Qutting (Dip)

Qutting (Dip)

This is a discussion on Qutting (Dip) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am 30, I have been chewing since I was 17 so around 13-14 years. It was not really a regular thing until I got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Qutting (Dip)

Qutting (Dip)

I am 30, I have been chewing since I was 17 so around 13-14 years. It was not really a regular thing until I got out of college, but since then has been habitual. I love it, really do. That being said I am quitting.

As many of you know, this sucks!

Today is day one...My wife got me this gum and it is helping it seems, but it aint the same, but I guess that is the point. Hoping not to be too crazy with the wife and kids, but toddlers are already not my strong suit.

If any of y'all successfully quit and had any recommendations I am all ears. It is something I want to do, it is not being forced on me so I believe that is a big step. Still its tough.

Thanks as always.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    It's tough. You're probably used to a lot more nicotine than the average smoker.

I quit when my gums started to recede. I don't recommend my method; I switched to smoking, which was easier for me to quit since intentionally inhaling smoke never really appealed to me.

I still love the smell of a can of Copenhagen... Good luck, it can be done. It's all about how bad you want to quit.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    No real tips because I have never had to quit the habit but good luck to you with this. When you can try sunflower seeds. It will not replace the nicotine but it might keep you distracted.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

You made a wise choice. I'm sure you have what it takes to do it. I wish I could show you some 3-D images of CT scans I have done on a guy that "dipped". He was in his late 50's and started about when you did. He had a nice hole in his mandible (jaw) right were he placed his dip along with esophageal/tounge CANCER. Nice gift to leave your wife and kids. Quit NOW before it's to late.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Plain and simple, you're probably going to be pretty short for a while. If things start to bother you, go outside and take a break. Take a breather (those slow deep breaths do actually help).

The biggest habit to break is putting something in your mouth. Gum does help (any kind). Try not to go crazy on potato chips or snack food. A lot of people that quit smoking or dipping report gaining a little bit of weight from that. I ate dried banana chips til I couldn't stand them anymore.

Eventually it took me 3 weeks on the patch, which helped me quit the hand to mouth habit, and then 3 weeks cold turkey off the patch - that was the worst part. 6 terrible weeks, but I was addiction free. Been that way for a couple years now. Its much better this way, despite how much I loved dipping.

You can do it. Just don't slip up. Once you have even a small dip, it's back to square one.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    All the money you save you can spend on ammo

Ammo? What ammo? jk

Thanks all. I know it is a good thing to do, one of those, guess it would have been better to never start things. I don't worry about dwelling on the past. One day at a time...

The gum from my wife was due to the "oral" aspect of it. Longevity of life, especially due to wife and kids, is the why.
    Last edited by BigJon10125; July 29th, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I dipped for 28 years before I quit. What helped me was joining a quit smokeless tobacco forum. Bunch of guys going through the same thing you are. The other thing that helped was seeing pictures of guys with oral cancer. Scared the chit out of me. I wasn't about to go there. Its hard but you will do it.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    A most disgusting habit...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You really have to make up your mind that you want to quit or you won't be successful. I tried to quit smoking and dipping a few times because I thought I should....not because I wanted to. Lasted about a day or two each time. Once I decided I was ABSOLUTELY TIRED OF IT and set my mind to quitting....I quit. Quit both smoking and dipping cold turkey the same day. Been nearly 3 years now and I haven't done either since I quit. It really is a mind over matter thing and the first few days to a week are the worst. Once you hit a week you've made it over the hump. Just get rid of all your dip, don't buy anymore, and don't pick it up again! Good luck!
    BigJon10125 and pittypat21 like this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Get a laser training system. When the lil ones start to get on the nerves, head out to the garage, basement, den or what ever you have. Practice trigger control, sight picture, draw times, the works. It is a great relaxing technique. It is the reason my 3 year old still lives.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Harder than cigarettes. Good luck
    BigJon10125 likes this.

I quit a few years back it was not easy. I did it cold turkey for the most part had a few slip ups but made it through. There is a company that makes an all natural type dip that's made from mint that may help your urges for the time being. I was with an out of town friend this past weekend and just smelling his cope almost made me sick. However I will say this I still get cravings for it sometimes.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Almost 30 yrs ago I was age 30 my friend and I quit. (Him dipping me smoking) I think I had the easier time of it. Good luck and God bless.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

VIP Member
    You're stronger than that little can and what's in it, I know you are Jon!
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links