Cop shoots running kid....

This is a discussion on Cop shoots running kid.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Is this profiling? Is this racial? Will we hear any more about it? Why? Kid shot was playing hooky.. (truant): http://m.upi.com/story/UPI-79821378391832/?fms=1 Yeah, I got tapatalk, ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By halem1
  • 1 Post By packinnova
  • 2 Post By patri0t
  • 1 Post By Secret Spuk

Thread: Cop shoots running kid....

Is this profiling? Is this racial?

Will we hear any more about it?

Why?

Kid shot was playing hooky.. (truant):

http://m.upi.com/story/UPI-79821378391832/?fms=1

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Administrator
    The aunt sums it up nicely
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yes, she does.

I do find some similarities with another, recent case, somewhat striking.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

"unintentional misfire"....as opposed to an intentional misfire?
    Sister, Oldpsufan and msgt/ret like this.

No matter what not good

Not really. That's almost the same kind of logic used to blame rape victims for being raped after leaving a bar or something. Truancy... What a crock of bull. Another bullpuck law that shouldn't be on the books. As if there's somehow some legitimate, moral argument as to why we, anyone other than the parents, can say... You must go to this place at this time and remain their all day...

Edited to add: Was what he did(ie skipping school and running from cops) smart? Nope. Will he regret it? Yep. Should he be legally required to be in school...nope. Should he have been shot, can't say without any further confirmation from the LEO's, although by their own admission it seems it was an ND. Stress happens when you expect everyone to be gunning for you, so I can't completely fault the officer on it, but still...
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

"....called the shooting Tuesday an "unintentional misfire,"

In 40 years of LE, I was always told there is no such thing as an "Unintentional or Accidental Discharge". PERIOD At best, it would be a "Negligent Discharge".
    LEOs are held to a "Higher Standard", due to their position, training and power.
    If you shoot someone, you are Immediately suspended pending criminal charges. SOP Nationwide.

A LEO cannot shoot someone and use the "OOPS DEFENSE". If it was a bad shoot, he does time, just like anyone else.

Also, the Dept will be sued... and Lose (Chief is trying to cover) and the 'soon-to-be' ex-LEO will be sued in Civil Court.

This is NOT a Police State, yet.
    Oldpsufan and manolito like this.

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    "....called the shooting Tuesday an "unintentional misfire,"

In 40 years of LE, I was always told there is no such thing as an "Unintentional or Accidental Discharge". PERIOD At best, it would be a "Negligent Discharge".
    LEOs are held to a "Higher Standard", due to their position, training and power.
    If you shoot someone, you are Immediately suspended pending criminal charges. SOP Nationwide.

A LEO cannot shoot someone and use the "OOPS DEFENSE". If it was a bad shoot, he does time, just like anyone else.

Also, the Dept will be sued... and Lose (Chief is trying to cover) and the 'soon-to-be' ex-LEO will be sued in Civil Court.

This is NOT a Police State, yet.
    While I thank you for your service to the community as a police officer for so many years... I have to dosagree on a few points. There is such a thing as an accidental discharge. Just as there are negligent discharges. There is an oops defense/explination. It happens. My opinion is this isnt the case here though. It kind of sounds to me like a reasonable case of mistaken identity, with excessive force used.

Police officers involved in official shootings are NOT toutinely suspended pending criminal charges. Most often the term "SUSPENDED WITH PAY" is used to molify the public, and the media. It's actually not a suspension. It's a way to remove the officer from the streets pending an investigation of the shooting. It allows the department to investigate if the shooting is within the law, and within department policy. This is usually concluded within hours. The department also may recomend further traning if they decide the officer needs it. The department will probably have the officer sit for a psychological review before returning him to full duty. Some departments refer to this as limited duty as opposed to suspended without pay, because of the negative connotation of suspension. The Officer never loose his police powers, never loose his ability to carry a firearm, the officer never surrenders his creds.

Unless there is an obvious violation of law, or department policy, the department will close out both investgations. All police shootings as with all civilian shootings are subject to judicial review. This may take the form of a grand jury, a coronors jury, a judicial hearing, or the state prosicutor may decide that no further action need be taken. This may take from weeks to months.... even years. If deemed in violation of policy, or the law the officer is usually suspended, or put on a modified assignment where his firearms are removed, and he loose his police powers. Usually put to to desk work. (AKA the rubber gun squad)
    msgt/ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    While I thank you for your service to the community as a police officer for so many years... I have to dosagree on a few points. There is such a thing as an accidental discharge. Just as there are negligent discharges. There is an oops defense/explination. It happens. My opinion is this isnt the case here though. It kind of sounds to me like a reasonable case of mistaken identity, with excessive force used.

Police officers involved in official shootings are NOT toutinely suspended pending criminal charges. Most often the term "SUSPENDED WITH PAY" is used to molify the public, and the media. It's actually not a suspension. It's a way to remove the officer from the streets pending an investigation of the shooting. It allows the department to investigate if the shooting is within the law, and within department policy. This is usually concluded within hours. The department also may recomend further traning if they decide the officer needs it. The department will probably have the officer sit for a psychological review before returning him to full duty. Some departments refer to this as limited duty as opposed to suspended without pay, because of the negative connotation of suspension. The Officer never loose his police powers, never loose his ability to carry a firearm, the officer never surrenders his creds.

Unless there is an obvious violation of law, or department policy, the department will close out both investgations. All police shootings as with all civilian shootings are subject to judicial review. This may take the form of a grand jury, a coronors jury, a judicial hearing, or the state prosicutor may decide that no further action need be taken. This may take from weeks to months.... even years. If deemed in violation of policy, or the law the officer is usually suspended, or put on a modified assignment where his firearms are removed, and he loose his police powers. Usually put to to desk work. (AKA the rubber gun squad)
    This is what I surmised.

However, while I don't believe the LEO should be held to a higher standard than the civilian population, the converse should be true as well; they should not be held to a lesser standard than the population at large.

For all we know in this shooting, the officer may be "of color" as well the truant. So, it's probably not "racial" (although the Rev. Mr. Jackson hisownself has said he is more concerned around a group of his own race at night than those of another).

The truant claims he had his hands up. The officer's gun discharged, hitting the truant in the forearm side of the elbow, and exiting the triceps area of the elbow, seems consistent with hands partially raised (according to the video).

According to the video, the truant was found hiding behind a shed. The K9 may have found him. The officers gave chase. If the officer that shot the lad came around the corner, discovered him, was startled, and pulled the trigger; it's understandable. That doesn't make it acceptable.

While operating under the "color of law," IMO only, there have been too many NDs, too much collateral damage, and even some "friendly fire" incidents that apparently go completely un-disciplined. To say nothing about mistaken no knock warrants, etc.

I don't have a lack of respect for LEO, I just think the blue suit gives a bit too much leeway.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Sponsored Links