Just turned down a job because I'm "paranoid"

This is a discussion on Just turned down a job because I'm "paranoid" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Justin My gf is a youth pastor, and a pacifist. Her parents are pastors, ans huge pacifists, and her sister is in ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Just turned down a job because I'm "paranoid"

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    My gf is a youth pastor, and a pacifist. Her parents are pastors, ans huge pacifists, and her sister is in the asme boat as her. You have NO IDEA how hard it was for me to even get them to accept me and my Glocks lol. They are the kind of people that think the news is somethign that happens to other people, and such.
    Well, I too am a man of the cloth, and youth pastor, I have been for quite some time now. I would lay my life on the line for any of "my kids", and I keep the necessary tools on hand to do so.

If you like I can supply you with some scripture to prove your position if you like. Unfortunately most people are not open to discussing things which they disagree with, but then again if she is honest with herself it just might help.

BTW, If some security guard gets killed at that bank, I would be the first one to come running to the poor guy's family and offer to testify in court that the bank would not allow you to wear body armor, etc etc. It might not fly but then again, it might just save somebody's life too. At the very least, I would be tempted to contact the guy who told you all that crap, and plant a big fat "I told you so" on him.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan View Post

If you like I can supply you with some scripture to prove your position if you like.
    "You can get further in life with a kind word and a gun, then just a kind word."

I think that's in the bible, I remembered thumbing through it once and coming across it.

Administrator
    I don't think the bible specifically mentions guns... maybe a sword or other implement of the time.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Since you have guns and a girlfriend, I'm assuming you already have a job (both are expensive to maintain). So your parents, girlfriend and her idiot friend would all rather have you making more money at the risk of dying?

You DO need to find another girlfriend. This type of behavior rarely if ever gets better. You are stuck with your parents, just like they are stuck with you. You don't get to pick your relatives, but you do get to pick jobs, friends and romantic interests.

You know, from a lawyer-dominated, take-no-risks twisted corporate viewpoint I can almost understand the no offensive weapons rule, but why on god's green earth could you not have your own cell phone or body armor??

Last but not least, you aren't paranoid, you've got guns, what do you have to be paranoid about? (to paraphrase a gun writer)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    So I had a job offer at PNC bank here in Pittsburgh. I went there for training last night and they told me it was an unarmed position. Not that I have a problem working unarmed (I'd prefre to be armed if possible) but they told me this bank gets robbed quite often, and that I will be 100% safe when it gets robbed. Their great tactical advise was "don't wear anything on your belt, not even a cell phone or you will get shot". They even said no to body armor because I wouldn't need it. After reading my formal resume off to them (tactical shooting classes, and marticl arts classes) they said I was "paranoid". And, the only person that understands why I didn't take that job, is my best friend, because him and all my other friends are in the right mindset when it comes to self defense. My girlfriend, my parents, they all think I'm retarded and they are mad at me because of what happened. They think it's better to work at a bank completely unarmed, with no body armor, for a paycheck.

your thoughts?
    My Thoughts? That was probably a good call. I also think that being two Pittsburghers we ought to consider shooting together some time.

I just got home form working a 15 hour shift at Channel 11 News. IT ROCKS! I love it there. My boss said he can help me get my Act 235, and he doesn;t care if I carry my gun at work (the company would flip out), but he said I can use it for "personal use" not company use. He also tried to get us Tazers at work, OC, and expandable batons, but the company turned it down (big suprise)

Jared, yeah, we can go shooting. Add me on one of your instant messengers:

SimplyDynamic40 on AIM and Yahoo.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Congradulations
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Meh, you're better off anyway.

I'd rather be without a paycheck than be with a paycheck and dead...

or perhaps even worse spending every day wondering if I was soon going to be dead.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

I am glad this turned out good for you.

You family does not need to understand every decision you make. You are an individual!

Your GF on the other hand needs to be able to wrap her head around the idea of personal safety being more important than a few $$ per hour. Doesn't she want you to come home every night???

I am sorry, but if I was to be hired, and they told me "look we get robbed regularly, but you don't need to protect anyone, or worry about being hurt. No you can't have a cell phone, or any weapons, but you have to walk up to anyone that we think is suspicious and ask them to 'do the right thing'." I would follow up the way you did. " Are you friggin crazy?"

Tell the sheepdog to look and act exactly like a sheep is one thing.... but to take his teeth and bark away to protect the sheep? Great way to keep your sheep alive!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links