With friends like these...Soldier returns from war, finds his dog was given away

This is a discussion on With friends like these...Soldier returns from war, finds his dog was given away within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; With friends like this who needs enemies? Seriously? Soldier returns from war, finds his dog was given away or sold 15 hours ago by Judy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: With friends like these...Soldier returns from war, finds his dog was given away

With friends like these...Soldier returns from war, finds his dog was given away

With friends like this who needs enemies? Seriously?

Soldier returns from war, finds his dog was given away or sold
    15 hours ago
    by Judy Oehling
    Planning editor

Read more: Q13 FOX News - Seattle and Western Washington's source for breaking news, weather, and sports. Home of Washington?s Most Wanted and the Seattle Seahawks.

LAKEWOOD, Wash. — A Joint Base Lewis-McChord soldier was devastated when he returned home from deployment to find his dog was missing — and possibly sold on Craigslist.

soldier’s missing dog #1
    JBLM soldier Brandon Harker turns to social media to find his missing dog, believed to be sold during his deployment.

Brandon Harker returned last week after an 8-month deployment to Afghanistan. He was excited to see Oakley, his 2-year-old purebred yellow Labrador retriever.

Harker had asked a friend to take care of Oakley while he was deployed. When he contacted the friend to pick him up, he was told the dog had been given away.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

That is absolutely terrible! I hope he finds his dog..

Selling something that is not yours is theft. He should threaten having his 'friend' charged with a crime - that may assist the 'friend' in remembering who he sold the dog to.

I can't say enough bad things about someone that would sell a deployed soldier's dog out from under him. If he didn't want to take care of the dog, he shouldn't have taken it. If he changed his mind, it would have been easy to find someone to take care of it. How many responses do you think a "Take care of a deployed Soldier's dog" craigslist ad would get - you'd be inundated with takers.

VIP Member
    That is terrible.

On the other hand this soldier should know better. If you are deployable and have no dependents or family nearby you really have no business owning a pet.
    IndianaSig and NONAME762 like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    That is terrible.

On the other hand this soldier should know better. If you are deployable and have no dependents or family nearby you really have no business owning a pet.
    That's cold. I would think that someone with no dependents and no family would NEED a dog more than the rest of us.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    That's cold. I would think that someone with no dependents and no family would NEED a dog more than the rest of us.
    I served, active duty for 5 years. I was deployable for two and a half years of the 5 and I deployed twice to the Persian Gulf in that time. So I was gone for a total of one year and in ConUS for a total of a year and a half. I don't think owning a pet would be very responsible under those conditions do you?

It's not just the deployments though. You go through a whole cycle of workups and training before you deploy too. You are gone for a week here and two weeks there for six months or so before you deploy. It's absolutely inconceivable to me why this dude would own a dog, it's just not right for the animal.

Spouses get tired of deployment schedules and run off. Why would you put a pet through that type of ringer?

There are words that people use all the time when talking about the military, words like "sacrifice". This is one of the many things a deployable individual sacrifices for their country.

This soldier got hosed, but frankly, he should have known better.
    357and40 and IndianaSig like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    This "friend" is a disgusting piece of work. It makes me sick to think about. I hope this guy is able to find his dog and get him back. The guy is a jerk and just couldn't be bothered anymore. Nice.

I agree with Timmy in that having a pet while you're deployable isn't a good idea unless you have family that are willing to take them in for you. It's very problematic. I know this just from being a military spouse for 21 years and moving a lot, overseas included.

However, sometimes wanting a dog for companionship trumps the hard reality of life, especially if you're lonely and away from family and friends.
    shadowwalker and 357and40 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I would plead PTSD!!!! Seriously I hope finds his dog and new friends!!!!

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I have no doubt that any of my friends would have taken GREAT care of my dog while I was away and the dog would have been waiting for me when I got home. That is a very poor friend.

If you know of someone who maybe deployed... and who owns a pet... there are resources...

Many of them listed here

I hope the vet finds his pet.
    357and40 and myrkr like this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

And, for those who were deployed, but have no loyal pet to watch their back... .

Welcome to Soldier?s Best Friend | Soldier's Best Friend

Also:

Pets for Vets supports Veterans, helps shelter dogs
    myrkr likes this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Oakchas those are great resources!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Oakchas those are great resources!
    Thanks... I remembered seeing a show on tv about dogs going to vets with PTSD... But I couldn't find the resource specifically.. so Google did the work..

Meanwhile, speaking of vets... this seems like a good thing, too...

OH.NET: Home

Please note I am NOT affiliated with any of these sites.... be certain to do YOUR due diligence if you intend to help with any of these organizations
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Wouldn't be surprised if that "friend" came down with a severe case of broken bones and lacerations
    atctimmy and Black Knight like this.

Back in the stone ages when I was in the Navy Sea Bees I allowed my mother and sister to come live in my apartment while I was in home-port. My home-port periods lasted 6 months and then I was deployed overseas for 9 months. I also shared my home and heart with the smartest dog on the planet. When I deployed I continued to let Mom and sis stay in my apartment, that I continued to pay for, on the condition of caring for my dog. About half way through the deployment my sister called me and informed me that mom had my dog put to sleep! her excuse was that the dog had growled at her. I later found out she was mad at me for some minor thing and decided to punish me by killing my dog. To this day I no longer have a mother!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links