SURPRISE! : CITIES Are Safer to Live In Than The Country:

This is a discussion on SURPRISE! : CITIES Are Safer to Live In Than The Country: within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Very interesting, to me anyway: Turns Out Cities Are Safest Places To Live (By Bryan Walsh, TIME.com - and also published on CNN) Turns out ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: SURPRISE! : CITIES Are Safer to Live In Than The Country:

Very interesting, to me anyway:

Turns Out Cities Are Safest Places To Live
    (By Bryan Walsh, TIME.com - and also published on CNN)

Turns out cities are safest places to live - CNN.com

I laugh in the face of danger Especially if avoiding it means Id have to live in the city. Tried it, hated it, Ill stay out here with the possums and coyotes thanks.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    I`ll take my chances. grow up in the city, hated it. living in the city now for school and hating it more then ever.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Can't imagine ever living in a city again. Much rather die once, even if earlier, than die every day.

Most of that death rate is due to accidents being double in a rural setting compared to city limits. Makes sense - that's where the speed is. Throw in lower population density, and that's what stats will do.

I've always enjoyed city living but also enjoy the "countryside". I've been living back and forth between the two for about seven years now.. I suppose one of these days I'll have to make up mind.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Well, there's not enough room for everyone to live in the countryside. Actually, with the ubiquitination of the internet, there's a LOT of modern entertainment options to be had. After working in grass all day, you can sit and surf the web. Plus, the greatly reduced odds of schizophrenia is something to be embraced, given its devastating effects.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Well y'all are welcome to your opinions... I'm not saying I disagree, exactly...

I grew up as a kid in a major city in western WA. When I got out of the Service I moved to a small town to go to school on the old GI Bill. And ended up staying. It was pretty much Hicksville in 1975.

Thirty eight years later it's still a small town tho it's grown by leaps and bounds and frankly it's a big tad too big now but I'm kinda stuck here. Too old and busted up to relocate to Idaho or points east plus all my kin are close.

Frankly I've no idea what the population of my town is. It was less than 8,000 in 75. Might be maybe 20,000 now. Except for my Sister the big city has nuttin' I want I can't get hereabouts. I'm OK being a small town guy. It works for me.
    detective likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    Rule number 1). Keep your shirt tail away the shaft and PTO on the tractor. Rule number 2). Keep the tractor in its original state of agreement with gravity; sitting on all four wheels. Rule number 3) Don't do surprise checks on the underside of anything like a bush hog or cultivator. Rule number 4). When working on the roof, use only the ladder to descend. Rule number 5) be careful when you go to town.

Easy.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member
    Oops. Delete doesn't work
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Rule number 1). Keep your shirt tail away the shaft and PTO on the tractor. Rule number 2). Keep the tractor in its original state of agreement with gravity; sitting on all four wheels. Rule number 3) Don't do surprise checks on the underside of anything like a bush hog or cultivator. Rule number 4). When working on the roof, use only the ladder to descend. Rule number 5) be careful when you go to town.

Easy.
    I am not trying to over complicate things, BUT

Rule number 7), also may be rule number 3.A) purchase hornet spray by the case and keep a can in your overalls.
    Rule number 8) Learn how to make use of what you have for tools. A tree limb can be used as a screwdriver or pry bar and a large rock as a hammer, especially when changing implements on the tractor.
    Rule number 9), also may be Rule number 3.B) Become proficient at killing a snake with whatever you have in your hands or on your feet.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Always consider the source of these news "stories" and their hidden agendas.....
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    I'll take my chances out here in the country. Whenever I drive into the Washington DC area where I lived for years...I can't wait to get out.

I never felt unsafe there but I don't feel unsafe here either. I suppose if you live behind multilocked doors in a high density area where the police are 3 minutes away...it might be safer.

Our biggest problem here is that drug dealers from the city come here to do business...then run back to the city. If we could stop that activity we would stop 90% of the crime.Drug addicts are responsible for most of it.

You may be safer in the city, but at a high cost IMO.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

The risk of injury death — which counts both violent crime and accidents — is more than 20% higher in the countryside than it is in large urban areas.
    Yeah, it's trivial. I mean, pro-actively avoid accidents and crime, of course, but statistically a 20% change on a really small number is just not something to bite your nails over. The perceived quality-of-life differences should vastly override this issue.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    In my rural area, it is safe for me to go outside, in my underwear and fire off 50 or so practice rounds. I believe such actions would be dangerous in an urban area.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Regardless of where you reside the level of danger depends on where you live, work, travel and play live doesn't it?

Case in point: LA, South Central and Compton not so safe; Beverly Hills or Malibu not so bad.

City or country, doesn't matter to me as long as it is located in the good ol' USA.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links