Ugly reality rears its head.....

This is a discussion on Ugly reality rears its head..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is a true story of denial and ugly reality : I was out running the other morning at 0330 (3:30 am) in Billings, before ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Chaplain Scott
  • 1 Post By sparkykb
  • 1 Post By gottabkiddin
  • 1 Post By gottabkiddin

Thread: Ugly reality rears its head.....

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Here is a true story of denial and ugly reality:

I was out running the other morning at 0330 (3:30 am) in Billings, before my hospital shift (actually my "running" these days should probably be called "slogging" ). Anyway, I see somebody approaching me on the sidewalk--which is pretty unusual at 0330.

My situational awareness is up a notch or two as I look at and assess him: He is "older", salt & pepper beard, not unkempt and looks like he could be walking for exercise. Turns out he was slightly drunk and needing directions, so I pointed him in the right direction (he had been walking in the opposite direction of the street he was looking for) and continued on with my "run".

I thought about calling Dispatch and just letting them know we had a drunk citizen meandering down the street--I thought about the description I would give dispatch: "White, Older, salt & pepper beard, 5'7" 260 lbs, dark green t-shirt, black knee length shorts"--then thought about how dispatch would respond--"What's 'older' mean"? Oh, about 61-65-----OH, DARN (that's MY age bracket) BIG SIGH
    msgt/ret and manolito like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Well at least you were out "slogging" along instead of being sloshed walking the wrong way! I'd chalk that up as a win!
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

5'7", 260. Dang! Better description would have been, (salt and pepper walking fireplug) in need of assistance.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    5'7", 260. Dang! Better description would have been, (salt and pepper walking fireplug) in need of assistance.
    Hey, I resemble that !

Seriously, I'm only 203 at 5'8", but I still need assistance.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I wish I could still manage to slog. These days it's a big deal to make it 100 yards in a slow wobble.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I wish I could still manage to slog. These days it's a big deal to make it 100 yards in a slow wobble.
    Yep, I'd be happy to be able to slog. Just the thought of slogging makes me hurt!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    Hey, I resemble that !

Seriously, I'm only 203 at 5'8", but I still need assistance.
    sorry, no offense intended... BTW, you are no where close to the fireplug, maybe a pit bull.

Besides, The 57 pound difference is something like a small child on the cats back.. Anyway, I feel I'm digging the hole deeper, so I'll stop now..

welder516 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Wow...you all are really old...
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    I'm a orange construction barrel two high
    Plus the "Fire Plug" could have been walking it off
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    sorry, no offense intended... BTW, you are no where close to the fireplug, maybe a pit bull.

Besides, The 57 pound difference is something like a small child on the cats back.. Anyway, I feel I'm digging the hole deeper, so I'll stop now..

That 57 pounds you talk about is centered right where you'd think it would be...... Kinda wished it was on my back.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Links