My Mom may finally get it.

This is a discussion on My Mom may finally get it. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was talking to my mom today. She went target shooting over thanksgiving with her husband and his son and daughter-in-law. She said that she ...

Thread: My Mom may finally get it.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

I was talking to my mom today. She went target shooting over thanksgiving with her husband and his son and daughter-in-law. She said that she had a blast and she wants to go shooting over Christmas with me because mom and my sister do crafts.

Now that mom is starting shooting I'm hoping to convince her to carry, but that may take time because I don't think she quite gets why I do. So it may give me an opportunity to try and get her to think about it when we go out shooting.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Great! It's always good to bring another into "the fold" ... into the thinking that accepts there's evil in the world, there are BG's who prey on the innocent (planned or random) and there are few choices for defense when it comes to SHTF situations, on the instant of the attack. Can't value that enough, that your loved ones are comfortable with the ideas. At that point, it's only a matter of time.

My folks are steadfast, though. My father's a bright guy, but he's a legitimate old fart who doesn't value alternative thinking any longer. With a few simple questions along the periphery of defensive/firearm protection, it's clear he disbelieves that anyone would need a firearm because of the simple fact that he doesn't need it. He's got a bit of the good-neighborhood blinders on, in reality. My mother, on the other hand, is a died-in-the-wool anti, who believes she would let someone steamroll over her (to the death) before lifting a finger to cause the death of another (even an attacker). She has bought the whole line about not resisting. Gut hooked. Dumbfounding, but there it is. Where I got my good sense, exactly, I'm not sure. Glad I've got it.

Of course, good sense is relative and time-dependent, it seems. Here I am up at 1am, again, speaking with you fine folks. Ha!! Ah, me. Can't have everything all the time, I suppose.

Now that mom is starting shooting I'm hoping to convince her to carry, but that may take time because I don't think she quite gets why I do.
    It's "cold" out there. To those permanently bundled in heavy coats, it's hard to see the realities. Now, it isn't very likely, it isn't even very common amongst folks we know (generally) ... but, like fire extinguishers, there are not good alternatives when the situation demands a specific response. Can't use what you don't have. Sounds like she'll get it, in time. Congrats on the opportunity.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The thing that worries me is mom has told me of some of her close calls (she's had guys follow her in Minnapolis ect.), but she falls on the concept that God will protect her, if not it's God's will. When nothing happens it makes hard to convince her otherwise.

After dad was killed we have had some very interesting discussion on God's will as far as dad's death not being prevented.

It's kinda gets hard when religion is interjected into the conversation sometimes facts can get glossed over.

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

It may be God's will...however, God gave us the ability to defend ourselves, and not to be lambs for the slaughter.

Do a search on other threads where there are Biblical references for being armed...more for your discussion with mom.

Tell Your Mom...

About Luke 22:36

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Congrats on gettin your mom out to shoot, hopefully you can get her to carry. My mom is not a gun person, but with raising three boys and having my pull my dad back into shooting, she is starting to get more used to seeing em around (although she still isn't used to me carrying). Since i bought myself my first firearm at 18 though, she knows that every year for Mothers Day we are going to go to the range together and blast off a couple hundred rounds. She seems to enjoy it, even though its prolly just because she is spending time with me. Her favorite two weapons of mine are my snub nose .357 and WASR-10 AK clone, so maybe there is hope for her yet.

As far as the religion, I spent 12 years in Catholic schools growing up, one of my religion teachers once told us this joke:

A big storm that would flood the area was on its way, and the neighbors of a woman who lived alone asked her to come with them, she replied "If God wants me to survive this flood, He will save me." so they left her.

Two days later the area was under several feet of water and the waters still rising, and the Fire Dept. came in a boat to get to woman out of her house, she replied "If God weants me to survive this flood, He will save me."

The next day the water was so high that she was stranded on her roof. A National Guard helicopter came to get her and she replied to their pleas to leave the roof "If God wants me to survive this flood, He will save me." At which point the sky parted and God said to the woman "Well who do you think sent the Helicopter? This is the last group of people I'm sending for you."

Just something to think about, sorry for the long post.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    At which point the sky parted and God said to the woman "Well who do you think sent the Helicopter? This is the last group of people I'm sending for you."
    At which point, you're on your own. Ain't it the truth. Good rationale for both (a) accepting help when it's offered and (b) providing for one's own security/defense.

Note: I like the capitalization of the word "helicopter." A bit like M.Python's skit about "thy Holy Hand Grenade." "... and let the rotors of thy Holy Helicopter rotate three times. And the number of rotations shall be three ..." Ha!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Note: I like the capitalization of the word "helicopter." A bit like M.Python's skit about "thy Holy Hand Grenade." "... and let the rotors of thy Holy Helicopter rotate three times. And the number of rotations shall be three ..." Ha!
    hahahaha!!!!!!! Awesome!

This thread made me think about how my own mom's attitude has changed. She's pretty big anti but will go shooting with me just for bonding. She's actually a pretty good shot!!! I've told her so numerous times. But she used to be a very assertive and no-nonsense woman. In the years since my parents split and she remarried she has just completely gone downhill with all of this. She never sticks up for herself anymore and would rather kiss the tail of someone she hates than say anything negative.

She essentially plays the role of a "victim" to the T.

I love that woman mercilessly but this has bugged me for such a long time. I think I'm going to sign her up for a Virginia CCW class for Christmas. Showing her the need to be the person she used to be is neccessary. Her old attitudes are a reason I learned to stand up for myself.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

My sister once told me she'd rather die at the hands of an attacker than lift a finger against another human being. I asked her "What if it was your son or daughter that was being attacked, beaten, or abused?" Her tune changed in a heartbeat... Then she could envision her aggression on the scum...

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    About Luke 22:36

ret
    I've used that one before she thinks that's not exactly what it means. The problem may be we are both to bullheaded.

Sponsored Links