Last night My wife saved my life

This is a discussion on Last night My wife saved my life within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Last night I was eating dinner on the deck with my family. I tried to swallow a bite of chicken and it didn't want to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Last night My wife saved my life

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar

Last night I was eating dinner on the deck with my family. I tried to swallow a bite of chicken and it didn't want to go down. I swallowed harder for a few seconds and then realized it was stuck. I tried to say something to my wife and I could make no noise. I couldn't inhale either. I did not remember the sign they taught us in CPR/life saving class with your hands around your neck, but my wife got the hint. She performed the Heimlich maneuver while my older daughter headed for the phone to dial 911. After a couple of thrusts, the piece of chicken moved up enough that my gag reflex kicked in and did the rest. No the food did not fly across the room like they show it on TV. I am so thankful that she was there, kept her cool and knew what to do. I beg everyone to learn basic life saving skills. The American Red Cross has classes. You never know when you might need them.

VIP Member
    Thank goodness she knew what to do! That must have been very scary. The Red Cross has good classes, but if you can't get to one, there are some good youtube videos on how to do the Heimlich maneuver.

Glad you're here to tell us about what happened last night!
    phreddy likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Nice. Clearly you don't have enough life insurance...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Nice. Clearly you don't have enough life insurance...
    Not true Brad. If he had more life insurance his wife might have excused herself to go get a drink and phreddy might be...well, you know...
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Never become worth more dead than alive. Or you just might be.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Glad you're okay! Buy her something nice.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Glad you're okay! Buy her something nice.
    Is some kind of etiquette dictating what you buy someone for this kind of thing?

I gave my wife and my daughters the hug of a lifetime last night.

I used the same training on my oldest daughter when she was about 18 months old (12 years ago). She had a chip from a nacho lunchable stuck. I used the child heimlich on her by laying her face-down on my leg and hitting her on the upper back until it came loose. I am not sure what is says about our eating habits that two people in our family needed the heilich.

VIP Member
    Glad your ok. We deal with this all the time with my son he has poor chewing and muscle and swallowing technic. It is a scary thing each and every time we go out or stay home for dinner .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Oh boy............get out the vacuum and mop.......you owe her big time.......glad your OK.......stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Is some kind of etiquette dictating what you buy someone for this kind of thing?

I gave my wife and my daughters the hug of a lifetime last night.
    I'll bet you did. A frightening experience, no doubt.

I was kind of half-joking about buying something, but honestly I don't know if there's any etiquette that covers such a situation. Of course it's not a "repayment" or anything like that, but can be just a nice thing to do, at least to my way of thinking.

Actually, given my wife's sense of humor, what I'd do if this happened to me is get her a custom shirt that says: "I saved my husband's life and all I got was this lousy t-shirt." She'd wear it all the time.
    phreddy and blitzburgh like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I'll bet you did. A frightening experience, no doubt.

I was kind of half-joking about buying something, but honestly I don't know if there's any etiquette that covers such a situation. Of course it's not a "repayment" or anything like that, but can be just a nice thing to do, at least to my way of thinking.

Actually, given my wife's sense of humor, what I'd do if this happened to me is get her a custom shirt that says: "I saved my husband's life and all I got was this lousy t-shirt." She'd wear it all the time.
    I was joking too.

I figured the answer would be "Whatever she wants."

The only thing I remebering thinking, once she got me to stand up was "Is she strong enough to do this? I outweigh her by a good 70 pounds and am a foot taller.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Oh boy............get out the vacuum and mop.......you owe her big time.......glad your OK.......stay safe.
    I did the dishes, once my legs stopped shaking. The dog got a lot of leftovers. No-one really was in the mood to eat after.

a simple skill everyone should have. Happy you are OK.
    sort of like carrying:

better to know it (Heimlich) and not use it than need it and not know how!
    phreddy likes this.

Glad your OK hang on to that wife I'd say she's a keeper!
    phreddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Not true Brad. If he had more life insurance his wife might have excused herself to go get a drink and phreddy might be...well, you know...
    That was his point. He must not have enough life insurance, because clearly his wife didn't think it was worth it to let him keep choking.
    Brad426 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links