Vote on "Criminal Tools" in Huntington, WV

This is a discussion on Vote on "Criminal Tools" in Huntington, WV within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There are other states, Ohio across the river is one that have similar laws. Possessing pry bars and such when that person really isn't engaged ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Vote on "Criminal Tools" in Huntington, WV

Vote on "Criminal Tools" in Huntington, WV

There are other states, Ohio across the river is one that have similar laws. Possessing pry bars and such when that person really isn't engaged in the business of demolition or construction will be considered illegal. City Council will be voting on making this a law.

I have mixed feelings about this but with all the home invasion and burglary going on in my town, I can see this as another "tool" that Law Enforcement can have to identify those who are committing the crime.

Maybe they will catch the person who used such tools to gain entry to my home and steal my guns. I'd be all for a law like this if that was going to happen

Criminal tools measure up for vote - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Mere possession of items likely won't hold up in an appeals court. Such charges typically only hold up when in "commission of a crime." Having a screwdriver isn't illegal; having a screwdriver while breaking in is.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Most everyone I know has a tool that could be used in burglary. I own a pry bar for prying nails because a claw hammer is not very efficient. Heck you can go online and buy lock picking equipment.
    msgt/ret, Secret Spuk and rigel42 like this.
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow

VIP Member
    I think it's a good way for the police to sort out who's worth a second look and who's not. I seriously doubt anyone will ever be prosecuted for having one of these tools in their car.

But, if they're running down the street with a crowbar then the police can stop them and see if there's anything else to the situation.

Believe it or not, there was a law a few years ago in my town that prohibited people from wearing hoodies with the hood up while on the streets.

NOT ONE person was ever stopped on that alone but several were stopped just after a 7-11 was robbed within 1/4 mile from where they were sighted. Turns out one of the guys was the robber.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    Most everyone I know has a tool that could be used in burglary. I own a pry bar for prying nails because a claw hammer is not very efficient. Heck you can go online and buy lock picking equipment.
    True indeed. I was flipping through Cheaper Than Dirt's catalog the other day and notice they have them listed too.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I think it's a good way for the police to sort out who's worth a second look and who's not. I seriously doubt anyone will ever be prosecuted for having one of these tools in their car.

But, if they're running down the street with a crowbar then the police can stop them and see if there's anything else to the situation.

Believe it or not, there was a law a few years ago in my town that prohibited people from wearing hoodies with the hood up while on the streets.

NOT ONE person was ever stopped on that alone but several were stopped just after a 7-11 was robbed within 1/4 mile from where they were sighted. Turns out one of the guys was the robber.
    Ridiculous.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Very careful what you wish for. If a person can be stopped questioned etc etc because they are carrying a pry bar or tool, "come on now im serious theres a ton of legit reasons for doing that" how long do you think itll be before as Jean posted you can be stopped because of a hoodie, or other article of clothing?

A OC firearm? A knife? This is nanny state feel good, over reaching by LE stuff we all grumble about wont do squat to accomplish anything except by blind luck. Just like gun regs.

CAnt that just leave people alone? AFter 200 plus years of making laws, most of which were stupid laws, you would think they could just stop already. But no lets find a tool to pass a law about. Good Grief
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Here are some illegal tools: a knife with a blade over 5 and one-half inches; a shotgun with a bbl length of less than 18 inches, or overall length of 26 inches; knuckles with finger rings or guards; a switchblade knife that opens automatically; a Zip gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Very careful what you wish for. If a person can be stopped questioned etc etc because they are carrying a pry bar or tool, "come on now im serious theres a ton of legit reasons for doing that" how long do you think itll be before as Jean posted you can be stopped because of a hoodie, or other article of clothing?

A OC firearm? A knife? This is nanny state feel good, over reaching by LE stuff we all grumble about wont do squat to accomplish anything except by blind luck. Just like gun regs.

CAnt that just leave people alone? AFter 200 plus years of making laws, most of which were stupid laws, you would think they could just stop already. But no lets find a tool to pass a law about. Good Grief

Quote Originally Posted by sanfordreed View Post
    Here are some illegal tools: a knife with a blade over 5 and one-half inches; a shotgun with a bbl length of less than 18 inches, or overall length of 26 inches; knuckles with finger rings or guards; a switchblade knife that opens automatically; a Zip gun.
    On that list I dont see anything that should be regulated or outlawed. All those things are inanimate objects with no ability to do any harm until a person uses one to either defend themselves or a BG to attack someone.

