Just turned down a job because I'm "paranoid"

This is a discussion on Just turned down a job because I'm "paranoid" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I had a job offer at PNC bank here in Pittsburgh. I went there for training last night and they told me it was ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just turned down a job because I'm "paranoid"

Just turned down a job because I'm "paranoid"

So I had a job offer at PNC bank here in Pittsburgh. I went there for training last night and they told me it was an unarmed position. Not that I have a problem working unarmed (I'd prefre to be armed if possible) but they told me this bank gets robbed quite often, and that I will be 100% safe when it gets robbed. Their great tactical advise was "don't wear anything on your belt, not even a cell phone or you will get shot". They even said no to body armor because I wouldn't need it. After reading my formal resume off to them (tactical shooting classes, and marticl arts classes) they said I was "paranoid". And, the only person that understands why I didn't take that job, is my best friend, because him and all my other friends are in the right mindset when it comes to self defense. My girlfriend, my parents, they all think I'm retarded and they are mad at me because of what happened. They think it's better to work at a bank completely unarmed, with no body armor, for a paycheck.

your thoughts?
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

2. Remove Ads

My girlfriend, my parents, they all think I'm retarded and they are mad at me because of what happened. They think it's better to work at a bank completely unarmed, with no body armor, for a paycheck.
    Your family members need a value adjustment. The foisting of guilt and anger on you because you used your brain is hardly supportable. In this modern "civilization" we've crafted for ourselves, though, if you don't play the game then you don't get fed. Still, it's not like that's the only job in town.

On the bank's attitude of disallowing you arms, armor ... they're in a high-risk business and are denying you the ability to protect yourself, or them. They're edicting protection via prayer. Hell, why have a "security" position anyway?

Kudos on having the foresight to see that job for what it was: something you need like another hole in your head (which might well have been the result, at some point, with all the disarming that bank seems to be keen on). Kudos.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    So I had a job offer at PNC bank
    but they told me this bank gets robbed quite often, and that I will be 100% safe when it gets robbed. Their great tactical advise was "don't wear anything on your belt, not even a cell phone or you will get shot". They even said no to body armor because I wouldn't need it.
    they said I was "paranoid".

Oh yeah, did I say

Good for you for sticking with your gut feelings, A paycheck does no one any good if it stops because you are no longer around to earn it. If there is no other job to be had, and kids to feed, then it's a harder call to make, but it's "your" butt on the line here, ask anyone who calls you a fool if they would trade with you, see what kind of reply you get to that.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Dude, you made the right call. Don't be mad at them in return for them being mad at you. They just don't know.

You may have been able to get away with CCW (don't tell, don't show, unless the SHTF) even though you were supposed to be "unarmed".

But if the SHTF they would probably have fired you for saving your life and the bank's money.

That bank has a really, really stupid attitude. Wouldn't even let you wear your OWN body armor?

Ugh.

Who needs it?

Not you.

I just have to wonder what they think a security guard is for!

You're right, they're wrong, end of story!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

They said I wan't even to stop a robbery by being a hero. I told them that I couldn't care less about the bank's insured money. I told them I would only defend myself. I don't have any kids to feed, or any outstanding bills, so I should be ok. They were telling me all t hese stories of banks getting robbed and the "guard" not getting hurt. I told them that if a person was robbing a bank, they were either really smart, or really stupid, and seeing that the person is actually robbing a bank, I'm gonn ahave to go with stupid. They told me I'd have to approach any suspicious characters ( the hoodie and sunglasses type) and politely ask them to remove the items. I wonder if they would also want me to ask to hold the suspicious character's gun for him too? Carrie (gf) is mad at me for some reason. I got the "Is this they way it's going to be for the rest of our lives" speech. I replied "Yes, this is how it will be for the rest of our lives if I get job offers at a bank and I'd have to be unarmed, I would turn that job down"
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    They said just the guard being there usually scares off a robbery attempt. Funny, because the first thing they told me was all the stories of how the security guard was in the bank while it was getting robbed.

VIP Member
    I have to agree with Spectre on this one.

What mental path was taken by these people? An UN-ARMED guard is NOT a deterrent to a robber. What would be the guards job? It sounds like they don't want the guard to interfere in a robbery, just let it happen..........so what is the guards job?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

It sounds like they don't want the guard to interfere in a robbery, just let it happen..........so what is the guards job?
    Armed guard = security.
    Unarmed guard = public relations.

Hm. They've misclassified the position! That's it. It's really a P.R. post.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    protection via prayer
    ccw9mm got that one right!!!

The bank's approach is ludicrous and what they said to you was equally so. As if a determined crook is gonna take much note of an unarmed security guy as a deterrant (he'll know he's unarmed if he cased the joint first) - but even so, that same ''security'' guy is right up front and center for a bullet if shooting starts!!!

Yep - their post is strictly PR
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Interesting train of thought. THEY tell you you're going to be 100% safe, and then expect YOU to bet your life on their concept!

I had better odds than that when I was on the Bomb Squad!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

JT
    To stop people from cutting in line at the teller windows.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

So after talking to the guy that put me at that job, and telling him that the only thing that's 100%, is that I'm not working in one of their banks. He then told me this: 94% of all bank robberies are from the bad guy passing the teller a note, or verbally telling the teller he has a gun, the other 6% are people that have a gun, or threaten to, and 2.5% of that 6% actually have guns. He then again reassured me I would be 100% safe. So basically, he said, there have been NO robberies by force, and no people hurt, or killed in any bank robbery in the history of the United States.

Then, my girlfriends b*tch roommate (and pacifist, who refused to be seen in public with me because I was concealed carrying) said: *yelling* they have rules for a reason, the reason you can't carry is because a security guard shot a bunch of kids, so it's unsafe for you to carry at work"

heh
    Last edited by JustinM; November 29th, 2006 at 01:47 PM.

Wow. I can't really blame you for not wanting in on that if you don't need it... Jeez what's wrong with some people?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links