Define "Redneck"

This is a discussion on Define "Redneck" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife has taken to calling me a redneck as of late (mostly because I have guns and hunt). I personally don't think I am; ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Define "Redneck"

Define "Redneck"

My wife has taken to calling me a redneck as of late (mostly because I have guns and hunt). I personally don't think I am; but don't think being a redneck is necessarily a bad thing either.

This has gotten me thinking, what makes someone a redneck?
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

Red neck, White socks, and... Blue ribbon beer

VIP Member
    Perhaps your wife will explain what she means if you ask her.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

It usually manifests itself from people who have no idea what a true redneck is. Often used to define someone who is a "gun nut", whatever that is. It is a derrogatory term to say the least but around this area of the country, a redneck can be pride or being from a rural area and not some thug infected city. Yes, there is crime in the country, too....but nowhere near the violence of the urban areas.

Redneck is a rural country boy/girl with little education who goes out ans works hard for a living to provide for his/her family. It is generally used as a derrogatory term to indicate something contrary to what someone else should be and around here we hear it most from urbanites. Please, don't think I'm slamming your wife. As a commenter stated above, ask your wife what she thinks it is.

When it all comes crashing in around us...economically and infra-structure is gone...who will be able to provide for his family ? The urban dweller or the "redneck" ??....he can fish, hunt, and protect his family. Probably has a garden, too, nearby. Most urbanites will have their hands outstretched seeking help.

Hell peole call me a redneck because I listen to country music. I dont fit into any mold I am me and that is all.

VIP Member
    Show her this definition and see if she still calls you a redneck:

"You know you're a redneck when......your wife weighs more than your pickup truck.........."

(Sorry -- the devil made me do it...............)
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Here in my area of S.C., it's something people take great pride in being called. Around here, I'm a damn yankee.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Historical Scottish Covenanter usage

In Scotland in the 1640s, the Covenanters rejected rule by bishops, often signing manifestos using their own blood. Some wore red cloth around their neck to signify their position, and were called rednecks by the Scottish ruling class to denote that they were the rebels in what came to be known as The Bishop's War that preceded the rise of Cromwell. Eventually, the term began to mean simply "Presbyterian", especially in communities along the Scottish border. Because of the large number of Scottish immigrants in the pre-revolutionary American south, some historians have suggested that this may be the origin of the term in the United States.

Dictionaries document the earliest American citation of the term's use for Presbyterians in 1830, as "a name bestowed upon the Presbyterians of Fayetteville , N C
    msgt/ret and Jaeger like this.

I think if everyone had just a little bit 'o red neck in 'em, the world would be a much better place!

Define the words RED NECK?

My buddy Shane.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

VIP Member
    If directions to your house include: drive to the end of the paved road, there are two ATVs in the shed by the road, ride them until you get to the creek, cross the foot log then we are a mile around the hill. You just might be a Redneck. (Shamelessly stolen from Jeff Foxworthy)
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

A redneck is similar to a hillbilly. Generally uneducated, crude, and rough. Often lives in a run-down trailer or modular house, owns guns, decorates the wall with deer heads and football memorabilia, and has either a crappy old truck or a very expensive truck and a crappy old car to serve as a lawn ornament. Keeps multiple flea-ridden dogs in the yard, wears a Confederate flag bandana and either overalls or a "wife-beater" shirt (when a redneck goes to town, he dresses up in a stained Budweiser T-shirt with no fewer than two holes in it). Often smokes and/or chews tobacco. Makes all household repairs with duct-tape and keeps a can of WD-40 within reach at all times. Says "y'all" and "ain't" and thinks that's good grammar.

Frequently people call someone with any of these traits a "redneck", regardless of if they actually fit the type, so it becomes self-propagating. Fixing something with duct tape is often called a "redneck repair". People who think it's not normal to own multiple guns call those who do "rednecks", etc. So I'm guessing your wife heard it misused and applied it as she'd heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    It usually manifests itself from people who have no idea what a true redneck is. Often used to define someone who is a "gun nut", whatever that is. It is a derrogatory term to say the least but around this area of the country, a redneck can be pride or being from a rural area and not some thug infected city. Yes, there is crime in the country, too....but nowhere near the violence of the urban areas.

Redneck is a rural country boy/girl with little education who goes out and works hard for a living to provide for his/her family. It is generally used as a derrogatory term to indicate something contrary to what someone else should be and around here we hear it most from urbanites. Please, don't think I'm slamming your wife. As a commenter stated above, ask your wife what she thinks it is.

When it all comes crashing in around us...economically and infra-structure is gone...who will be able to provide for his family ? The urban dweller or the "redneck" ??....he can fish, hunt, and protect his family. Probably has a garden, too, nearby. Most urbanites will have their hands outstretched seeking help.
    USM1976 gives a good explanation too.
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. --Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --Albert Einstein
    You taught us to imagine, and we imagined your irrelevance! --Dalek Caan

The current wikipedia definition seems accurate.

Redneck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Redneck is a derogatory slang term used in reference to poor, uneducated white farmers, especially from the southern United States. It is similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Georgia and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks), and white trash (but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).

By the 2000s, the term had expanded in meaning to refer to bigoted, loutish reactionaries who are opposed to modern ways, and has often been used to attack white Southern conservatives. The term is used broadly to degrade working class and rural whites that are perceived by urban progressives to be insufficiently liberal. At the same time, some Southern whites have reclaimed the word, using it with pride and defiance as a self-identifier.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member
    From growing up in the South my whole life I had heard my grandmother (that passed at 100yo) tell me it represented the Farmers (mostly poor back in the day) and the fact that while in the garden their neck was sun burnt but they kept their shirts on so it was only the neck that got red from the sun.

This is also why you will see pictures of Southern Bell's holding umbrellas ~ which in turn gave the wealthy the name of Blue Blood (what my grandmother was called...but I never saw the money). The reason for the term Blue Blood was that the skin was so fair from NOT working outside in the sun so that you could see the veins in their skin.

A little known Southern history
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

You know you're a redneck when all your cars are on cinder blocks, because you sold the tires to get your Hi Point back from the pawn shop.

Come on, guys!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links