Hit and run - jerks

This is a discussion on Hit and run - jerks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well I was with the wife on the way to church yesterday and stopped by Quik-Trip for a coke. I pulled in and passed between ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Brad426
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By Jeanlouise

Thread: Hit and run - jerks

Hit and run - jerks

Well I was with the wife on the way to church yesterday and stopped by Quik-Trip for a coke. I pulled in and passed between the pumps on my left and the building on my right, looking for a parking spot and they were all full. Noticed someone's reverse lights turn on in my rear-view, so figured I'd pull up and give them room to back out, then back in there as long as no one was impolite and stole it. Pulled forward a bit, put it in reverse and watched the rear-view as they backed out, turning in my direction so they could pull away the opposite direction. They kept coming, and coming and by the time I realized they had no idea I was there, there was someone in front of me and I couldn't move. *bump* Not too hard, but enough of a tap that I know they had to have felt it.

I sighed, thinking people really need to start paying attention, and prepared to exit my vehicle and probably dismiss them for lack of damage. Then they started speeding off. I thought "Oh no you don't", memorized the tag and had the police on the phone before I was in the parking spot. Relayed the tag, make, model and color then went to get my drinks, pulled over to the side so I wasn't holding a prime parking spot and waited. Officer pulled in and I got out with all my paperwork, offered it to him and told him I was armed, he waved it off and asked what happened. As I explained another officer pulled in and they chatted for a second about the driver. The second officer gave the name, the first thought he remembered someone by that name in the neighborhood they got for the address, and the second remembered working two collisions for her in one day not too long ago.

The second officer took off and the first and I took a look at the car and chatted. I told him I almost felt bad for calling, seeing as there was no damage I could see, but it was the principle of the thing. What if she'd hit a kid, you know? Officer asked if I wanted to file an official collision report, and I declined. He'd mentioned earlier that they were trying to contact her and I said I'd be satisfied if they simply contacted her and told her that she hit me, but I'm being cool about it and not pressing charges or filing insurance, and to be more careful in the future. Mostly I wanted the subtle "I got you."

We were a few minutes late for church, but I wasn't making a big deal about anything. I wasn't feeling spiteful, which is unusual. Interestingly enough, when I pulled into church, there was the car, a match for make, model, color and tag. I decided against confronting them, mostly because the wife and I had plenty of things to do after church.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

Maybe they REALLY needed church and didn't want to be late by dealing with an accident...
    tdave likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    We were a few minutes late for church, but I wasn't making a big deal about anything. I wasn't feeling spiteful, which is unusual. Interestingly enough, when I pulled into church, there was the car, a match for make, model, color and tag. I decided against confronting them, mostly because the wife and I had plenty of things to do after church.
    Good job, but if I saw the car I would have called the PD and let them know where it was. Tired of people not taking responsibility for their actions.
    Betty likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Good job, but if I saw the car I would have called the PD and let them know where it was. Tired of people not taking responsibility for their actions.
    True, I could have. Didn't think about that. They had her current address though, and the officer said when he tried to call and got voicemail the name given on the voicemail matched the tag.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    'Glad you reported them.

This reminds me of back when I was in college and late for church. (Mind you, this was a much younger and hot-headed version of me). There was a two-lane road with enough curves to make it impossible to pass, and a car in front of me doing half the speed limit. So, being the jerk I was, I road their bumper (you can see where this is going). Yup, right up into the church parking lot . It provided a wonderful opportunity for me to apologize.

VIP Member
    I hate hit and runs. In college somebody backed into my pickup and left a lovely white scrape. I had a bit of fun and designed a bunch of flyers and posted them up all over campus. A couple days later a rather meek person approached and fessed up. When I lived in a townhouse complex, I looked out my window and saw one neighbor pull out late at night, dash out the taillights of a neighbor's car, and drive off like nothing happened. It was a jarring collision and there was no way the driver couldn't pretend that didn't happen. I waited until the next morning, walked over and told the victim, and great timing - the culprit happened to pull back in, with evidence of his damage worked on.

The one that really took the cake was when I was my boyfriend at the time, in an '88 Accord. Car blows through a stop sign, spins us a good 360, we can't see in the other vehicle's tinted windows, and while he tries to start his car, the other one peels rubber. Never could get a plate #.

Hit and runs reveal much about a person's moral standards.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Car incidents bring out the worst in people it seems. Glad there wasn't any damage paaiyan. It would make me mad that they sped off knowing they had hit me.

One time we were hit from behind while sitting at a traffice light. It wasn't hard and didn't really do much damage except for a small dent in the fender. We did call the police because my husband always wants things on the record because you never know what might happen. He called USAA and told them what happened too.

The people that hit us were foreigners who didn't speak English very well and were from out of state (NC).After talking to the officer for a few minutes, my husband declined to press any kind of charges because he felt sorry for them and there wasn't any significant damage. The police officer took both our insurance information and we all went on our way.

Fast forward a couple of months and we get a notice from our insurance company that the other people are filing a claim against us! Because they weren't given a citation by the police it was considered a toss up. We disputed it but I think USAA paid anyway to make them go away and it didn't effect our rates.

So, no more "Mr Nice Guy" for us now.
    Pistology and NONAME762 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    You did the smart thing on both accounts. You called the police after it first happened and did not confront the person in church(which I am sure took a lot of restraint). The only thing I might have done is call the police back up to let them know where the car was.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Maybe they REALLY needed church and didn't want to be late by dealing with an accident...
    I'm sure she needed the church most of us do. She would be much closer to practicing what she learned there if she had taken responsibility. Some people miss the message like the thief who stole the Chaplain's copy of Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ."

Links