Who likes it Hot, Hot, HOT!

This is a discussion on Who likes it Hot, Hot, HOT! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Now I know I'm not the only person here who loves hot and spicy foods and condiments. Fess up! Favorite spicy condiments: - Melinda's Habanero ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Who likes it Hot, Hot, HOT!

VIP Member

Who likes it Hot, Hot, HOT!

Now I know I'm not the only person here who loves hot and spicy foods and condiments. Fess up!

Favorite spicy condiments:
    - Melinda's Habanero Ketchup (for burger heaven)
    - Melinda's Scotch Bonnet hot sauce (good all around flavor with a twang of fruity)
    - Cholula's Chipotle hot sauce (good smoky flavor for meaty dishes)

I've had the Dave's Insanity line of sauces and a dozen others brands all over the Scoville scale. I don't really go for the uber-hot sauces much anymore; I like a good balance between heat and flavor - food should be pleasurable and sometimes on the daring side but not torture.

If you use any of the following sauces, please note that it was just in the news that they were found to contain dangerous levels of lead. All are made in Mexico.
    - Castillo Salsa Habanera
    - El Pato Salsa Picante
    - Bufalo Salsa Clasica
    - El Yucateco Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero (I see this brand in Mex restaurants a lot)

I had one bite of a chicken wing from some joint that was rated "thermonuclear" and I nearly passed out.

Give me the volcano roll at a sushi restaurant.

I like the new bacon habanero ranch Quarter Pounder.

I once ordered the native thai spicy crab claw plate at a Thai restaurant, and the waiter asked me multiple times if I was sure. I kept saying yes, and the biggest, most wonderful steaming plate of crab claws with veggies came out. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the chef standing nervously at the door watching to see if I would barf my brains out and send back a rather expensive plate. He really was standing there with his hand on his mouth, just waiting to be mortified. I dug in, pigged out, and let the heat flow. One very relieved and pleased chef went back to his kitchen.

Good, not-too-spicy homemade po'dunk sauce (my husband hates spicy but will eat this):

1/2 cup mayo (NOT Miracle Whip)
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon melted butter
    1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon red chile powder or red pepper flakes

Whip it all up, let sit for a few hours.

I found that recipe on this food blog, and her recipes haven't failed me yet.
    Sister likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Na !!!! Cant take peppers Sorry.

VIP Member
    That sauce sounds really good. I don't know if I could handle 2 tsp of Tabasco though. I'd probably start with 1tsp.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I love spicy. The Mexicans at the restaurants look a me funny when I ask in Spanish for hot sauce to drizzle on my food, unless they already have it on the table. I like El Yucateco Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero, probably my favourite.

I actually am growing some Habanero's, Jalapenos and Ghost Peppers. All the plants got mixed up and I don't know what is what yet. I like to put an Habanero and a Jalapeno in chili when I cook it. I'm usually the only one who can eat it without passing out.

The best way I have found to put peppers in Chili is to freeze them, then put the frozen peppers in a small food chopper and they make nice frozen little spicy bits that go straight into the chili pot. That way you don't lose any of the spicy oils in the pepper and you get the full effect.
    Sister and blitzburgh like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I LOVE spicy food! I typically complain that the "hot" food at restaurants is NOT hot.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I love spicy. The Mexicans at the restaurants look a me funny when I ask in Spanish for hot sauce to drizzle on my food, unless they already have it on the table. I like El Yucateco Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero, probably my favourite.

I actually am growing some Habanero's, Jalapenos and Ghost Peppers. All the plants got mixed up and I don't know what is what yet. I like to put an Habanero and a Jalapeno in chili when I cook it. I'm usually the only one who can eat it without passing out.

The best way I have found to put peppers in Chili is to freeze them, then put the frozen peppers in a small food chopper and they make nice frozen little spicy bits that go straight into the chili pot. That way you don't lose any of the spicy oils in the pepper and you get the full effect.
    I grew ghost peppers a few years ago and made hot sauce out of them. It was so hot it scared me! I did use it occasionally, but only in small amounts!

Also, on the chili, have you tried dehydrating the Habaneros (either halves or whole), then adding them to the chili? That's how I do it. They lose a bit of their heat in the dehydration process, but they retain most of their flavor.
    Sister and blitzburgh like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I grew ghost peppers a few years ago and made hot sauce out of them. It was so hot it scared me! I did use it occasionally, but only in small amounts!

Also, on the chili, have you tried dehydrating the Habaneros (either halves or whole), then adding them to the chili? That's how I do it. They lose a bit of their heat in the dehydration process, but they retain most of their flavor.
    I have never had Ghost peppers before but have heard stuff about them. Looking forward to dunking one in a batch of chili. I am a bit careful when preparing any hot pepper, they can hurt a fellow when the capsaicin oil gets rubbed in the wrong place or the vapour of the simmering pepper gets inhaled. I've been "pepper sprayed" like that and it ain't fun.

I have been told to dehydrate peppers too but as of yet have not gone that route but thanks for the suggestion. I would never have eaten anything like this when I was younger but now, I love it.

Despite what folks believe, hot peppers do not cause ulcers and they are quite beneficial when consumed properly. The Aztecs put hot peppers in their hot chocolate drinks and I have seen a video of a Mexican woman making hot chocolate the ancient way and putting in peppers for spice. Not sure if I'd like to consume something like that but who knows, it may be good.
    Sister likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Never got too much of a taste for it; Minnesota isn't exactly spice central. I enjoy some spicy wings, Chinese, or potato chips every now and then, but that's about it.

