4 year-old, dressed as Power Ranger, ends robbery

This is a discussion on 4 year-old, dressed as Power Ranger, ends robbery within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; LINK TO STORY DURHAM - The robber was holding a gun to 5-year-old Mary Long's head when a 3-foot-tall Mighty Morphin Power Ranger leapt into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 year-old, dressed as Power Ranger, ends robbery

VIP Member

4 year-old, dressed as Power Ranger, ends robbery

LINK TO STORY

DURHAM - The robber was holding a gun to 5-year-old Mary Long's head when a 3-foot-tall Mighty Morphin Power Ranger leapt into the room.

"Get away from my family," 4-year-old Stevie Long shouted, punctuating his screams with swipes of his plastic sword and hearty "yah, yahs."

The robber and his accomplice, who was waiting outside the apartment Friday night, fled with credit cards, jewelry, cash and other items that Stevie's mother, Jennifer Long, dumped from her purse.

"I scared the bad guys away," Stevie said Tuesday evening at the apartment at 901 Chalk Level Road in north Durham.

Two men had approached Jennifer Long's boyfriend and his son Friday night as they stood outside the apartments she helps manage, according to a police report. The strangers asked for pot, and then a cigarette, and as the son went to get one, both men pulled guns, police said.

One stayed with the boyfriend as the other forced the son back into the apartment, police said. Inside were Jennifer Long, a cousin, Stevie, Mary and two other children, police said.

They were forced on the floor. The robber pointed the gun at Mary and a 1-year-old girl named Sierra, said Stevie's uncle, Bernie Evans, 33, who lives above the Longs.

Enter Stevie.

"During the robbery, a ... boy snuck into his bedroom, dressed himself in a Power Ranger costume and armed himself with a plastic sword," police said. "The child then exited his room and approached the armed suspect, in an attempt to protect his family."

Relatives said the robber abandoned plans to take Stevie's mother to an ATM to withdraw cash when he saw Stevie.

"It tripped him out, and that's when they moved on," said Evans, who did not witness the incident. Jennifer Long declined to comment, saying her employers at the apartment complex would not allow it.

Stevie likes to think he cuts an intimidating figure in his red-and-black mask and foam suit that replicates the rippling muscles of the kiddie adventure show heroes. But Evans said the robber was more startled that Stevie was able to retreat to his bedroom and morph.

Fantasy, reality

Though the robbers wore no masks, victims could only give vague descriptions of them. Police have no suspects in this or the other 10 armed robberies reported in Durham in the past six days, said Kammie Michael, a spokeswoman.

Evans said family members are struggling to help their children understand their ordeal. A counselor said Stevie needs to improve his distinction between fantasy and reality, said Heather Evans, Stevie's aunt.

"He fully believed he morphed," she said.

Mary grasps her danger better. She stayed home from school Monday and Tuesday.

"My doctor said I get a day off," she said.

"My mommy said I was crying in my sleep because I had bad dreams."
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

Hmm. Interesting story, though the first thing that comes to my mind is shouldn't the kid have called 9-1-1 if he was able to sneak away? Perhaps a 4 year old doesn't have that mindset yet... at least it turned out well!

Lead Moderator
    Lucky kid and family!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lead Moderator
    Very lucky family.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lucky and Plucky!
    I want this kid on my side in ANY fight!
    WOW!
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Some part of me wants to laugh, but I can't... Holy moley.

Put that kid in a good Martial Arts class and he will be a good back up.

My daughter is 4 going on 5 and she would have probubly done the same thing. This story just brought into light how bad I need to teach my daughter to call 911 in case of an emergency. Its hard sometimes to get through to a 4 year old. My wife knows where the guns are and how to use them but if she were unable to get to them, i would want my daughter to be as aware and ready for something like that as possible.

Good find thanks for sharing!!
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    That is a future member of combatcarry. Would have been better to call 911, but I guess that worked out for the best!!!

I would have loved to have seen the expression on the robber's face when the kid came out slashing. hahaha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

It's May Be Cute...

but the BG's could have been P/O'ed...the little guy should have been taught to call 911...

Hindsight is always 20/20...OMO...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Put that kid in a good Martial Arts class and he will be a good back up.
    And start a fund to get him a Life NRA membership! He's already got the heart of a hero, it seems. Destined for CCW, that one.

Of course, it's a little troubling to consider the environment in which he's growing up. It seems likely he's being raised by the damned T.V. And if he really believed that he'd "morphed"?

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    At least he tried something.

He should be taught to dial 911, and about firearms and danger... but not that what he did was WRONG, just that there are other things that would have been BETTER.

His instinct was right, it just needs some fine-tuning.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Even a 4yr old knows right from wrong.

Of course, he'll need to learn that a colored cape doesn't ward off adult amusements (bullets). Hindsight: 911 (when you're 4yrs old).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    He is an extremely lucky young man.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Shame the cops didn’t catch the guys, it would have been embarrassing for them to describe to the other inmates why their robbery failed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links