Rochus Misch, The Last of Hitler's Bodyguards, Dead at Age 96

This is a discussion on Rochus Misch, The Last of Hitler's Bodyguards, Dead at Age 96 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hitler bodyguard Rochus Misch, last witness to Fuehrer's final hours, dies at 96 | Fox News Misch was in the bunker until the end. What ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By welder516
  • 4 Post By Mike1956
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By maxwell97

Thread: Rochus Misch, The Last of Hitler's Bodyguards, Dead at Age 96

Rochus Misch, The Last of Hitler's Bodyguards, Dead at Age 96

Hitler bodyguard Rochus Misch, last witness to Fuehrer's final hours, dies at 96 | Fox News

Misch was in the bunker until the end. What a surreal environment the last week must have been. History is quickly closing the chapter on WWII; the last who fought on all sides will soon be gone.

2. Remove Ads

This was an interesting read. I like history.

The guy had nothing but good to say about Adolph but we all know many people idolized the man even in the face of the terror he was generating. Hitler had that affect upon many of the people who supported him, sad to say. He could probably have stepped on a litter of puppies and the support people would be praising him.

I think the old man was living in a bit of denial over the "Final Solution to the Jewish Question" and perhaps knew that Jews were being exterminated but could not bring himself to admit to it. Hitler, while never personally doing the extermination, certainly was not stopping it and had encouraged the practice. Misch chose to deny anything wrong about Hitler. That is the sadness to all of it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    This is the very thing that is wrong with "Sheeple" alot of people turned thier backs perhaps they lived better lifes being close to Hitler . Or maybe they agreed with the policies of killing . This man had to know what was going on . I do not believe anyone will loss any sleep with his death .

And on a second note it is said Charles Mansion did not kill anyone but look where he is . He should have been put down years ago and so should his followers .
    Jeanlouise and Buler like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    On Rosh Hashanah, no less. Adonai has a sense of humor.
    PEF, CanuckQue, lionround and 1 others like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

It is unlikely that Misch had any real knowledge of what was happening outside of his immediate area with respect to the Jews, etc. Remember, this was a day long before television. All radio and newspaper content was very tightly controlled. Propaganda ruled. The average German, and the average German soldier, truly had no clue what was happening in the big picture. It is not surprising at all that Misch, in his late teens when the turmoil began and only about 22 when selected to be one of Hitler's bodyguards, idolized the man. Nearly all Germans did. If you are not a student of what caused the conditions under which someone like Hitler could rise to power, and ultimately lead to WWII, a full understanding of the idolization isn't possible. For the German of 1935-43, Adolf Hitler was a God.....and should have been. May Misch RIP.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Hero worship generally goes bad in the end.
    welder516 and CIBMike like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It's easy enough to despise men like this for their support of such an evil regime, and we should hold them morally accountable. However, the most important history lesson we need to take away here is how easy it is to overlook evil when we think it's in the service of some greater good.

This is a common enough attitude in America as well. Fascism is generally reviled here, as it should be; our weakness is Communism. Talk to the average college student - or professor - and as much as they hate Hitler, they won't have a bad thing to say about Stalin, Mao, Castro, or Pol Pot, who were every bit as evil. Some students won't even know who they were, while those who do and the profs are disgustingly sympathetic to them.

Until we get serious about it and root such scum out of our own educational system, I have to take the popular hatred of Nazis with a grain of salt. Lesson not yet learned.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    On Rosh Hashanah, no less. Adonai has a sense of humor.
    He created all of us . The Evil people have no place in my heart
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    It's easy enough to despise men like this for their support of such an evil regime, and we should hold them morally accountable. However, the most important history lesson we need to take away here is how easy it is to overlook evil when we think it's in the service of some greater good.

This is a common enough attitude in America as well. Fascism is generally reviled here, as it should be; our weakness is Communism. Talk to the average college student - or professor - and as much as they hate Hitler, they won't have a bad thing to say about Stalin, Mao, Castro, or Pol Pot, who were every bit as evil. Some students won't even know who they were, while those who do and the profs are disgustingly sympathetic to them.

Until we get serious about it and root such scum out of our own educational system, I have to take the popular hatred of Nazis with a grain of salt. Lesson not yet learned.
    Very well said. Charismatic leaders are the most dangerous because they can convince good people to do terrible things for "the cause", whatever that might be.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I find it striking, that apparantly quite many significant SS-Veterans reach a very high age, as did Rochus Misch.
    That speaks for itself!
    In my close neighbourhood there lives a 87 year old german SS-Veteran from the SS-Panzerdivision Wiking. He still
    rides around on his mountain-bike like a youngling. I heard Rochus Misch answer on questions about his time
    in the Führerbunker. He makes an authentic and honorable impression on me - his answers and bodylanguage
    match with each other!

The Meeting:

Misch aside for the moment, Himmler had a meeting with the high-flyers in the SS, revealing in detail the extermination of the Jews including children. This was a psychological master-stroke, for it left them accomplices to an act they suspected but could never accept they were participating in. Now they knew and knew what they were doing and were intensely uncomfortable hearing it - and trapped - for they also knew they would be continuing to do it.

Somewhere on YouTube is the actual film of the speech, but here is the audio and translation. Chilling. Absolutely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a_cmbi3iIg

Links