Just turned down a job because I'm "paranoid" - Page 3

Just turned down a job because I'm "paranoid"

This is a discussion on Just turned down a job because I'm "paranoid" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Dude you did the right thing. I worked an a security guard for a mojor company in bend, Oregon. Not alot of crime here but ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just turned down a job because I'm "paranoid"

Dude you did the right thing. I worked an a security guard for a mojor company in bend, Oregon. Not alot of crime here but there are some rough people who like to come to the cities social events and start trouble. i was told I could carry nothing more than pepper spray! Well that did not sit well with me. The owner of the comany is a relative of mine (by marrige). I told her i was not comfortable with pepper spray being my only line of defence. Im a big guy and can handle my own in a fist fight, but 90% of all violent crime in this city involved a gun. I declined the position and settled for a patrol position instead, one where I would be in a car and or guarding property.

I know about the flack you are getting from the family. I got the same.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Well I say it's pretty clear how much they value their employees. No sense getting hurt for their money.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'll bet the uniform shirt is similar to the 'Target' logo shirts...

ret
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I bet they have a gun-buster sign on the door as well.......that'll stop any robbers in their tracks.
    +1 You guys beat me to these!
    Hmm, it sounds like the HR / hiring dept is full of

Don't be too hard or judgmental on your folks & friends, as my collegues have said, they just don't understand the right 'mindset'.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    but they told me this bank gets robbed quite often, and that I will be 100% safe when it gets robbed. Their great tactical advise was "don't wear anything on your belt, not even a cell phone or you will get shot". They even said no to body armor because I wouldn't need it.
    Um...

W...
    T...
    F...

You're smart for passing that job up. If they are preventing (inhibiting is more proper) you from doing your job effectively, then pass them up and read about them getting robbed in next week's Metro section.

Well I fail to see the point of a security guard that can't secure anything, not even his own safety. If your girlfriend, her family and friends think that you are paranoid just because of this, they are not right BUT if there are other reasons which lead them to that conclusion that wasn't in your story then who knows?
    I think its weird, sad and paranoid for people to walk around in their own home (their castle) always carrying a gun. But whatever...
    it still cracks me up that anyone would hire a security guard that is by all definitions impotent to defend anything

Quote Originally Posted by Hekkenschutze View Post
    I think its weird, sad and paranoid for people to walk around in their own home (their castle) always carrying a gun. But whatever...
    Down the street last week, there was a home invasion robbery. Could have been stopped (perhaps) had the owner been armed. Can't stop much with a simple "pretty please," these days. And in such cases, there aren't many alternatives to a firearm that could stop such an invasion robbery. It has its legitimate place. Tomayto, tomahto.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    And, the only person that understands why I didn't take that job, is my best friend, because him and all my other friends are in the right mindset when it comes to self defense. My girlfriend, my parents, they all think I'm retarded and they are mad at me because of what happened.
    Justin,
    Add me to the list of your "friends" because I'm with you on this.
    Your girlfriend and parents are the ones being stupid.
    Did they not get what you told them? That the people who would be hiringyou told you NOT TO WORRY ABOUT WHAT THE ROBBERS WILL DO TO YOU, IN A BANK THAT GETS ROBBED A LOT?!

People who love you would say, "They told you that the bank gets robbed a lot, and then urged you to be defenseless as your best bet for not getting harmed?!"

Frankly, I don't understand your girlfriend or parents. Even if you are flat on your a$$ broke, I would not blame you for not taking that job. You'd have to be an idiot or crazy.

And the people you spoke with should be charged for something, somehow, for insisting that working in a frequently-robbed bank is safe and that there's nothing to worry about.

It's pretty callous to say it, but for alot of these large business owners, your safety is "out of sight, out of mind." I'd probably be guilty of it too. I'm almost done with my business management degree at the University, and for the last year all that's been pounded into our heads is the finance.
    Does this decision help or hurt the company?
    How much will it cost?
    What are the side effects of the decision?
    does it hurt the bottom line?
    How can we cut costs?

It's no different then a major car manufacturer deciding whether or not to recall a certain car. They estimate the cost of recalling all the cars versus the cost and probability of the part failing. If the part failing is more likely to cost them, they will do the recall. It's a harsh reality, but many of the directors and owners are so detached from the business that they don't view their employees (who aren't even working directly under them) as anything more then game pieces. The guy in the biggest chair at the end of the table gets a couple sheets of paper with numbers each month. His advisors and vice presidents tell him which parts are making and losing money. They chat for a while and decide your fate without ever knowing who you are.
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

They said just the guard being there usually scares off a robbery attempt. Funny, because the first thing they told me was all the stories of how the security guard was in the bank while it was getting robbed.
    So, they're LIARS, telling you two contradictory stories, and hoping -- what, that you're too stupid to realize that they can't both be true?

Screw them. Hopefully those idiots will be in the bank the next time it's robbed, and the robbers start the whole, "We're gonna execute hostages" thing. That's what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    What mental path was taken by these people? An UN-ARMED guard is NOT a deterrent to a robber. What would be the guards job? It sounds like they don't want the guard to interfere in a robbery, just let it happen..........so what is the guards job?

Apparently the guard's job is to approach people to verify which ones are there to do business and which ones are there to rob the bank.

I mean, if they are supposed to approach the "hoodie-and-sunglasses type," and that guy does turn out to be a bank robber, it seems that the "guard" is supposed to just say, "Okay, just checking," and let the robbery proceed.

So the idea of having a guard in the bank is just a b.s. posturing thing, probably designed by some idiot bank lawyers to help them avoid being sued. But if this truth gets out, it could be trouble for them...

Seems to me an unarmed guard where robberies take place by armed men is either a hostage or dead.
    I'd find something else.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Hmmm, just the idea of telling your security guards not to carry protection (not even a cell phone), otherwise the'd get hurt by robbers just sounds strange to me. Are they paying for security or window dressing?

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Remember 'It's not parnoia if they are after you.'

A bank that continually gets robbed means that you would have been targetted. I wouldn't have worked there either.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hekkenschutze View Post
    BUT if there are other reasons which lead them to that conclusion that wasn't in your story then who knows?
    My gf is a youth pastor, and a pacifist. Her parents are pastors, ans huge pacifists, and her sister is in the asme boat as her. You have NO IDEA how hard it was for me to even get them to accept me and my Glocks lol. They are the kind of people that think the news is somethign that happens to other people, and such.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    My gf is a youth pastor, and a pacifist. Her parents are pastors, ans huge pacifists, and her sister is in the same boat as her.

They are the kind of people that think the news is something that happens to other people, and such.

I wish no harm on anyone, but sad will be the day they learn the cold hard truth.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links