I never realized how much of a cultural thing it was until I went to a Buffalo Wild Wings with an Indian coworker. I went with their Caribbean jerk, which is about my limit to actually eat much of (at least if I have to return to work in presentable condition), and our other companions got similar heat levels or a little hotter if they wanted to look tough. He, however, got "Blazing" and just scarfed 'em, didn't even seem to notice. I tried a taste of the sauce and spent the next five minutes swishing water in my mouth and waiting for the pain to stop.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I love it hot. I had a friend who I had jalapeno eating contests with. They weren't much of a contest, so we'd try a habenero every once in a while. They were much hotter.

How great is a woman that eats all of this?

Now I know I'm not the only person here who loves hot and spicy foods and condiments. Fess up!

Favorite spicy condiments:
    - Melinda's Habanero Ketchup (for burger heaven)
    - Melinda's Scotch Bonnet hot sauce (good all around flavor with a twang of fruity)
    - Cholula's Chipotle hot sauce (good smoky flavor for meaty dishes)

I've had the Dave's Insanity line of sauces and a dozen others brands all over the Scoville scale. I don't really go for the uber-hot sauces much anymore; I like a good balance between heat and flavor - food should be pleasurable and sometimes on the daring side but not torture.

If you use any of the following sauces, please note that it was just in the news that they were found to contain dangerous levels of lead. All are made in Mexico.
    - Castillo Salsa Habanera
    - El Pato Salsa Picante
    - Bufalo Salsa Clasica
    - El Yucateco Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero (I see this brand in Mex restaurants a lot)

I had one bite of a chicken wing from some joint that was rated "thermonuclear" and I nearly passed out.

Give me the volcano roll at a sushi restaurant.

I like the new bacon habanero ranch Quarter Pounder.

I once ordered the native thai spicy crab claw plate at a Thai restaurant, and the waiter asked me multiple times if I was sure. I kept saying yes, and the biggest, most wonderful steaming plate of crab claws with veggies came out. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the chef standing nervously at the door watching to see if I would barf my brains out and send back a rather expensive plate. He really was standing there with his hand on his mouth, just waiting to be mortified. I dug in, pigged out, and let the heat flow. One very relieved and pleased chef went back to his kitchen.

Good, not-too-spicy homemade po'dunk sauce (my husband hates spicy but will eat this):

1/2 cup mayo (NOT Miracle Whip)
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon melted butter
    1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon red chile powder or red pepper flakes

Whip it all up, let sit for a few hours.

I found that recipe on this food blog, and her recipes haven't failed me yet.
    Sister likes this.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

VIP Member
    Was stationed for a year Thailand and still love spicy foods, I do have to tone it down since my roommate can’t quite handle the heat.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    Na !!!! Cant take peppers Sorry.
    If there's even ONE jalapeno pepper on my plate I'm either sending it back or NOT paying...
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    This year I'm also growing Habanero's and Jalapenos. My first year with the Habanero's. Have been eating raw Jalapenos for years (just had a few 10 min ago). Love em with Black Krim Tomatoes on a sandwich. Yes, they are very good for you. Will help an ulcer by killing the bacteria causing the ulcer (contrary to what most believe about hot food and ulcers). Never had any food too hot so far in my lifetime.

TY Betty for the thread, Peppers are just about my favorite food! A friend pickled the Jalapenos from a plant I gave her last year. She had a big jar and gave it to me. They were wonderful, pickled in a wine vinegar. A neighbor from Sri Lanka takes the Habanero's and sauté's them with yogurt. Sounds terrible, taste will take your lips off and it's delish!
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Love spicy food. Texas Pete is the main ingredient in everything I make. I must go through 3 bottles a week if not more. I once had wings so hot I could have sworn i was poohing out acid. Not sure what they used but it was a bright red sauce and after the first three became painful to eat. I eat all 30 of them in an hour along with a gallon of water. I was on the throne before I even finished them. Even though I was in pain for days it was worth it. You can find these wings at wing zone I think.

Just recalling the experience is making me sweat.
    NONAME762 likes this.

I had (mild) Kung Pao chicken for the first time in my life about a month ago (from the grocery store frozen aisle) and got some in my freezer right now. Despite my Mom being born and raised in Texas she never cooked us spicy hot anything when I lived at home from a little guy through high school. Fact is none of my aunts (and they were all great cooks never cooked spicy dishes. I was just never exposed to it. Heck I never had BBQ till I was stationed in Kansas 40 years ago but from my first taste I was hooked!!!

Now and then I might get a bag of spicy mesquite tater chips or spicy pork n beans. The strongest salsa I can handle is where I break into a sweat on my forehead. Funny thing about that. I was camping in Idaho near Bonners Ferry the very first time I ever had Salsa. That was in 1994. I liked it. I liked it so much I made a trade where I received 8 quarts of Home Canned (in Ball jars) Salsa made by HIPPIES!!!!!!!!!! Mind you now I had a soft spot in my heart for Hippie girls going back to high school.....

That Salsa I brought home barely lasted me a week. I was nearly drinking it, it was sooooo yummy!!!!! Plus on my way home I gave 2 pints away to friends before I cracked open one of my jars. (I've grumbled to myself nigh on 20 years for that brain fart.) I put Killer Salsa on the same pedestal as Killer Chocolate or Killer Homemade Grub made by a Girlfriend.......it's a Dan thang
    (Disclaimer: while some might take the above statement as sexist I hold that my feelings are High Praise to Womanhood.) SSTIYPASIRant off.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Haven’t had it in a while but used to have jalapenos and coffee after a night of drinking many, many years ago.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links