator

If It's A Mad Poodle...Don't Shoot!

Seriously...since there have been one or two past court trials where the OWNERS of vicious dogs that have attacked and killed people have been charged and (I think) actually convicted of murder ~ if a person was getting seriously mauled/attacked by a dog ~ then the attacking dog would likely be considered to be a "deadly weapon."

I am not much afeared of dogs (even the big ol' mean ones) since I worked for a few years around really large aminals (that is how my little nephew used to say Animals ~ "Am-In-Als") mostly African predatory cats.
    I sure have learned a very healthy respect for all four legged big beasts especially when they are obviously very POed. Work around them for just a few weeks & you learn to tell (at a glance) when they are "upset."
    In a populated urban setting I would rather run up & do a strategic grab & at the same time take it out with a knife.
    I would be more afraid of overpenetration and the chance of ricochet through a dog than I am afraid of the dog.
    Just the way I personally would handle the situation.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links