Nearly unbelievable!

Nearly unbelievable!

This is a discussion on Nearly unbelievable! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Got this from my son just now - it is probably all around the net so, sorry if you've seen it already. These are just ...

Assistant Administrator

Nearly unbelievable!

Got this from my son just now - it is probably all around the net so, sorry if you've seen it already.

These are just amazing - and that is me being polite Oh this wonderful litigious society we have - makes me wonder tho about judges and juries and where common sense went.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Stella Awards are named after 81 year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonald's (in NM). That case inspired the Stella Awards for the most frivolous, ridiculous, successful lawsuits in the United States .

Here are this year's winners:

5th Place (tie): Kathleen Robertson of Austin , Texas was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers, after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler, who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little toddler was Ms. Robertson's son...

5th Place (tie): 19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses, when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car as he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

5th Place (tie): Terrence Dickson of Bristol , Pennsylvania was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up, since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house, because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance, claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed, to the tune of $500,000!!

4th Place : Jerry Williams of Little Rock , Arkansas , was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses, after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought, because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr. Williams, who had climbed over the fence into the yard and was shooting at it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

3rd Place : A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster , Pennsylvania , $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor, because Ms Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

2nd Place : Kara Walton of Claymont , Delaware , successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city, when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

1st Place : This year's runaway winner was Mrs. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City , Oklahoma . Mrs. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, (from an OU football game), having driven onto the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go into the back & make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising her in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded her $1,750,000, plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons around.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

thankfully seems to be a fake....entertaining just the same though!
    http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.asp

Assistant Administrator
    I had forgotten to check but hey - almost nothing surprises me anymore these days so - I'd not be surprised to see such things.

Good for a chuckle tho!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Thank goodness they are fake. I wish judges when they see a case similar to these in real life could send up the person that submits along with his lawyer for wasting the Courts time!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

If you go to the bottom of that same page it shows some real cases that were thrown out of court. http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.asp
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Suing some one over something, merit aside, is the national passtime.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

The sad thing is, the examples in the main post may be fake but there are alot of ones that aren't.

Here in town (no links or sources for them, just ones that I personally know of):

Thief sued a homeowner for 150,000 for cutting themselves on the window that the thief had just broken to gain entry. Verdict: Settled out of court via the homeowners insurance company's lawyer's advice. Homeowner was then dropped by said insurance compnay.

Car owner sued by car thief after said thief went down an enbankment (was drunk), rolled, and hit tree. Thief won in court for medical costs, seems that the car had faulty brakes, of which was the reason that owner of said car didn't drive it and why it was in the driveway so that the thief could steal it. Reason for verdict: Reckless endangerment by the car owner for car having faulty brakes.

Home Owner: Sued, and lost, for door to door people (I think they were of the Morman chruch, that never really was said) when one of them stepped up on the front porch and fall through rotting wood. The wood ended up penatrating the persons leg which then turned into blood poisoning due to the person didn't go to the ER/Doc to have it checked out. Verdict: The rotten porch hadn't been marked as dangerous so therefore it was the homeowner who was responsible. ------- Never mind the no Solicaters(sp) sign posted on the porch column before you even reached the porch itself.

That is just around here. I'm sure there are many others out there.

Wayne
    Last edited by Wayne; November 27th, 2006 at 02:25 PM. Reason: home sick today, stomach problems so when spasisms(sp) hit I don't type so well.

Links