CA Abruptly Drops Plan to Implant RFID Chips in Driverís Licenses

This is a discussion on CA Abruptly Drops Plan to Implant RFID Chips in Driverís Licenses within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The legislation, S.B. 397, was put on hold by the state Assembly Appropriations Committee, despite it having been approved by the California Senate, where it ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By knight65
  • 1 Post By knight65
  • 2 Post By tdave

Thread: CA Abruptly Drops Plan to Implant RFID Chips in Driverís Licenses

The legislation, S.B. 397, was put on hold by the state Assembly Appropriations Committee, despite it having been approved by the California Senate, where it likely will be re-introduced in the coming months. Had the measure passed, it would have transformed the Golden Stateís standard form of ID into one of the most sophisticated identification documents in the country, mirroring the four other states that have embraced the spy-friendly technology.
    Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington have already begun embedding drivers licenses with the tiny transceivers, and linking them to a national database ó complete with head shots ó controlled by the Department of Homeland Security. The enhanced cards can be used to re-enter the U.S. at a land border without a passport.
    I had no idea any states had already begun doing this, let alone four of them. I find this to be absolutely terrifying. This portion of the article pretty much sums up my concerns:

ďAn individual that does not understand the privacy and security risks of an Enhanced Driverís License (EDL) might think, ĎWhy not get an one so that I can use it to drive and also cross the border?í It seems like common sense,Ē said Nicole Ozer, an American Civil Liberties Union lawyer. ďBut the cost to privacy and security far outweighs any benefits. If you carry one of these licenses in your wallet or purse, you can be tracked and stalked without your knowledge or consent.Ē
    California Abruptly Drops Plan to Implant RFID Chips in Driver's Licenses | Threat Level | Wired.com

I think it's safe to assume that the majority of people always have their driver's license on them (in wallet, purse, etc.) which would mean any and everywhere we go could be monitored and kept track of. I don't see how such a gross invasion of privacy by the government could be legal? (Yeah, I know in theory one could be tracked just the same through their cellphone, etc.)

Are there any members here from the four states who happen to have one of these or know anybody who does? If so, would you be able to tell more about them and how exactly they're used in your area? I find this to be not only troubling but just insane.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

How do I get out of this movie?

VIP Member
    Wow! I didn't know that either!

No thanks, showing my passport when I go across the border (which I do approx, once every 4 or 5 years when I go to Canada) hasn't been a problem in the past. Vs the ability to track my every move, every moment of the day. Not much of a choice.

We're racing towards 1984 at an alarming speed. This is NOT good.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Nothing to be afraid of kids, this is for our "protection". The DHS has everything under CONTROLL!

I'm rather surprised CA didn't drink this Koolaid. You'd think they would have been one of the first to adopt this sort of thing!
    blitzburgh likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by knight65 View Post
    Nothing to be afraid of kids, this is for our "protection". The DHS has everything under CONTROLL!

I'm rather surprised CA didn't drink this Koolaid. You'd think they would have been one of the first to adopt this sort of thing!
    It will probably come back even stronger.

The legislation, S.B. 397, was put on hold by the state Assembly Appropriations Committee, despite it having been approved by the California Senate, where it likely will be re-introduced in the coming months.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

You're right Jeanlouise. They're probably trying to figure out how to just put the microchip under the flesh of every Californian!!!
    Jeanlouise likes this.

If they can put the chip in at birth it will be "For the children"
    knight65 and Jeanlouise like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I had no idea any states had already begun doing this, let alone four of them. I find this to be absolutely terrifying. This portion of the article pretty much sums up my concerns:

California Abruptly Drops Plan to Implant RFID Chips in Driver's Licenses | Threat Level | Wired.com

I think it's safe to assume that the majority of people always have their driver's license on them (in wallet, purse, etc.) which would mean any and everywhere we go could be monitored and kept track of. I don't see how such a gross invasion of privacy by the government could be legal? (Yeah, I know in theory one could be tracked just the same through their cellphone, etc.)

Are there any members here from the four states who happen to have one of these or know anybody who does? If so, would you be able to tell more about them and how exactly they're used in your area? I find this to be not only troubling but just insane.
    I renewed my license last year in Dec., on the back it says it does not have a RFID in it. I wonder when they will start...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    If they can put the chip in at birth it will be "For the children"
    On the plus side this should be covered by Obamacare!

Quote Originally Posted by knight65 View Post

That's because the chip isn't inside your body. If it's only in the DL, you can't be tracked if you leave your wallet at home.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Once they chip us, it's "game over". You and everything you used to own is now at their discretion.

Distinguished Member
    There must be a solution for this Microwave for one minute or a shield that you can carry your license in etc. I don't know about people but we started using the technology on containers and shipping boxes and it is scary how many readers there are in the US alread out on the freeway system etc.

I am not for this at all.

Links