Anyone Know About Car Air Conditioning?

Anyone Know About Car Air Conditioning?

This is a discussion on Anyone Know About Car Air Conditioning? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a 2006 Dodge Stratus with warm air blowing. I picked up one of thoes DIY charging kits, this one is the EZChil Auto ...

Thread: Anyone Know About Car Air Conditioning?

Lightbulb Anyone Know About Car Air Conditioning?

I have a 2006 Dodge Stratus with warm air blowing. I picked up one of thoes DIY charging kits, this one is the EZChil Auto Air Conditioning to be specific. Anyways I hooked the gauge up to the low pressure port per the instructions and it instantly redlined at about 150psi. As the instructions said, I didnt charge the system. But it doesnt address what to do if it is overcharged aside from, "seek proffesional help." I prefer to DIY and am mechanicaly inclined to do so but this is a little beyond me. Any advice before I go and spend hundreds of dollars would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

Is the compressor clutch cycling at all?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Oops, I forgot to add that. I believe it is but I cant really see inside that area because of the position of the engine. It blows and it sounds like it is running.

If you are reading 150psi, you've most likely still got refrigerant. Like mcp1810 suggests, check to see if the compressor clutch is working (with hood open you can see the clutch engage/disengage when the A/C switch is turned on). Another easy thing to check is to see if your cooling fan is operating. It should turn on when the A/C is on (obviously engine must be running). If your cooling fan isn't working, you may see the compressor clutch initially engage, then disengage once the pressure switch gets tripped. Pressure switch is another good place to look. If you've got a multi-meter you can check continuity to see if it's stuck. I think a stuck switch would give you continuity.

Been a number of years since I did this for a living, and I am not familiar with your specific system so I am giving generalities here...

Ok, for the moment lets assume that it is. The evaporator housing should have a drain tube. If the evaporator is getting cold you should get condensate draining from that tube. If you are and it is blowing hot air the blend air door is probably in the wrong position. This a sort of basic quick check to avoid taking the dash apart if you don't have to.

With the guage hooked up and the system running does the needle move when the compressor cycles? (it should)

The basic mechanics of a typical A/C system are pretty straight forward. You have your compressor which compresses the rerifgerant (who'da thought?) the condensor in front of the radiator which needs air flow to condense (hence the name) the high pressure refrigerant gas to a liquid, an accumulator or some call it a receiver/drier, an expansion valve of some type to reduce the pressure and the evaporator where the now low pressure liquid boils off into a gas.

Most cars now use an electric fan (or two) for engine cooling and for the A/C condensor. Any time the A/C is on the fan should be running. If it does not the gas may not be condensing. If it is not, it could be a fuse, a sensor, a relay or the fan motor.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Ouch, I should have posted this earlier before I started losing daylight. Ill have to wait until the morning to check the rest. Thanks for the info so far though.

Sponsored Links