How to Cut Down More Gas $ When Using Car Air-Conditioner

This is a discussion on How to Cut Down More Gas $ When Using Car Air-Conditioner within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Old trick, but if you don't know it: just shut the outside air vent which otherwise makes your air-conditioner constantly have to cool a stream ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How to Cut Down More Gas $ When Using Car Air-Conditioner

How to Cut Down More Gas $ When Using Car Air-Conditioner

Old trick, but if you don't know it: just shut the outside air vent which otherwise makes your air-conditioner constantly have to cool a stream of outside hot air, instead of just cooling already cooled air inside car

After a bit if this way your car will feel too cold, especially if you're doing highway speeds. Make sure to adjust the level of the air-conditioning to correct the temperature upwards a bit, that's how you save $. If you just turn down the blower, the ac level stays on high and you won't reduce the extra mileage much.

In winter - if you have a real cold season - do the same, close the outside air vent. You won't save money but your car will just have to heat the air inside, which will get warmer faster than with 15 degree air pouring in through the open vent all the time.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    But then A/C Max keeps the compressor running full time instead of switching on and off as needed, thus burning more gas.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    But then A/C Max keeps the compressor running full time instead of switching on and off as needed, thus burning more gas.
    Set it below Max A/C and just switch to Recirculate, then the compressor cycles instead.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    My Chevy is either outside air or inside (Max).
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My Chevy is either outside air or inside (Max).
    Well there's your problem...you should be driving a Ford.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Well there's your problem...you should be driving a Ford.
    You buy, I'll fly.

But with A/C TURNED DOWN BY THE DRIVER WON"T THAT KEEP THE COMRESSOR FROM RUNNING F/SPEED?

VIP Member
    Nope, compressor is either on or off with air on; separate from fan speed. Out side air allows compressor to cycle on/off; inside air keeps it on continuously. I seldom use inside air as even on low speed the A/C will freeze the cab, especially at night. I often have to turn the temp control up a couple of notches.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Running on recirculate can freeze up the coil, have to be careful about that. Then it becomes less efficient and the compressor runs more. Actually, on newer vehicles the compressor has a negligible impact on gas mileage.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Running on recirculate can freeze up the coil, have to be careful about that. Then it becomes less efficient and the compressor runs more. Actually, on newer vehicles the compressor has a negligible impact on gas mileage.
    Thanks, I've got a '12. Good to know...

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Until the new CAFE standards kick in, at which point running an A/C compressor will probably take more gas than moving our little government-approved death traps.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Given Florida humidity in the summer, I run mine on full bore Alaska setting all the time in the summer anyway. Then from November to April I ride with my windows down.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Given Florida humidity in the summer, I run mine on full bore Alaska setting all the time in the summer anyway. Then from November to April I ride with my windows down.
    What's "full bore Alaska Setting"?

You buy, I'll fly.
    Geez I can barely afford gas OV...
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    What's "full bore Alaska Setting"?
    That's when it runs so hard icicles form on the outlets.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links