That ONE Restaurant in Your Area That You Love.....

This is a discussion on That ONE Restaurant in Your Area That You Love..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm sitting here typing this while eating carry-out from my favorite Chinese place on Earth: Foon Ying's on the East side of Indy. They opened ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: That ONE Restaurant in Your Area That You Love.....

That ONE Restaurant in Your Area That You Love.....

I'm sitting here typing this while eating carry-out from my favorite Chinese place on Earth: Foon Ying's on the East side of Indy. They opened in 1975 and have become a must for those on the East side at least a couple times a month. High-quality ingredients (I ordered Shrimp w/Garlic Sauce tonight. There are at least 12 Shrimp in this thing and they are as big as golf balls...) plus all vegetables are cut by hand on site. Egg rolls are made in house and the most unsusual you will ever find.

I used to go past their area 5 days a week on my way home from work but that was back in the day. Now....I hardly ever have a reason to go to the East side. But.....when I do, like I did tonight, she can always assume I'll be bringing home Foon Ying's. Indy isn't blessed with a lot of great restaurants. We have a steak house and a delicatessan which are always ranked in the Top 10 nationally. Beyond that, there's none that are "known" much outside of town. Foon Ying's should be. A mom & pop business but......wow.

So, what's that "go to" place in your area? It doesn't have to be famous, just the ONE on your list when you want your favorite. Tell us the name and what city/state....who knows, we may be there someday looking for a place to eat. What say you?

2. Remove Ads

Lee's on 14th in Moline, IL. The absolute best burger I have ever had or will likely ever have. It's a tiny little place and had driven right by it many times without even noticing it. Then I met a buddy there for lunch once on his recommendation and now I'm hooked. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Distinguished Member
    The Butterfly Club on highway X. Opened in 1924 still has all the charm and character from another era. Prices are great, food is great and they serve the best Grasshoppers and Brandy Alexanders in the upper Midwest.
    kapnketel likes this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

I love this place called Saigon Bowl. It's in a rough kind of area but it serves such excellent food at the right price that I can't help but love it. Not to mention I have a thing for oriental food
    HAGJewels likes this.
    The best way to stop incoming fire is accurate outgoing fire.

Bones and Butts on south james street in Ludington Michigan. awesome messy BBQ shop. also a hole in the wall kind of place. :)
    Bad thing is they close in the winter. And winter seems to go on and on and on sometimes.

Small Mexican restaurant in a strip mall in Nicholasville. Nothing to look at but authentic excellent food with a live band on Friday nites. 25 min drive but if I want Mexican thats where I head.

Being a foodie narrowing it to just one is impossible so I will stick with my two favorite BBQ joints locally....

Saint Louis Missouri

PM BBQ in Chesterfield, MO on Long Road at Edison is one of several favorites. PM BBQ - Smoked Slow & Ready To Go!

They are a LOT closer to me than Pappy's but in the same league (but a different style) of BBQ.
    Pappy's Smokehouse | St. Louis BBQ | Memphis Style BBQ | Saint Louis Barbeque | Welcome To Pappy's Smokehouse
    Pappy's opens at 11am... at 11:01 there is a line around the corner. When they sell out of food they close. Yes, this is the Pappy's that was on Man Versus Food.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

A little place called "The Anvil" in Ste. Genevieve, MO. Finest onion rings you will ever eat!
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Sichuan Bistro in Mason, OH. Authentic Family style Oriental food. It's a hole in the wall but when I passed it and saw families of orientals leaving in very nice cars, I had to try it. Any given night you go to eat in, you will probably be in the minority. It will be 70 to 80% oriental families dining in. All their food is fresh and delicious!

VIP Member
    Cafe Rakka is spitting distance to me and is the best Mediterranean place around. Everything is made fresh. The hummus bar is to die for - I like mine garlic with cilantro. Give me my big plate of shrimp jalfrezi loaded up with saffron rice, and I'm good. I don't go there nearly as much as I want. It's tiny, so seating is very limited, and you'll wait a while for the food.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Dolphin Bar and Shrimp House in Jensen Beach, FL. Wonderful Tiki-style place on the water with great food at expected prices. It's our "Special Occasion" place to eat. Originally started by Frances Langford, a WWII movie star who traveled with Bob Hope on his Pacific tours to entertain the troops. Lot of memorabilia and photos of all the celebs and presidents who visited. Very interesting history.

My wife and I have dropped $100 on our tab, with drinks (several) entrees and the one-and-only dessert I ever order when eating out. It's that good.

Check the site:

Welcome to the Dolphin Bar & Shrimp House!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Believe it or not, there's a great Thai resturant in little ole Martinsburg, WV called "Finn's". The Pad Thai and Lemon Grass soup are fabulous! Good spring rolls too...paper thin skins and very crispy.

Also..."The Blue White Grill" downtown. It's an old fashoned diner, started in the 30's or 40's. Their breakfasts are the best I've eaten anywhere and very reasonable prices. It's small, has a counter, booths lined up against the wall and just enough space to walk down the center. The waitresses are friendly and very good. It's one of those places that could be featured on The Food Network.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Bamboo Court in Colorado Springs, they have the BEST hot and sour soup I have ever found and all of their other food is good also. I have never taken anyone there that didn't love the food.

Not in my area, but Earls Greasy Eats in Arizona was pretty cool.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links