Dealing with a skunk and stinking dogs

This is a discussion on Dealing with a skunk and stinking dogs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We found a recipe on the Internet of peroxide, baking soda and Dawn that absolutely takes the stink off. However, we had to keep using ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By svgheartland
  • 2 Post By Gearhead

Thread: Dealing with a skunk and stinking dogs

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar

Dealing with a skunk and stinking dogs

We found a recipe on the Internet of peroxide, baking soda and Dawn that absolutely takes the stink off. However, we had to keep using it. Over the course of two days my Blue Tick got a minor dose from Mr. Skunk. My gentle, simple minded, one eyed Jack Russell got two full house loads. My 16 pound cat, Ford, he got the full treatment. Ford had to go to stoner-ville so we could scrub him down.

Investigation delivered the skunk hiding in a 40' culvert pipe. Shiny little eye balls staring into the flashlight. I smoked it out and was faced with a no-choice decision that I never had hoped to make. 20 paces and a 20 guage. Of course the final act of defiance from a skunk is what you would expect. Bagging that bugger was a nasty bit of work.

I wasn't home the night of the first assault. My wife hauled the dogs to the horse barn in a total state of craziness, I'm sure. At 9 PM, my Jack named Russell should be sleeping in the fuzzy blue blanket w John Deere tractors on it, happily on my lap. But no. Lacking tomato juice, which doesn't actually work anyway, my wife went about slathering Russell down with tomato paste. Add the wood shavings from the bedding in the stall getting stuck all over him and he must have been wondering what hell hole he'd stumbled through. Needless to say, they slept in the barn that night. We found the magic recipe the next day. And we found the skunk much later that day.

Ruby, the Blue Tick will have learned her lesson. Ford is smart and he won't repeat the process unless he liked the buzz he received for his scrubbing. But Russell....he'd go back Jack, and do it again.

I guess the skunk had been exercising a stand your ground policy.
    357and40 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

I was going to suggest having cats as they are (usually) smarter about skunks, but Ford proved me wrong. I guess he's just a redneck cat, LOL!! Maybe he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time...an innocent bystander.

Glad you were able to "dispatch" that lousy, no good skunk without TOO much grief...
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Summers Eve works good also. Our old mutt took a full blast from a skunk at about 2 feet distance. It was horrible. We remembered what a vet-student friend of ours told us about how well douche solution works for this, so while the wife kept the hose on the dog out in the yard, off to the store I went. Wasn't sure how many to buy, so I grabbed 6 boxes (which must have been a little startling to the cashier). The douche solution was very effective in neutralizing the skunk odor on contact, and the mutt slept in the house that night.

Always a good idea to have a douchebag around.
    Stoveman and NONAME762 like this.

VIP Member
    Oh, poor cat and dogs! I bet they'll be talking about this for years.

Good de-skunking tips. I hope I never need them but we live in the country and have a Boston Terrier, so it's a real possibility.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

That's what I used when my cat got sprayed. It lessened the smell, but bleached his fur.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Summers Eve works good also. Our old mutt took a full blast from a skunk at about 2 feet distance. It was horrible. We remembered what a vet-student friend of ours told us about how well douche solution works for this, so while the wife kept the hose on the dog out in the yard, off to the store I went. Wasn't sure how many to buy, so I grabbed 6 boxes (which must have been a little startling to the cashier). The douche solution was very effective in neutralizing the skunk odor on contact, and the mutt slept in the house that night.

Always a good idea to have a douchebag around.
    There's so much to work with in this post but, as any of it would likely be frowned upon by the friendly Mods in attendance, I shall refrain......

Links