Point being, regulating objects that cant do anything by themselves is just plain stupid. Trying to fortune tail who is going to commit a crime with one until they actually attempt the crime is equally stupid, over reaching by the state and feds and LE. Does nothing but give a few sheeple a false sense of security and opens the door wider for infringement of our rights.

Again after 200 + years if law makers havent got it right by now they never will and should have stopped making laws that stepped all over our rights say,,,,, 100 yrs ago"???
    msgt/ret and packinnova like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    There are other states, Ohio across the river is one that have similar laws. Possessing pry bars and such when that person really isn't engaged in the business of demolition or construction will be considered illegal. City Council will be voting on making this a law.

I have mixed feelings about this but with all the home invasion and burglary going on in my town, I can see this as another "tool" that Law Enforcement can have to identify those who are committing the crime.

Maybe they will catch the person who used such tools to gain entry to my home and steal my guns. I'd be all for a law like this if that was going to happen

Criminal tools measure up for vote - The Herald Dispatch
    WHY WHY WHY? WHY ALLOW IDIOTS to rule? Seriously folks. B&E is already a crime. Enough criminalizing every aspect of our lives. GEEBUS! People don't seem to understand what they're throwing away everytime they petition their representative critters for crap like this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    There's money to be made in laws like this.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    seven years ago i was stopped while on foot and searched without my consent. the officer just reached into my pockets and started to pull stuff out. the officer said he stopped me because he saw a flashlight in my pocket (a surefire 9P) and wanted to see if i had any lock picking tools in my possession. because you know, only cops are allowed to have flash lights and anyone else carrying a light must be a criminal.

just to be clear, i was not in possession of any "criminal tools" that night or ever. the officer demanded an explanation as to why i carried a flash light, a criminal tool and a potential weapon in his view. i had my CCW but was not armed, i explained to the officer that i was headed to the bar and decided that since i would be without my 1911 a powerful light would be a good idea, he sent me on my way. i should of filed a complaint
    NONAME762 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    Seven years ago i was stopped while on foot and searched without my consent. the officer just reached into my pockets and started to pull stuff out. The officer said he stopped me because he saw a flashlight in my pocket (a surefire 9P) and wanted to see if i had any lock picking tools in my possession. Because you know, only cops are allowed to have flash lights and anyone else carrying a light must be a criminal.

Just to be clear, i was not in possession of any "criminal tools" that night or ever. the officer demanded an explanation as to why i carried a flash light, a criminal tool and a potential weapon in his view. I had my CCW but was not armed, i explained to the officer that i was headed to the bar and decided that since i would be without my 1911 a powerful light would be a good idea, he sent me on my way. i should of filed a complaint
    Shoot I've carried a small (2 AA) Maglite since before 1994 as part of my EDC rig whether I am armed or not. It's holstered with a Leatherman Multi-tool.

I can barely remember the last time I was hassled by a cop in Spirit Lake Idaho in 1991. That's a story for another forum. Perhaps.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I did state that I have mixed feelings about this, but when you become a victim of a burglary, then somehow it makes sense to question someone having pry tools when they don't seem to be using them for the intended purpose.

I think that what some people may be driving at is that this could somehow sink to the point of losing rights and why can't we be in possession of such tools? It does indeed appear to be a slippery slope. However, if the Police can thwart a potential burglary or home invasion by noticing that person has such things then it could be good.

Yet, I want the maggot who pried open my back door with some kind of pry tool and stole my firearms to get caught. Hopefully he will have his "equipment" with him and then I will know who robbed me. Also, I look around at the not-so-nice looking folks wandering around my 'hood that may be carrying such devices. It makes one think.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    seven years ago i was stopped while on foot and searched without my consent. the officer just reached into my pockets and started to pull stuff out. the officer said he stopped me because he saw a flashlight in my pocket (a surefire 9P) and wanted to see if i had any lock picking tools in my possession. because you know, only cops are allowed to have flash lights and anyone else carrying a light must be a criminal.

just to be clear, i was not in possession of any "criminal tools" that night or ever. the officer demanded an explanation as to why i carried a flash light, a criminal tool and a potential weapon in his view. i had my CCW but was not armed, i explained to the officer that i was headed to the bar and decided that since i would be without my 1911 a powerful light would be a good idea, he sent me on my way. i should of filed a complaint
    Uh, yeah...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links