I've A Friend Abroad: What Do You Think Of All The Security Alerts?

This is a discussion on I've A Friend Abroad: What Do You Think Of All The Security Alerts? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a friend (American) who teaches English in Saudi Arabia, one of the countries we closed our embassy in. I'm worried about all these ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: I've A Friend Abroad: What Do You Think Of All The Security Alerts?

I have a friend (American) who teaches English in Saudi Arabia, one of the countries we closed our embassy in. I'm worried about all these security alerts, as well as for her father, 81, a life-long friend also and the effect of worry on him back here.

What do you think of all the security and embassy closings? Is the worrying for little?
    Last edited by detective; August 6th, 2013 at 04:23 AM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    I have a friend (American) who teaches English in Saudi Arabia, one of the countries we closed our embassy in. I'm worried about all these security alerts, as well as for her father, 81, a life-long friend also and the effect of worry on him.

What do you think of all the security and embassy closings? Is the worrying for little?
    I'm always worried. I don't dwell on it, but I remain aware of it.
    detective, Brad426, Badey and 1 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I try to avoid all embassies as a general rule.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I'm overseas in one of the 'Stan' countries.... Our embassy is remaining 'open' but on a very high alert. My parents are emailing me almost daily with 'updates' and questions. Yeah they're worried but things here a fairly quiet. So far anyways. My wife is being 'quiet' about it and my kids almost don't have a clue about any of this which is how SWMBO wants it.

I'm keeping a keen eye open and watching what's going on.... more-so in the areas where the 'closed' embassies are than here, but it's grating on the nerves just the same.
    Sister, detective and Dennis1209 like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Who knows what to think. With all the lies and subterfuge coming out of this administration it's impossible to assess anything objectively.

Stay safe goldshell!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    It means they have intelligence that something was planned to happened. Hopefully the closures and extra security will stop it before it happens. The problem with embassies is that they are not armed camps. If there is a real attack against any of them, they are going to be in trouble if the hosting country doesn't help out.

VIP Member
    My opinion is it’s a means to justify the Washington Cartels desire to continue the invasion of privacy by the NSA.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I don't know what to think... My gut says, after Ramadan, and with all the unrest in the sands, and northern Africa, trouble is fomenting.

The grandiose closing of embassies on weekends...meh... Drama.

As far as counting on help from host countries... I wouldn't... After all, the 911 bombers were from an ally's country, and likely supported in some way by their govt. There's a whole lot of playing the U.S. for fools from all our "trusted allies" throughout the region.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    goldshellback and detective like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member
    Of course there's a threat, there is always a threat. Worrying about it will not help, but IMO praying for your friend will. God is in control.

I'm thinking this is more stirring up of "new" things in order for us to move along and not mention Benghazi or the IRS or any of the other criminal events that we need to be paying attention too.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

It seems like a lot of trouble to restore the creditability of the NSA for spying on us. This replaces the Ron Paul's rants about the violations of the constitution. Even the NRA is out of the news while security waves hands and shouts. When the Snowden affair started up there were bets about how long before we had a crises that intelligence (an oxymoron) would solve. If there is an attack, we told you; if there isnít an attack, we prevented it. If there isnít an attack, what would it take to create one? Not much in the heat of summer with hungry people. My BS meter pegged out when I first heard this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

I'm more worried when the govt ISN'T warning us. Whatever they tell us is half-baked fabricated crap anyway, so I have to ask myself why they are telling me this at this moment in time. Chances are the time to actually be worried is when they're silent.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    It seems like a lot of trouble to restore the creditability of the NSA for spying on us. This replaces the Ron Paul's rants about the violations of the constitution. Even the NRA is out of the news while security waves hands and shouts. When the Snowden affair started up there were bets about how long before we had a crises that intelligence (an oxymoron) would solve. If there is an attack, we told you; if there isn’t an attack, we prevented it. If there isn’t an attack, what would it take to create one? Not much in the heat of summer with hungry people. My BS meter pegged out when I first heard this.
    ^^^ I'm in this camp ^^^

Fabrications and distractions driven by an agenda...if their lips are moving, they're lying. The real question is just why...and I think the above explains that.
    Ghost1958 and goldshellback like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    My guess is that this is a bunch of BS prior to the even larger BS claim that will be announced in the coming month (on or around September 11th) about the "foiled terrorist attacks". The "foiled terrorist attacks" that just so happen to be the direct result of domestic surveillance. I wouldn't be surprised if they claimed that there were also several "Homeland" locations that were targeted but were thankfully saved due to the collection of data and the use of drones.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I hope it's only a phony scandal, hope you people are safe.
    goldshellback and blitzburgh like this.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    WE the people never get the whole story!! Watch the right hand, wonder what the lefts up too.?
    detective likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links