Long Threads

This is a discussion on Long Threads within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Curious how many read every single thread on a topic when they get beyond let's say 40-50..AND, do you still post a response w/o reading ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Long Threads

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Long Threads

Curious how many read every single thread on a topic when they get beyond let's say 40-50..AND, do you still post a response w/o reading ALL the threads?

Take the Zimmerman thread. It's very long. I sure didn't read every post. Yikes!
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It depends on how interesting the thread is and how long I have to sit and read. Also, many of the threads read very fast because some of the answers are "yep" and "I agree".
    atctimmy likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Here's hoping THIS won't be a long thread.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    40 posts? nope.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Some people don't read the post they are replying to. On another forum in an "I Hate Glocks" thread, I stated that I collect Ruger single-action revolvers, S&W double-action revolvers, 1911s, anything by Colt, and I own one Glock G20 SF 10mm. The reply including my quote said, "Since you are a Glock lover, I can see where you wouldn't appreciate a quality all steel gun."
    pittypat21 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member
    I'll rarely read down past 20 replies. My reply is usually to the OP's statement.

I'll also tend to scan who's replying. There are a good number here (and yes LimaCharlie, you're one) that I have a good amount of respect for, and always read their replies because it's worth reading.
    Oldpsufan likes this.

VIP Member
    After a few pages, most threads devolve into dumping grounds for rants, vents and arguments. I generally don't follow them much, if at all.
    OldCavTrooper and OldVet like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

It all depends on how it relates to me. If it's a particular gun brand I'm not interested in I skip it. Same goes for anything else that does not interest me. These threads fall off the page at an alarming rate simply because of the amount of new threads posted, so I try to only read and reply to what I feel I can contribute to.
    Hodad likes this.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

I read every post in every thread. AND, I was making an extensive database... I planned to sell it to the gubmint. Then I found out they was reading all MY posts. Now I'm not speaking to them.
    Patti and atctimmy like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    If it is super long, I will usually read the first page or two, and then the last page or two to make sure I get the gist of the conversation flow before I jump in. But sometimes when nobody is even talking about the OP anymore, I will reply directly to the OP to try to kick the thread back to the original target.
    Walk softly ...

Depends on the OP. If its something I feel like replying to, but there's already 3 pages on the thread, I'll scan through to make sure I'm not going to be repeating 10 other people. Unless its something that needs repeated.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I tend to read all the posts but have read over and missed info. On the Zimmerman thread I read but did not post seemed others were much better informed than me so I learned from their well thought out posts and shook my head at some others.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    It depends on how interesting the thread is and how long I have to sit and read. Also, many of the threads read very fast because some of the answers are "yep" and "I agree".
    Yep, I agree.
    Brad426 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I read the Zimmerman thread from 1st to last. I did not post once. I did watch some of the trial but kept up mostly by reading here and in other places. Big difference how the testimony changed from where it was read from. If I am interested I will read mega threads. If not I read three or four posts and then bail.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links