Most beautiful spots you've ever been to -- pics, if you got 'em

Most beautiful spots you've ever been to -- pics, if you got 'em

This is a discussion on Most beautiful spots you've ever been to -- pics, if you got 'em within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Been to some of the most beautiful spots in the world, this life? Got any photos or descriptions of the place(s) you'd care to share? ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Most beautiful spots you've ever been to -- pics, if you got 'em

Question Most beautiful spots you've ever been to -- pics, if you got 'em

Been to some of the most beautiful spots in the world, this life? Got any photos or descriptions of the place(s) you'd care to share?

Places like ... Okavango in Africa, the Pantanal or Patagonia in S.America, certain "desert" islands in the S.Pacific/Med/Caribbean, or the top of the Eiger in Europe, or ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I was an over the road truck driver for 15 years. I have been to 49 states, Canada and Mexico. I have never been off the North American continent.

I love the Painted Desert and Arches National Monument. Many times, if I had the time, I would take the two lane roads instead of the interstate. I could spend the rest of my life exploring the US and never see everything I want to see, but I have crossed the Rockies on some skinny two lane roads in an 18 wheeler. That was exhilarating.

No pictures. My ex wife got everything and I got the truck.
    msgt/ret, blitzburgh and USM1976 like this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Kyoto, Japan

Beautiful, understated, very old. I have pictures but none on the computer and really, none that do justice to the beauty of Kyoto.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Minam Lake in the am 06 copy.jpgThis picture is from Minam Lake in the Eagle Cap Wilderness in northeastern Oregon. They call this area the Oregon Alps and this lake is at about 7,500 feet in elevation. It was so beautiful in the early morning that even my Aussie dog Gunner was in awe. We had to drive 15 miles on a one lane gravel road and then pack in with our horses for another 8-9 miles up what seemed to be an infinite number of switchbacks up the west fork of the Lostine River. It was around 2 years ago Labor Day and was beautiful weather during the day, 70-80 but down into the 20-30 range at night. There are several high mountain lakes in this area, we plan on going back there soon. I hope the picture comes through ok.
    missymay, rigel42 and chief8991 like this.

rigel42 and chief8991 like this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    Minam Lake in the am 06 copy.jpg

This picture is from Minam Lake in the Eagle Cap Wilderness in northeastern Oregon. They call this area the Oregon Alps and this lake is at about 7,500 feet in elevation. It was so beautiful in the early morning that even my Aussie dog Gunner was in awe.
    The Eagle Cap area is beautiful. The gorge area is rough, and many of the canyons have only one way out: absolutely vertical, endless switchbacks (as you say), if there's a way out at all. Glorious views, yes.

Have spent some time clambering about the cliffs in the Trinity Alps Wilderness, in far northern California. Lots of views like that, too. Very hard to get to, many of them, including some that are (or at least feel desperately like) straight up to the roof of the world. Made me despise the term "switchbacks," I can tell you. But then, I can't imagine how rough it would have been without them.

Reminds me a bit of some spots in the Olympics, in Washington. Don't have any photos, anymore, but here's roughly what can be seen from even the visitor's road up Hurricane Ridge ...

Attached Images
    rigel42 and chief8991 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

rigel42 likes this.

VIP Member
    Having had the honor and privilege of flying in the USAF plus being a truck driver for seven years after I retired I have been to so many places others dream of. One of my favorites is Pattaya Beach, Thailand. I was stationed at Korat but we would charter a bus to Pattaya on the weekends, some of the most beautiful SCUBA diving in the world. Actually Thailand is one of my favorite countries to be stationed in. Europe and England were fascinating for the history and just walking around seeing buildings hundreds of years old. Back in 1980 I took leave and traveled by motorcycle from Travis AFB, Ca to Virginia down to Florida then back to Travis. I started out in Old Sacramento at the statue of the Pony Express Rider then stayed on US 50 since it paralleled the original Pony Express trail, some of the way stations had been restored but many were just a foundation and plaque.

Don't have any pics but here are a couple of links:

Pattaya Beach Pattaya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It has changed a bit since 1974.

Pony Express Visit the historic Pony Express Trail.
    OldVet likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Isn't Nature awesome and glorious? I wasn't able to attach pictures from Maui or St. John from my iPad. I will do it from my computer later. Both places are incredible.

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    Returning from Survival School I decided to take old US 30 through the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon, a bit slower than I-84 but the scenery was oh so worth it.
    rigel42 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    There are a few truly beautiful places I've been to. June Lake in the Sierra Nevadas is quite special. But, for me, Phuket Thailand is the winner.

Attached Images
    Last edited by atctimmy; July 28th, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
    msgt/ret, rigel42, niks and 1 others like this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

2013-06-30 17.07.29.jpg 2013-06-30 12.51.32.jpg

I just got back from Islandmorada in the Florida Keys. This was the view from my villa. Great vacation!
    You can see the famous Alligator Reef light marker 4 miles off in the background in the second pix.

This not a picture thread?

Here's me at the Grand Canyon. Sorry. It's not a pretty picture.

Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

This is a photo I took from the lani (patio) off of our room over looking Napili bay in Maui.
    Heres a link to the resort where we stayed, I can't say enough about the place. Highly recommended if you can find the time, and few bux to blow.
    Napili Beach Resort | Napili Kai Beach Resort, Lahaina Maui
    We could see the sea turtles swimming by our room, we went in May and the temps were consistently in the upper 80s

My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

Big Sur and Los Padres National Forest, in CA. IIRC, the area is a couple hours south of Monterey.

There's a specific spot that takes a couple hours to hike to. I call it my own piece of heaven. It's where I proposed to my wife. I've got a picture of it somewhere on an external hard drive. I'll have to find it and post it here when I do.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links