Received my final warning about smoking

This is a discussion on Received my final warning about smoking within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I promise to stop being an evangelist after this post..... About a month ago I chunked the last of the Camel Lights in the trash ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 7 Post By svgheartland
  • 2 Post By CanuckQue

Thread: Received my final warning about smoking

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar

Received my final warning about smoking

I promise to stop being an evangelist after this post..... About a month ago I chunked the last of the Camel Lights in the trash and I switched to e cigarettes. My only thoughts lately were how and when to begin reducing the nicotine levels.

Fast forward to this past Monday. Half way through my first cup of coffee, the left side of my face went numb. Then my left arm....then something not right about my leg. The doc says go to the ER and so my wife hauled me to town. I told my her how impressed I was with the service I was receiving and she says "yeah, your chart is marked stat and your BP was 190/116". Oh.

By Tuesday night they cut me loose. All the tests, and there were many, say no damage was done thank God. I see the doc later this morning and I expect there are some life changes coming.

But this post isn't about me, it's about you. If you're on the fence about smoking, get your *ss on the right side of that fence and don't wait. I'm not saying that my chosen course of action is the right one but do something, even if it's not completely right. My head is still reeling over the past few days. You don't want to go down that path. Living, and living intact, is a really good deal. I've got a Wyoming trip coming at the end of the month for mule deer and the tractor needs work. My son's motorcycle is disassembled in the barn and he needs help (I'd like to think). My wife works hard on this place but I think she needs my help from time to time. My point, we ALL have a list like this. We shouldn't walk away from that list, only half completed.

I'll shut up now.
    warbirds, darbo, 031131 and 4 others like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

I'm glad to hear that no damage was done. My father passed away last November as a direct result from smoking, and you are correct. His list was never completed and he missed out on a lot of things he had really wanted to do, and it was really hard for everyone. I am so glad that you are in the process of quitting, it means so much to the people that care about you. I hope your life only gets better from here.

Stay Healthy!

Distinguished Member
    I'm very, very glad you're ok. That was a close one.

You've already taken the huge step that will prevent anything like this happening again. Now you'll be in for the Healthy Eating lecture. Oh, and the Exercise one too.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    There is something terrifying when one side of your body quits working, I still have some residual effects almost 20 years later. I am glad you do not have any lasting effects and good luck on the quitting, been 1- years for me.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    It's good it turned out the way it did and there was no damage.

I tried smoking once in high school .I didn't like it.After i thought about it,pouring smoke into my lungs just seemed to be a really stupid thing to try.That's one thing i won't allow in my house,nasty ciggs.

Glad your OK. If your BP was that high you and your Doc might want to adjust your meds. (Mine and I are doing that now.) I had BP that high after receiving an exposure during outside the hospital CPR. It creates concern.

This is especially relevant to those that think of themselves as 'preppers'. Honestly, your risk of long-term disability is vastly* higher from poor lifestyle choices than any combination of bad guys.

*Should I bold it? vastly
    Sister and Jeanlouise like this.
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    OP, you dodged a bullet, don't try to dodge a second one. Get off the E-Cigs next. It sounds like you need to make some lifestyle changes as I am being forced to do (weight issue). It ain't easy, but it has to be done. Do it for the great-grandkids!

Edit: Both my M-in-law and B-in-L have had near-fatal heart attacks (more than one each) and have yet to give up chain smoking the cigs. Told both of them not to call me when they're invalids who need care.
    Last edited by OldVet; September 5th, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    My parents, who are in their 70s and life long users just received their wake up call as my dad has to have a heart valve replacement soon and he was told that unless he quits it is a no-go.

I can honestly say that I don't understand why young people these days would choose to take up the practice. It seems to run in social circles, especially in certain demographics (typically those who can least afford it) and remain at a constant percentage of the population. I honestly don't get it.

Edit: follow up to
    It sounds like you need to make some lifestyle changes as I am being forced to do (weight issue)
    Same here. In fact, after fighting the issue for all of our adult lives, my wife and I both have decided to undergo weight loss surgery; several medical types told us that given our history and past attempts to lose weight (which only had the permanent effect of making my thyroid go defunct) this would probably be the only realistic way we can achieve success. We have the last pre-op appointment on Monday where we talk to the surgeon and set the date.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I was at half a pack a day for two years and found the nerve to quit cold turkey. Still have the urge to buy a pack everyone once in a while, but don't.

Quitting chewing tobacco has proven much more difficult.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Distinguished Member
    Congratulations on your decision to quit! After smoking heavy 1-2 packs a day for 25 years I've been free for eleven and a half years.

When folks say "you will always want one after you quit" I say hog wash! It did take a year before I was completely over them but dang glad it didn't take the 25 years I smoked to be completely over them. Don't let that year time scare you, everyone is different and each day/month it got easier. It took my Dad a quadruple by-pass to quit and it is written on one of the causes on my brothers death certificate (they should have had a place for incompetent doctors too..grrrr).

I was on a quit smoking site years ago and sponsored many with their quit. Please feel free to PM if I can help, I'd love too!

Here is a site that many of us found valuable to quitting, not just pic's but real stories and real help in what works and what doesn't.

WhyQuit - #1 cold turkey quit smoking site: 190 how to stop videos

Edited to add that this particular story really was the turning stone that woke me and a few others up! http://whyquit.com/whyquit/BryanLeeCurtis.html
    GOA Member
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

VIP Member
    Preach it, Brother, even though I am sitting the choir. I haven't had a cigarette in over eight years, and am still suffering its adverse effects with my blood pressure.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Preach it, Brother,
    I agree. I try to stay out of these threads because I have never had to quit something like this, but my grandfather passed away at least 10 years earlier than he should have based on his siblings' ages. He survived being hit by a Japanese mortar, his ship sinking, and treading water with one arm until he was rescued, but he died in a hospital bed drowning in his own lung fluid from lung cancer, congestive heart failure and emphysema. I don't want that to happen to anyone else.
    Last edited by phreddy; September 5th, 2013 at 04:03 PM.

VIP Member
    SVG, glad to hear you came out of this episode intact. You sound like you have the right mindset to succeed.
    I've never been smoker but I've seen way too many friends and family suffer from the addiction.
    My Father-in-law recently had a kidney removed. His veins were so bad from smoking for years they had trouble putting in IVs, including a central line (thats in the neck for those that don't know). That was not good, and it was a good wakeup call for him. I just hope it wasn't too late. My son and is other grandson are his motivation now.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    That was a good post OP
    Nice insight

Links