Better REALLY WATCH Your Words Online Now: New Revelation About NSA:

This is a discussion on Better REALLY WATCH Your Words Online Now: New Revelation About NSA: within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The internet is becoming so full of holes that I hesitate to put even my name down on anything. AND: With the revelation in today's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Better REALLY WATCH Your Words Online Now: New Revelation About NSA:

The internet is becoming so full of holes that I hesitate to put even my name down on anything.

AND: With the revelation in today's NY Times (Lead front-page story) that the NSA has been for years in secret developing successfully and putting into practice secretly: code-breaking knowledge of Encrypted sites (like your Bank Account if they broke that one) or medical records or any common Encryption programs people or companies use to protect their general privacy in web-browsing and email communication - as well of course as that of Terrorists and Unfriendly (and FRIENDLY) governments - well, just like Communist East Germany in the 60s - our Government's Eyes are impossible to block out.

"The agency has circumvented or cracked much of the encryption, or digital scrambling, that guards global commerce and banking systems, protects sensitive data like trade secrets and medical records, and automatically secures the e-mails, Web searches, Internet chats and phone calls of Americans and others around the world, the documents show."
    (NY TIMES)

I just began using one last night (an encryption program). Might as well throw it out, and it was advertised as strong enough to even keep out the NSA. Ha! Both myself and the encryption company should have known better... We're little-folks to that Big Eye in the sky. (Sorry, some of this is my opinion about secret gov. agencies prying into our private lives - completely UnAmerican in my view and we should not allow it -but some of what I posted is just plain factual - least according to documents of the Gov. itself.)

I'll post the link to the story if any are interested. I believe it deserves a "skim" at least, if continued to be adjudged accurate as it has been for the whole investigation. The subject really has to do with Basic Liberties. This and other similar information from other news agencies and sources is as important as they are. My view anyway....

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/us...dayspaper&_r=0

BUT TO ALL OF US: DO NOT FORGET: THE INTERNET IS PUBLIC and NOW GOVERNMENT INFORMATION - AS IS EVERYTHING WE PUT ON IT! And it's getting worse and worse...
    Last edited by detective; September 6th, 2013 at 09:05 PM.
    patri0t likes this.

They can look me over but I think they will be bored.

You don't put or say anything online,that's private.That's a given.To many hackers besides the NSA and whoever else is watching.I have nothing on here top secret,so they can have at it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My NSA file would read: Spends all day on Concealed Carry Forum. No serious threat here.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Really not the point! I get what you mean though.

Back in the 90's the NSA put a ton of pressure on the creator of an encryption program called PGP to install a back door. They have been doing this kind of stuff for many years. The Leviathan has been alive for many decades. It is only recently that it has grown to where it feels comfortable enough to semi-openly reveal itself.
    Orwell, Rand, and Heinlein were all prophets.

I wouldn't ditch the encryption program, OP. Though probably useless against NSA, it could still do you some good against other users with malicious intent.
    detective likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    These are the freedoms our representatives were willing to give up for the illusion of security. There is no program no agency no intelligence in the world that can identify and stop a single terrorist willing to die for whatever cause they view as important.

Security for an individual or a city is an illusion not even a very good one.

Our previous members of congress put a restriction on the FBI and the CIA each being responsible for (FBI) US operations (CIA) no inside the US operations. Then along came the idea well if we call it a National security something and use it to catch spies they will let us continue. Then if we make the information above Special Background Investigation we can share it with the Administration and get them to give us more money. Then it was just a simple wiggle of the handle and down the Crapper our rights went.
    darbo, detective, patri0t and 1 others like this.

THEY know who I am. They know where I am. They had their chance in 96. I reckon I don't count. The seven words George Carlin told us about a way long time ago are all I got to say for the NSA bunch. TCPTITPASIT.

HUA
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    Back in the 90's the NSA put a ton of pressure on the creator of an encryption program called PGP to install a back door. They have been doing this kind of stuff for many years. The Leviathan has been alive for many decades. It is only recently that it has grown to where it feels comfortable enough to semi-openly reveal itself.
    Orwell, Rand, and Heinlein were all prophets.
    With a little help from Snowden thrown in - regardless of what you think of him I bet they'd like to roast this guy slowly over a low-fire. He made them look like they, in fact, are.

I can't imagine for a second our Founders would countenance this stuff but be horrified at such Government Over-Reach, nor our great Presidents like Lincoln look kindly on it but in a short emergency to save the country - and all of it now blamed on a vague "war on terror" - as if terrorism would just end sometime soon or ever, like WWII had to at some point. Yes, I know there is terrorism, but there always has been on and off in some shape or form and this is an easy excuse for War-Surveillance in perpetuity. We are not, in Fact, about to invade Normandy with our survival and that of other nations on the line. We are not in a position where we have to throw out the Fourth Amendment in order to remain intact - and while we need heightened surveillance, not without probable cause to "Search" a particular individual or group. That's just horse-droppings from a Gov. Agency that wants more power.

"Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely"
    patri0t, Tzadik, ccw9mm and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Me too tdave.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post

Then they shouldn't be Searching you -
    or me who they also would fall asleep reading about. But how would you like it if the Police ransacked your house in front of you and your family - then left as they tossed out to each other "Nothing really - just boring". And to you "But Don't Think We Won't Be Back To Do It Again Scumbag! WE KNOW - SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL BECOME A CRIMINAL!".

The Fact that you and I and millions upon millions of Americans who also lead normal non-terrorist, non-criminal lives - boring to Police - are SEARCHED ANYWAY is precisely the Violation of Liberty - not the thing that makes it acceptable.

I f they searched 10 people and had Probable Cause and caught 10 members of Al-Qaeda preparing the bombs for Times Square it would be OK.

What is not OK is searching 300 million people without Probable Cause on the outside chance they'll grab one terrorist. We don't do that here; that's North Korea. Where the NSA should be sent post-haste.
    Last edited by detective; September 6th, 2013 at 11:10 PM.
    Tzadik, manolito and ccw9mm like this.

I remember the Leviathan and Carnivore scanners of the early internet. There is no 'program' you can get to keep up with a Nation-State.
    The Patriot Act of 9/11 is many generations old these days. Obummer's NDAA, to name just one, far surpassed that AND our Constitution.

Also, anything posted on the I-net falls under "Broadcast Law" and has no more right to privacy than an ad in a newspaper.

One HUGE problem is that with the NSA having all our info, the Feds have a "De Facto Gun Registry", which has always been a precursor to 'Gun Confiscation'.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    I remember the Leviathan and Carnivore scanners of the early internet. There is no 'program' you can get to keep up with a Nation-State.
    The Patriot Act of 9/11 is many generations old these days. Obummer's NDAA, to name just one, far surpassed that AND our Constitution.

Also, anything posted on the I-net falls under "Broadcast Law" and has no more right to privacy than an ad in a newspaper.

One HUGE problem is that with the NSA having all our info, the Feds have a "De Facto Gun Registry", which has always been a precursor to 'Gun Confiscation'.
    It's also a precursor to "You-Confiscation".
    StormRhydr likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Washington, Obama, NSA, Putin, New York, Pelosi, Detroit, Kittens, Safe, Firearms, Orange, Bullets, Tomato, Snoden, Airplane, Reed, Boehner, Okra......oh yeah, HOT FLASHES!

How am I doing, you think they picked me out yet?
    manolito likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links