Save your ammo and have fun!

This is a discussion on Save your ammo and have fun! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am so tired of this ridiculous ammo shortage and inflated pricing. Yesterday morning I went to Walmart to pick up some 9mm ammo, the ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By onacoma

Thread: Save your ammo and have fun!

Save your ammo and have fun!

I am so tired of this ridiculous ammo shortage and inflated pricing. Yesterday morning I went to Walmart to pick up some 9mm ammo, the only caliber I do not reload for, to keep from dipping into my stock.
    Well, there was a line of people there at 0630 at the counter, and it was gone while there was still 7 people in front of me. Absolutely ridiculous!!!

But luckily, I have other interests that easily take the place of impromtu firearms shooting, and is just as fun and doesnt require a continual renewal of replacement ammo.

Thats right! My old traditional recurve! More fun than should be legal. A dozen arrows will last a long time as long as you dont lose them, and they can be outfitted with numerous tips for a variety of purposes on the fly.
    For instance, that collection of brass you cant find bullets or primers to reload? Well they make a cheap and effective "blunt" tip that knocks the crap out of small edible game or varmints, and can be used in the back yard even in urban areas.

And a small tackle box can hold tips for just about any purpose.

Yeah, Im going to let the gougers eat their money. I have plenty of primers,brass, and bullets on hand for my other needs, but Im trading in the 9mm shooting fun for something just as fun, economical, good exercise for the upper body( try holding a traditional 50 pound bow at full draw), and did I say its soooo much fun?
    And with a little practice, out to 10 yards at 6 inch circles, I can hit with it with pretty good accuracy! (although a little out of practice:)

The bow, a dozen arrows, and the tackle is less cost than a mid range quality 9mm pistol, and the money you can put back on ammo savings, not to mention the benefits of exercise and the meat you might put in the freezer, then add the fun factor, I say let people fight for the 9mm ammo, and empty their wallets, Im off that train wreck.

And, you can work on it yourself, and shoot in the house!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Great post & pics. Give you lots of credit on the recurve.

I still have & use my browning cobra I recurve that I got as a Xmas present when I was 13 years old. My fathers bear recurve is still in mint condition, and we use it.

I also make arrows, and refletch arrows. One thing I found is that all kinds of friends & relatives have old arrows in their garage that they would LOVE to GIVE you for free, just to get rid of them.

Refletch them, and off you go with all kinds of practice arrows.

One last thing; Great tip on the shell casing for safe target use. I will be trying that.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The new LGS also stocks quite a bit of archery gear. Alas, my shoulders won't let me draw a bow any longer or I'd be restringing my compound. I found making my own arrows just as relaxing as reloading ammo. It's a great sport to get involved in. Blank shafts can be expensive, but nocks, vanes, and inserts are cheap.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Lead Moderator
    Here is my latest non firearm tool. I also have a recurve and compound bows , but this is even more of a challenge.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Here is my latest non firearm tool. I also have a recurve and compound bows , but this is even more of a challenge.
    Yeah, I can see how that would be fun. As a kid, I couldn't hit squat with one though.might have been those imperfect rocks that flew off course, at least, that's my excuse.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My magic ammo was the 25 cent bag of marbles from the toy store. Heavy for caliber indeed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I save ammo and still have fun by shooting lasers, the nice part is I can do it in the house and not get yelled at by the wife.

VIP Member
    I have a couple of "wrist rockets." I bought a bag of pea gravel at home depot and and shoot at an old plastic jug from the back of my deck. Trying to anticipate the path of a flat rock is a challenge.

I have some .35 cal lead balls when I want to go for "accuracy."
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The new LGS also stocks quite a bit of archery gear. Alas, my shoulders won't let me draw a bow any longer or I'd be restringing my compound. I found making my own arrows just as relaxing as reloading ammo. It's a great sport to get involved in. Blank shafts can be expensive, but nocks, vanes, and inserts are cheap.
    That what they make Crossbows for! And yes those armor piercing arrowhead are expensive!
    tdave likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Been looking at cross bows and compound bows but don't know squat other than I'm OK around here if I use inanimate targets.

I bought a BB rifle. I got 6,000 rounds of ammunition at WalMart for $9.95.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I've been thinking I should pick one of those up, I've always liked archery. How long do recurves last? I imagine the outer layers start to give eventually, under heavy use.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I've been thinking I should pick one of those up, I've always liked archery. How long do recurves last? I imagine the outer layers start to give eventually, under heavy use.
    I have had the one pictured for about 12 years. I have a compound also, but the traditional bow is so much more fun, easy to tune, and you can use the Zwicky and other cut-to -the tip broadheads easier, because they can be used to target practice and resharpened for field use, unlike the thin razor type broadheads sold in packs of three for 20 bucks, and they bend easier and cannot be sharpened.

Links