A call to arms for all of us.....

This is a discussion on A call to arms for all of us..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I ask that anyone who has the time to take a few minutes and help me in stopping Urban Outfitters from disgracing our nations heros. ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Taurahe
  • 1 Post By DonPablo_VA
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise

Thread: A call to arms for all of us.....

A call to arms for all of us.....

I ask that anyone who has the time to take a few minutes and help me in stopping Urban Outfitters from disgracing our nations heros. Urban Outfitters is selling clothing emblazoned with the Rangers Scroll, and I for one am not OK with this. Many have sacrificed everything to wear that scroll, and it is much more than just a decoration. If you feel the same way, I encourage you to email the company and POLITELY ask they stop selling it.

Urban Outfitters Decides The Ranger Scroll Is A Fashion Accessory | Guardian Of Valor

I just did so myself, and here is what I wrote:

In 1676, the first Ranger company was commisioned during the King Philips war. Rangers have served in almost every major conflict. from the war of 1812 to the current conflicts in the middle east.

There are currently six active battalions of rangers, and have served in korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Iraq, Afghanistan, and other conflicts.

The Rangers motto "Rangers Lead the way !", was born on Omaha beach during the invasion of Normandy in WW2.

The ranger creed emphasizes what many have given and lost in order to claim the title of ranger. These men have sacrificed everything including their lives, to uphold the corps values of being a Ranger :

Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of my Ranger Regiment.

Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster, and fight harder than any other soldier.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong, and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one hundred percent and then some.

Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well trained soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress, and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission, though I be the lone survivor.

You will note the first letter of each word spells ranger...kinda clever huh.

By now you may be asking what this has to do with the price of tea in china... well please allow me to explain.

Urban outfitters is selling clothing emblazoned with the Ranger scroll. This is not acceptable. The Ranger scroll is a military device that is earned through blood, sweat, and tears. It is a symbol of the men and women who have died for this country, who have sacrificed everything so we may remain free.

It has never been, and never will be, a mediocre ornament for teens, a symbol of "cool", or just a patch. By selling it as such, you are disgracing the very foundation on which this country was built.... the blood sweat and tears of the men and women who have given their lives to make it this way.

As a veteran of the conflict in Iraq, and on behalf of veterans past, future, and present, I ask that you stop selling your ranger scroll decoration. While it may be just a patch to many, to many more it is a symbol of honor, pride and sacrifice, and means more than you or any others can imagine.

I want to thank you for your time and consideration, and I pray you will honor the sacrifice of Army Rangers and veterans alike and remove the ranger scroll from your clothing line.

Sincerely,
    Brandon Knapp
    United States Army
    2001-2007
    Iraq Veteran
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

Will do. On a much less serious note, I personally don't care for the fact that 'dog tags' have now become a fashion item. Perhaps if people actually reflected on what dog tags are used for they'd think twice....or maybe not
    Jeanlouise likes this.

VIP Member
    Looks like the letter writing has made an impact. In that link, at the bottom, there's an update. Seems as if they won't be using the scroll afterall.
    detective likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

OP has a good point, I sent a note.
    Myself, being an 'old' Marine who served a tour in 'Nam in many free-fire combat zones (where many of us did not return).... I get just a tad offended seeing 15-16 year olds wearing USMC cap & T-Shirts.

Many look like libtards who'd mess their pants at the sound of a slamming door.
    It dishonors those who fought in one of the bloodiest efforts of the U.S., and especially those who did not return.

i have seen several military "items" as fashion items. one time I saw a lot of jackets being sold with the air force insignia stripes I think because they looked cool. I was kind of pissed because I believe stuff like that should only be worn by those who earned it. I also believe that stuff like that should be amended to the stolen valor act and laws should be passed opening fashion designers, clothing store and movies who depict things wrongly to lawsuits. if you want to make a movie depicting military and etc, do you homework and look at the rules and regulations to get ranks, grooming and things of that sort right.

it may not sound like a big deal for those who never served, but those who did will understand where I am coming from.

Links